Best tasting catfish.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by chief262 View Post
    No doubt just make sure to get all the silver lining off!
    FYI, an op doesn't have that "silver lining"... That's exclusive to channel cats. the inside of and op's belly is a whitish layer of fat that must be removed.

The way we do it is just take the belly fillets of sorts and partially freeze them. The fat gets stiff first and is easily removed.

For as good as an op is, if you get a bite of that fat, you won't like it one bit. It's Baaaad! To clean an op properly takes some good effort and there's a lot of "waste" to them. As I posted earlier in the post above where I posted my personal best, an 86 pound op... it yielded only a little over 30 pounds of edible fish... That edible fish is the very best there is though!!

Comment

Comparing a flatty to a channel is like comparing a fillet to a round steak, no comparison.

Comment

Lake fork Op we used to catch on the trot line. They had their own freezer all to themselves. Everything else had a separate freezer and was used at fish fries

Comment

Gaftop all the way

Comment

Originally posted by red-fin View Post
            Crappie......
            Yes sir! No comparison.

Comment

Originally posted by Fishndude View Post
              For you “hi/high fin” blue cat guys...

There’s no such thing. Lol!! A blue cat is a blue cat.
              Since you're wanting to be so specific, let's go with Ictalurus furcatus good grief, there is more than one common name for species of fish. I know some folks are sticklers, but sheesh

Comment

And yes, I had to look up "Ictalurus furcatus" blue cat, blue catfish, hi-fin blue, catfish, tomato tomatoe

Comment

The ones I cook!!

Comment

Anyone have the ability to post real pictures of the various catfish?

Comment

Originally posted by alwaysinshorts View Post
                      Anyone have the ability to post real pictures of the various catfish?
                      Google has a bunch

Sent from my SM-G892U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Pintail45 View Post
                        Hardheads, of course.

Comment

Originally posted by rtp View Post
                          Follow that up immediately with a McRib and you will be ready for a colonoscopy the next day.
                          That McPorkazz will do it on it's own.
                          Originally posted by Smart View Post
                          He loves Burger King over both of those..
                          Awe hell no!

Comment

Flatheads by far are the best. Then channels and don't overlook a mess of bullheads from running water. Blues are the most fun to catch cause they are so mean and hit and fight like a 40lb bass. Small blues eat pretty good but the big ones get released to fight another day. 7 to 8 lb blue is the biggest I will keep and prefer those around 2 lb for eating. Other than some big steaks off of a nice flathead those 12-14" channels fried up whole are hard to beat. Unless you have a basket full of slab crappie

Comment

The kind mama san and papa san raise in their little pond under their house and export to the US from Vietnam for a cheap catfish dinner in a lot restaurants

Comment

from the picture above which one is an OP?

Comment

Working...
                                X