Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Payroll check bounced...advise?

Here's the situation.

My side job is in the medical field, at a large operation.

I just got a notification that the check from 2 pay periods ago bounced, the most recent check is still in my posessio , as I haven't had time to make it to the bank.

I texted my supervisor and told her what happened and that I plan to call HR Monday morning to see if the issue can be resolved. By no means was I not polite.

My next shifts scheduled are tuesday and Friday of this week. I told that I will not be working until this issue is resolved. Her reply was "I will enforce the policies 100% if you do not show up for work."

Is this legal?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Originally posted by wlgorman View Post
    Here's the situation.

My side job is in the medical field, at a large operation.

I just got a notification that the check from 2 pay periods ago bounced, the most recent check is still in my posessio , as I haven't had time to make it to the bank.

I texted my supervisor and told her what happened and that I plan to call HR Monday morning to see if the issue can be resolved. By no means was I not polite.

My next shifts scheduled are tuesday and Friday of this week. I told that I will not be working until this issue is resolved. Her reply was "I will enforce the policies 100% if you do not show up for work."

Is this legal?

Also, this is not my primary means of income and I am by no means dependent on it. This is a "Batman account" side job

Comment

Can you cash the check in your hand at your employers bank??

Comment

I don't know if it's legal or not, but I'm not working if I'm not getting paid.

Comment

I hope it's just a clerical error but yes; you can be held accountable for failing to show up at work.
          Last edited by Chef; 11-25-2017, 03:54 PM.

Comment

What the hell is a Batman account?

Comment

Call TWC and get advice.

That’s not a pretty situation.

Comment

Originally posted by zztex View Post
                What the hell is a Batman account?
                Hobby money

Comment

I had that happen one time. I did some Sheetrock work for a contractor after Katrina. Ended up sitting outside his home until he pulled into his driveway at 9:00 at night. We had a “pleasant” conversation about his finances and why he should return phone calls. He offered me a check from a different account. We ended up going to the ATM together and getting cash. I was livid. Turns out he had a bad gambling problem and ended up “killing himself” a year or so later. I have my suspicions on that as well. I hope your situation works out.

Comment

Originally posted by Lawhunter View Post
                    I had that happen one time. I did some Sheetrock work for a contractor after Katrina. Ended up sitting outside his home until he pulled into his driveway at 9:00 at night. We had a “pleasant” conversation about his finances and why he should return phone calls. He offered me a check from a different account. We ended up going to the ATM together and getting cash. I was livid. Turns out he had a bad gambling problem and ended up “killing himself” a year or so later. I have my suspicions on that as well. I hope your situation works out.
                    Wow!

Comment

Tell them to pound sand. Let her enforce a check that goes through.

Comment

I dang sure wouldn't be working for free. I would try to cash the check you still have at there bank and see what happens.

Comment

Texas is an employment at will state so she can fire you for any reason or no reason as long as the reason is not against the law. The matter of the bounced checks is something you can take up with the TWC. They will likely get you your money but it might take some time.

Comment

on one hand, you aren't working, you aren't making money...on the other hand, you didn't make money for the work you already put in for the last two pay periods...personally, call TWC for enforcement to get your money and then find another batman job....

Fool me once, shame on you; fool me twice, shame on me.....

not sure what the third time is but I generally make it a point not to find out the third time around...

just my opinion....if you aren't forced by law or on other straits....toodles....

Comment

I would be calling the local DA.

The fish are biting, and there's hogs to be kilt. Gotta go!

Comment

Working...
                              X