Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

So Who Else Is Paying $1000/month For Health Insurance?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by smithnwesson View Post
    $229 a month for me, wife and 4 kids med dental and vision - work for the railroad

What percentage does the company supplement?

Comment

Originally posted by jerp View Post
      After letting it sit on the counter for several weeks I finally opened my letter from BC/BS. For my wife and myself our new premium has gone up another 18% to $1,770/month. So over a years time we will pay in $21,240. Our combined deductible is $13,000. If we hit that we will have paid over $34,000 for two people. The individual market is a effed'-up nightmare.
      X100000000000

We are in the same boat!

Comment

Originally posted by Pineywoods View Post
        Nope. $0 per month....no insurance. It's an absolute racket. @$1000 per month with $7000 deductable that's 19k per year! That pays lots of medical bills.
        Piney,
        This is exactly how i'm starting to think about it. Save that money and put it in the bank instead!!

Comment

Originally posted by manwitaplan View Post
          I went with Christian Healthcare Ministries. 450.00 a month for entire family. I am responsible for anything under 500.00.

Actually if we go we just ask for the cash pay rate and you would be surprised at the discount we get.

My daughter had to be seen for a hurt hand at the urgent care. For the X-ray, dr visit, and splint it cost me 142.00. My wife wants normal insurance but I explained that it would be 19,000 a year before insurance paid a dime.

Sent from my iPhone using Dilly Dilly!
          MWP, i heard about them but was skeptical. Have you had any medical bills that they have paid, or denied yet?

Comment

Originally posted by Bayouboy View Post
            You may think so. But, he is making some very good points. And, he works in the system.
            It is obvious actually. I never saw him DEFEND the system but show that folks are missing the point to why it is time to stop yelling at each other. The system is effed up but having blinders on to what is happening NOW is not going to fix it. 14 years ago I sat in on two upper level meetings about the direction of health care...........the conclusion was it was not going to survive. Then the last administration took that public information and swung the pendulum completely to FAR the other direction. NOW, we voted for individuals (2012 & 2016) to "REPEAL and REPLACE" with something better.........heck........something between what we had and what we are dealing with now is the RIGHT answer. It is not majic to get there but obviously those folks in CONGRESS have said screw the folks that put us here.....as we LOVE the plan WE have!!! Sorry, that is TRUTH!

Comment

Originally posted by TKK View Post
              I have posted many times before. Careful with these plans. They ARE NOT insurance. Read contract carefully. Many have limits and in a large, loan term claim you may be SOL
              nor is my insurance plan much insurance......

Comment

Originally posted by Henry View Post
                MWP, i heard about them but was skeptical. Have you had any medical bills that they have paid, or denied yet?
                I did lot's of research on the different ones. I liked the liberty share model since you pay into Liberty Share and they write the checks. One big difference is they exclude some pre-existing conditions which "normal" insurance companies can't do. Also they don't cover prescriptions but our insurance was gutting the prescriptions anyway. I went with high deductible and HSA at work but if it goes up much I will likely go the Liberty Share route.

Comment

The most politically impossible factor is also one of the most critical. Forcing insurance companies to cover people who don't buy a policy until they get sick blows up all the risk formulas. How do they allow for that? (I understand having to insure pre existing conditions if they already had a policy and were forced to buy a new one due to a job change.) The whole concept of insurance is protecting yourself from future events. The companies know how to take those risks and spread them around. Paying for things that have already happened is not insurance. They have to figure out a way to create high risk pools for the uninsured who have pre existing conditions and are in the individual market. Where will that money come from? Good question - there are a lot of people much smarter than me who apparently have yet to figure it out
                  Last edited by jerp; 11-26-2017, 02:46 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Landrover View Post
                    It is obvious actually. I never saw him DEFEND the system but show that folks are missing the point to why it is time to stop yelling at each other. The system is effed up but having blinders on to what is happening NOW is not going to fix it. 14 years ago I sat in on two upper level meetings about the direction of health care...........the conclusion was it was not going to survive. Then the last administration took that public information and swung the pendulum completely to FAR the other direction. NOW, we voted for individuals (2012 & 2016) to "REPEAL and REPLACE" with something better.........heck........something between what we had and what we are dealing with now is the RIGHT answer. It is not majic to get there but obviously those folks in CONGRESS have said screw the folks that put us here.....as we LOVE the plan WE have!!! Sorry, that is TRUTH!
                    Absolutely correct. Republicans now in office are only concerned about staying there. They have sold Americans out just like the democrats did.

