Duck hunting on public land

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by CisternHunter View Post
    Hunted the Opener of the second split in Matagorda this past weekend. About 45 minutes before shooting light a boat pulls up and says "you're gonna have to get out of our blind or scoot over" Them locals sure are touchy and protective about "their" blinds on public land. Oh, and we didn't get out of the blind.
    Haha I would have stayed too!

Comment

Ducks errywhere!

Comment

Hunted the Opener of the second split in Matagorda this past weekend. About 45 minutes before shooting light a boat pulls up and says "you're gonna have to get out of our blind or scoot over" Them locals sure are touchy and protective about "their" blinds on public land. Oh, and we didn't get out of the blind.
        Had that happen in Jacks bayou, except that is not public if you touch the bottom.....

Comment

Originally posted by duckmanep View Post
          I post this on every duck thread I see in hopes of finally meeting some TBH'ers on the water.... hasn't happened yet.

Man, the spot where I crappie fish (and catch limits every time) is the perfect spot for duck hunting too! Right where a little creek runs into the lake.

38°12'20.6"N 97°38'51.3"E
          38.205715, 97.647588
          Didnt know there were crappie to be had in China!

Comment

If you want a honey hole, get on google earth and start finding water. Use that with the local GIS for the county to find land owners. Then either call them or send them a nice letter asking for permission. I highly suggest you try this during the summer before the season starts. But you'd be amazed at how few folks who own land give two cheets about ducks.

Comment

Originally posted by TWP View Post
              But you'd be amazed at how few folks who own land give two cheets about ducks.
              LOL they're learning quick, 20 years ago a duck lease was unheard of in our area of central texas, now just about every place with a soil conservation lake on their property sounds like a war every saturday morning.

Comment

Good on you, can't claim public property by popping up a blind.

Comment

Originally posted by justletmein View Post
                  Good on you, can't claim public property by popping up a blind.
                  No, not really. Why would you hunt a blind on opening day that you didn’t put up? Really didn’t think the guy that built it was gonna be back that morning?

Comment

Originally posted by Reel Screamer View Post
                    No, not really. Why would you hunt a blind on opening day that you didn’t put up? Really didn’t think the guy that built it was gonna be back that morning?
                    I wouldn't, I'd hunt in the brush nearby though. Doesn't matter if the late-sleeper comes back or not if someone else is there first. PUBLIC property can't be claimed by simply building something. You want a blind that's fine, get there first when the time comes.
                    Last edited by justletmein; 12-18-2017, 09:11 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by CastAndBlast View Post
                      Not too difficult to have success on public land...just find public land close to you. Then do the opposite of what every other hunter is doing. If they use large spreads and mojos, throw out a small spread. If they are all calling their arses off, don’t call. If they are all on big water, find small water, if they are all hunting on Saturday, hunt during the week. If they are all hunting out of big blinds, hunt in natural cover. You get the idea.

I killed a lot of birds on public land in my college years, but I had time, scouted a lot, and observed a lot of other hunters.
                      Wam, bam thank you sam. you are correct

Comment

Originally posted by justletmein View Post
                        I wouldn't, I'd hunt in the brush nearby though. Doesn't matter if the late-sleeper comes back or not if someone else is there first. PUBLIC property can't be claimed by simply building something. You want a blind that's fine, get there first when the time comes.
                        Wam bam thank you sam you are correct

Comment

Working...
                        X