Announcement

Collapse

TBH Maintenance

Ongoing TBH Website maintenance this evening. Your TBH visit may not be optimal during this service window.
See more
See less

School Me on Turkeys! Going to Kansas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I go to Kansas every year and kill a bird on public land. All I take is a crow call a Push Button Yelper call, and some decoys. If you can get in the woods before dark and find where they roost you can set up on them in the morning if not get there early and about 1/2 hour before sunrise hit the crow call they should go off on that, move fast to get close to where you heard them, set up and get ready. Once they hit the ground start the yelper, (sometime I hit it before they come down if they are far away, but doing this means they may land to close to you.) (Note: the call is not loud and it doesn't have to be also less is more) hit it a few times and stop maybe 5 mins or so, if they start your way just wait, maybe hit it once or twice in 10 min if they don't seem to be coming and if they are going the other way try and move up on them. It's a trial and error hunt, anyway I have killed a lot of turkeys with that push button.
    Last edited by Bassdeer; 11-27-2017, 04:10 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Bassdeer View Post
      I go to Kansas every year and kill a bird on public land. All I take is a crow call a Push Button Yelper call, and some decoys. If you can get in the woods before dark and find where they roost you can set up on them in the morning if not get there early and about 1/2 hour before sunrise hit the crow call they should go off on that, move fast to get close to where you heard them, set up and get ready. Once they hit the ground start the yelper, (sometime I hit it before they come down if they are far away, but doing this means they may land to close to you.) (Note: the call is not loud and it doesn't have to be also less is more) hit it a few times and stop maybe 5 mins or so, if they start your way just wait, maybe hit it once or twice in 10 min if they don't seem to be coming and if they are going the other way try and move up on them. It's a trial and error hunt, anyway I have killed a lot of turkeys with that push button.
      What push button call do you use? I have deer hunted this place many times and the landowner will most likely know where they are roosting, he usually does anyway. How close do you setup to the roost before daylight?

Comment

Working...
      X