Comment

Originally posted by jerp View Post
                      The most politically impossible factor is also one of the most critical. Forcing insurance companies to cover people who don't buy a policy until they get sick blows up all the risk formulas. How do they allow for that? (I understand having to insure pre existing conditions if they already had a policy and were forced to buy a new one due to a job change.) The whole concept of insurance is protecting yourself from future events. The companies know how to take those risks and spread them around. Paying for things that have already happened is not insurance. They have to figure out a way to create high risk pools for the uninsured who have pre existing conditions and are in the individual market. Where will that money come from? Good question - there are a lot of people much smarter than me who apparently have yet to figure it out
                      Yep, this is absolutely correct. Another moral hazard in this mess is that there is a 90 day grace period for non payment of an ACA policy. So, one can pay for nine months of coverage (stop paying in October) and get 12 months of coverage. Then, enroll in a new policy during the enrollment period for the following year. That has to be figured into premium risk too.

I am of the opinion that forcing congress to have to ACA policies would fix this fairly quickly. They force us to purchase these policies (or be fined). So should they.

Comment

Originally posted by friscopaint View Post
                        nor is my insurance plan much insurance......
                        it is if you have a catastrophic claim - check what a transplant cost or long term cancer treatment or premature baby or long term rehab from an accident. I see huge claims paid by insurance companies on a regular basis.

Comment

This is no doubt a depressing thread, but I was able to find a solution for my family. A good friend of mine turned us on to Christian Healthcare Ministries. We pay $450 a month for our family. We added the Brother’s keeper plan for another $60-$80 a month which gives you unlimited coverage. With CHM everyone contributes. We have to cover anything under $500 out of pocket as a cash patient and anything over $500 is considered an incident and any bills related to that incident that exceed $500 are covered at 100%. There are some limitations on pre existing conditions in terms of how much they’ll cover annually, however, the coverage they offer for these conditions increases yearly for I think three years before they offer full coverage. I have Crohn’s disease and I believe they offer coverage for up to $15000 a year for the first year and $25000 for the second. On the bright side if for some reason, god forbid, something happens pertaining to that pre existing condition they have a prayer page where other members can donate to help your cause. My wife and I donated $200 last month once we received our first reimbursement check from CHM for an incident with my back. There is a 90-120 day turn around on reimbursements, but considering how much we save monthly it’s worth it. There is, however, a bit more leg work involved on your part, but I promise it’s the best thing we’ve done in terms of saving money for our family. It comes with a RX discount card as well an index of doctors who provide services at discounted rates. We coupled our CHM membership with a CareNow Healthy Savings membership where for $120 annually you get office visits for $68 plus 20% of labs and X-rays. Last year we were paying $1200 a month for a horrible Aetna plan with a $13700 family deductible and $6000 per person with 80/20 coverage after that. After spending over $20,000 for two years straight for crappy insurance we had to do something else. CHM is not considered health insurance, but they provide you with paperwork that keeps you from getting penalized on your taxes.

Comment

Correction: the Brotger’s keeper is a quarterly payment of I believe $60-80 for us

Comment

Brother’s

Comment

Originally posted by Henry View Post
                                Fortunately, we have not actually used it. It was made very clear to us that we are cash payers first. They would help us negotiate in the event that we need them. From what i understand they do not pay for life flight from a car accident.

I am self employed and BCBS went up to over 1300.00 from 635.00 a month. This was the best bet for us. I actually know quiet a few people doing the same thing.

Comment

Working...
                                X