Announcement

Collapse

TBH Maintenance

Ongoing TBH Website maintenance this evening. Your TBH visit may not be optimal during this service window.
See more
See less

I'm Done With Deer Processing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm Done With Deer Processing

With the prices going up every year to have a deer processed it time to start doing my own. I have a big smoker and have made sausage many times, so I guess now is a good time to start doing my own. Couple friends had their deer processed and the money was crazy at what they charge. I know they had quite a bit of sausage and pencil sticks done, but the rest was hamburger and steaks which only takes seconds to cut and package. I know they work hard for their money, but the prices have gotten way up there these days.

Originally posted by Grant2 View Post
    With the prices going up every year to have a deer processed it time to start doing my own. I have a big smoker and have made sausage many times, so I guess now is a good time to start doing my own. Couple friends had their deer processed and the money was crazy at what they charge. I know they had quite a bit of sausage and pencil sticks done, but the rest was hamburger and steaks which only takes seconds to cut and package. I know they work hard for their money, but the prices have gotten way up there these days.
    You've made a wise choice.

Comment

Yep. I started doing my own a few years ago. I've already made the money I spent on equipment back.

Comment

Making my own sausage and hamburger meat always makes me feel a bit more proud of the accomplishment. Especially since we use a hand crank grinder!

Comment

Same conclusion I drew this year about processing our own deer. Wish me luck, I'm trying to make my first batch of deer jerky tonight. Next is sausage making.

Regards,

Dave

Comment

I know if you take 5 deer to have done your bill alone will pay for all the equipment you would need. You would only need your smoker for the sausage.

Comment

Will definitely save you some coin. I’ve always done my own but with three kids and being busy this time of year it’s just easier to pay someone.

Comment

I made the same decision several years back, then few years later I stopped shooting them so I wouldn't have to process them. Now I just go to stand and watch deer, and hope for a pig or coyote to come by so I can shoot something.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Comment

I know it's definitely a lot of work, but a few buddies and beer we will get it done LOL!

Comment

I have never paid a dime to process mine. My deer, my trimmings, my steaks, my sausage, my time. You have chosen wisely.

Comment

I've been thinking about doing this too. What's the mix ratio when making burger out of deer?

Comment

I do everything but my own smoked sausage. I just don't have the setup or experience/recipe to do it. One day I will build a smoker and see what I can do but for now I will keep taking it to the coon *** that has it down!

Comment

Since I turn everything into hamburger I go straight from the hoof to bagged and in freezer. I just hang skinned deer next to me and cut off strips and chunks grind with chili blade into ice chest. Then I grind some brisket into chest. Take mortar mixer on drill and mix up. Run meat through a second time on hamburger blade and bagging tube and straight to freezer in 1# marked packages.

And it isn't much more work. I do it at the house but you could travel with grinder and easily come home with processed hamburger from your trip.

Comment

Originally posted by Bazo View Post
                            I've been thinking about doing this too. What's the mix ratio when making burger out of deer?
                            I buy briskets when HEB puts them on sale and go about 50/50 but not exact. I just weigh the deer then buy as many briskets as I need to cover that and error on the side of more beef.

Comment

Making my own sausage and hamburger meat always makes me feel a bit more proud of the accomplishment. Especially since we use a hand crank grinder!

Ive got a hand crank grinder too.... took the handle off, put a belt and a chevy alternator on it. Its electric now!

Comment

Working...
                              X