No announcement yet.

Kids Rifle Caliber

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My wife is using a 243. We are fixin to step her up to the 7mm08. 243 has been ok but I have told her to shoot again after shots were high shoulder or behind the shoulder.

Not a bad round, i'm just not impressed with the knock down. The 08 will be with reduced loads. We shall see how it works

Comment

Originally posted by sambo73 View Post
      who makes one?
      I've got 2, Ruger and Remington. Not sure if this caliber is still in production.

Comment

Comment

My 3 kids and Bride have all killed with a Ruger youth model 243. It does great

Comment

Originally posted by RMW View Post
            I've got 2, Ruger and Remington. Not sure if this caliber is still in production.

Ah ok. Havent seen any lately.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Regarding recoil 7mm-08 > 243

I really like to 7mm-08 but for a 10 yr old I’d go with 243.

Comment

Lots of good gun suggestions in this thread. I will say a couple years back my dad decided he wanted a 7mm-08 and I was skeptical of the round. Since then it has proven itself, but I don't think it is any less felt recoil then a well made .270
                My son is 9 and light framed (family genetics). He did not like my Browning 223 early this year way before season started. No problem, but while out hunting he asked for my rifle and shot his first buck. I carry a .270 HE said he noticed it bump him, but now that is the gun he thinks he wants. Again he is light framed, but shoots it very well. He also plugged about a 50# pig this year at over 200 yards.
                Lots of story line here, but just wanted to point out, you don't have to use an ultralight caliber because they are kids. I agree with the comments about. Get something they can grow into and keep shooting, not something that will be setting in the safe after the first season, and be looking for another gun.

Comment

6.5 Grendel

Comment

300 blackout & 6.8SPC are worth considering along with the grendal...I like these shorter larger bore low recoil rounds over the 24 bore.

My Great Grandmothers 257 Roberts is what we went to for a kids first gun.

Comment

Got the 243 w synthetic stock and
                      85 grain bullets. Added 18 oz of BB's to stock for my 8 year old girl. No recoil. Wouldn't change hey thing about this setup for kids

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Comment

Both my boys (11 and 10) have a 7mm-08 and love them.

Comment

Originally posted by CrookedArrow View Post
                          My wife is using a 243. We are fixin to step her up to the 7mm08. 243 has been ok but I have told her to shoot again after shots were high shoulder or behind the shoulder.

Not a bad round, i'm just not impressed with the knock down. The 08 will be with reduced loads. We shall see how it works

7-08 with reduced ammo will carry less energy than full power 243.

Comment

I love the 7mm-08. It's one of my favorite calibers and my go-to medium game rifle.
                            For a kid, I would consider putting a brake on it. Heck, I wish I had a brake on mine. Not that it's punishing or anything but it's just nice to be able to see the bullet splash in the scope.

I guide a lot of kids and it's surprising how many of them have terrible trigger control, follow through and flinching habits caused by learning on a gun with too much recoil.

My personal picks would be 7mm-08 or 6.5 CM with a brake or 22-250, .223. or 300 BLK without the brake.

Comment

7mm-08 is what I started my son off with. 139gn bullet vs 100 for .243.
                              Also look into the 6.5 creedmoor not much recoil with that round and he would be in the cool kids club.

Comment

Originally posted by bboswell View Post
                                7-08 with reduced ammo will carry less energy than full power 243.

Yep.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Working...
                                X