Announcement

Collapse

TBH Maintenance

Ongoing TBH Website maintenance this evening. Your TBH visit may not be optimal during this service window.
See more
See less

Payroll check bounced...advise?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wonder if he can cash the check in hand it at one of those check cashing places?

Comment

You don't have a red stapler by any chance do you?

Comment

Try to cash the check at the bank the check is written from on Monday. If it doesn't work meet in person with your supervisor and calmly tell him or her that you cannot work for free.

Comment

Can you file a theft by fraud with the local county sheriff?

Comment

I would.give them Monday to pay me even up, after I cashed the check I had at their bank. If they wouldn't make it right on Monday, I would say, "I'm giving you my 2 weeks notice, but my last actual day on the job was last week".

How much notice will they give you if they are going to terminate you?

And the other folks are correct. If they go under it might be an at once and done thing.

Comment

You need to be the first one to cash your pay check at their bank, do not deposit it at your bank.

From my experience TWC will file a claim for you as long as the company is not in bankruptcy proceedings. Just remember they are funded by employer contributions and are more interested in keeping your company as a sorce of funding than getting your pay checks cashed. If the company is in bankruptcy they're going to most likely let the bankruptcy court settle your claim pennies on the dollar while the lawyers make off like bandits.

Comment

Originally posted by wlgorman View Post
                Privately owned. Been working there for around 14 months.

Hundreds of employees

Well known that this place is having financial problems.

Thanks for the advice folks. I'll call HR on Monday. I posted this within minutes of opening the envelope from my bank with the returned check

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Private ambulance company by chance?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Been in that same situation, yes they can fire you if you don't show up lol, but they still owe you for what you worked and if you continue to work. In my case I kept going to work and they eventually caught up but I was careful to immediately cash future checks and not spend the money before they cleared.

Comment

I would talk to HR Monday morning. This does happen, but is rare... Many larger companies have several different operating accounts. Someone probably forgot to move enough money to the payroll account this month.. not surprising if they are short on cash to begin with...

You might want to start looking for a different side gig, batman.

Comment

Originally posted by TXJIM View Post
                      You don't have a red stapler by any chance do you?

Comment

Again, Have you called the bank the payroll check was drawn on, especially if it is a local bank? If it is as big of a company as you indicate, they probably have an out f town bank for payroll.

Have you asked your bank to try to reclear/redeposit the payroll check?

What is the name of the company? We may can assist you in checking out their finances.

Comment

As a banker sometimes I see checks bounce for good companies but 9/10 times it's a Positive Pay issue and not a cash in the bank issue. Positive Pay is a fraud protection service that banks offer. It requires the business to enter all check info into the system so that when a check is presented to the bank its verified through this system. If the check wasn't entered by the business, it will bounce. This means fraudsters get blocked but it also means if a bookkeeper forgot to put your paycheck into the system then you don't get paid.

Comment

Originally posted by HoustonHunter View Post
                            As a banker sometimes I see checks bounce for good companies but 9/10 times it's a Positive Pay issue and not a cash in the bank issue. Positive Pay is a fraud protection service that banks offer. It requires the business to enter all check info into the system so that when a check is presented to the bank its verified through this system. If the check wasn't entered by the business, it will bounce. This means fraudsters get blocked but it also means if a bookkeeper forgot to put your paycheck into the system then you don't get paid.
                            I had the exact same thing happened to me a couple of months ago. I work an off-duty job for a college doing security. My monthly check was no good but the college caught the mistake before I did. The new check was issued the next day.

The system they used (probably the same one) required the entry of each check and it was during the aftermath of Hurricane Harvey. The data entry was not made so the checks were not valid.

Comment

In for the result. Good luck.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparkles View Post
                                Private ambulance company by chance?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                                Hospital

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                                X