Announcement

Collapse

TBH Maintenance

Ongoing TBH Website maintenance this evening. Your TBH visit may not be optimal during this service window.
See more
See less

Weird chicken egg

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by tex4k View Post
    Those usually show up at the beginning of the laying cycle, looks like one of your hens is about ready to shut down for winter vacation or could be coming out of molt and getting the egg system started up and running again.
    We have 6 hens and have only been getting 5 eggs so maybe the last one is starting to lay.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Comment

I have had that very thing happen several times, sorry, but I have no clue as to why. I guess it is just part of it.

Comment

I asked my MIL- she has chickens. She said that she randomly gets them too, she also has no explanation. So I guess it seems like a somewhat regular occurrence. She also said lately she’s been getting a few eggs that do not have a hard shell. She called them jelly eggs..... anyone know a reason on those?

Comment

That's pretty funny

Comment

Originally posted by LivinADream View Post
            We have 6 hens and have only been getting 5 eggs so maybe the last one is starting to lay.

Have you cracked the little one yet? Kinda curious if it has a tiny little yolk...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Army of Dad View Post
              Have you cracked the little one yet? Kinda curious if it has a tiny little yolk...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
              Yes, no yolk. Just white

Comment

Originally posted by em12 View Post
                I asked my MIL- she has chickens. She said that she randomly gets them too, she also has no explanation. So I guess it seems like a somewhat regular occurrence. She also said lately she’s been getting a few eggs that do not have a hard shell. She called them jelly eggs..... anyone know a reason on those?
                The hens need calcium, go to your local feed store and get some oyster shell for, just put a small open container of it in the pen with them, let them eat it free choice. Also crushing your eggshells, brown them slightly then feed them back to the hens will help also

Comment

Originally posted by coy-ote View Post
                  chicken little?
                  lol

Comment

Diminutive eggs like these are known as wind eggs, witch eggs, fairy eggs, or more affectionately, fart eggs. They’re usually yolkless if a hen hasn’t released a yolk yet by the time her body starts producing the shell. In those cases, a bit of reproductive tissue breaks off inside the oviduct and triggers the formation of an egg by tricking the hen’s body into thinking the tissue is a yolk.
                    Read more at https://www.gardenbetty.com/the-myst...xbgjHtiwx7i.99

Comment

Maybe it fell off your rooster? Was it a pair? Kaitlyn Jenner chicken

Comment

Working...
                      X