Announcement

Collapse

TBH Maintenance

Ongoing TBH Website maintenance this evening. Your TBH visit may not be optimal during this service window.
See more
See less

Brass inserts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Fishndude View Post
    Well I’m no arrow genius like Rat and some others, but I think you’re already in the ultimate set up for what you’re hunting. Not sure why you’d wanna change it but those numbers guys can prolly prove me wrong. 42 hogs have hated my 505 gr. Injexions this year but what I do doesn’t make it the best.

Too much Ashby??
    Too much ashby ?

I don’t follow all of ashby writings. But I do know there has never been a study to dis prove. By the way. The study is still going on.

And I had a hog stop a 490 gr arrow this weekend. But again I shoot straight up the legs on everything.

Comment

Originally posted by enewman View Post
      Too much ashby ?

I don’t follow all of ashby writings. But I do know there has never been a study to dis prove. By the way. The study is still going on.

And I had a hog stop a 490 gr arrow this weekend. But again I shoot straight up the legs on everything.
      I don't subscribe to everything that the Ashby study recommends, but it's worth considering for sure.

Comment

I get that you’re trying for better FOC, but I think the gain in FOC won’t mean much unless you are lacking in pass-through percentages right now. It would take a rather large pig to stop even what you’re shooting now. I had muddyfuzzy build a 470 grain 15-16% FOC arrow this year. I blew through a 70-80 lb pig and the arrow buried another 2” into dirt on the other side. Last week I shot a doe and I don’t thing the dang arrow slowed down at all. By no means am I trying to say you are wrong by tinkering, but it is a lot of tinerking and potentially changing the tune of your bow just to make an arrow fly further after it hits an animal.

Now, that being said, I agree with the above poster about moving to a heavier point weight. I am going to be getting rid of the weights in my arrows at the end of the season and going from a 100 to a 150 grain point. Less parts in an arrow shaft means less stuff to come loose and go wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by popup_menace View Post
          I get that you’re trying for better FOC, but I think the gain in FOC won’t mean much unless you are lacking in pass-through percentages right now. It would take a rather large pig to stop even what you’re shooting now. I had muddyfuzzy build a 470 grain 15-16% FOC arrow this year. I blew through a 70-80 lb pig and the arrow buried another 2” into dirt on the other side. Last week I shot a doe and I don’t thing the dang arrow slowed down at all. By no means am I trying to say you are wrong by tinkering, but it is a lot of tinerking and potentially changing the tune of your bow just to make an arrow fly further after it hits an animal.

Now, that being said, I agree with the above poster about moving to a heavier point weight. I am going to be getting rid of the weights in my arrows at the end of the season and going from a 100 to a 150 grain point. Less parts in an arrow shaft means less stuff to come loose and go wrong.
          I blew through deer like hot butter when i was shooting a 350gr arrow. I'm not worried about that lol. It's a simple thought/idea i wanted to try and tinker with. As far as bow tuning, that's easy and i enjoy that part of it. I don't think it'll change my tune, but if it did, id just retune for them no big deal.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Comment

Agree that first your current setup is pretty ideal even for bigger pigs. Tinkering is fun though. If you want higher FOC I’ll agree drop the FMJ. I’ll also agree shooting a 600 gr arrow at deer is not optimal to me. There are always trade offs. Just one guys two cents.

Comment

Originally posted by Loneaggie View Post
              Agree that first your current setup is pretty ideal even for bigger pigs. Tinkering is fun though. If you want higher FOC I’ll agree drop the FMJ. I’ll also agree shooting a 600 gr arrow at deer is not optimal to me. There are always trade offs. Just one guys two cents.
              I like the fmj's. I'm not a big carbon arrow fan. Hence why i like fmj's lol. I haven't been bow hunting as long as lots of folks on here, but in my 8-9 years experience, I've never had a deer duck/ nor try to duck my arrow. And I've killed quite a few. Not saying it can't or won't happen sooner or later. But my bow is also pretty quiet and a heavier arrow will just make it that much more quiet lol. When i shot my bow through a chrono few years back, shooting my current arrows, i believe i was at 270-280fps. I don't think that's all that bad. But then again I'm not a speed freak either. I'd rather have hard hitting and quiet.

Comment

Brass inserts

Originally posted by TxHunter06 View Post
                I like the fmj's. I'm not a big carbon arrow fan. Hence why i like fmj's lol. I haven't been bow hunting as long as lots of folks on here, but in my 8-9 years experience, I've never had a deer duck/ nor try to duck my arrow. And I've killed quite a few. Not saying it can't or won't happen sooner or later. But my bow is also pretty quiet and a heavier arrow will just make it that much more quiet lol. When i shot my bow through a chrono few years back, shooting my current arrows, i believe i was at 270-280fps. I don't think that's all that bad. But then again I'm not a speed freak either. I'd rather have hard hitting and quiet.

Yep all that makes sense. I think I’ve put about two dozen on the ground with axis arrows. And shooting axis 300s with 75 gr brass inserts this year. Out of a halon. And I’ve had two different does duck arrows in last two years at 20 yards @ 280 FPS .
                Last edited by Loneaggie; 11-21-2017, 03:50 PM.

Comment

i shoot traditional and compound shoot same arrow out of every bow both types. ashby has good data but sometimes you have to also factor in trajectory and blood trail. Killed everything from deer pigs to elk moose and africa. i like arrow weight around 530 use brass insert 50 gn with my own aluminum inserts because my epoxy is stronger than factory then put that in 130 gn glue on. runs about 175 plus the insert so around 225 up front. i think is best compromise for foc wt speed and trajectory. shoots out of 3 compounds and 5 stick bows same arrow. i now use zwickey 4 blade for better blood trail and cheaper, but have used them all. if you want more up front use steel broadhead insert instead trying to put 2 brass inserts. my 2 cents

Comment

I don't believe they make a steel insert for the fmj's. I like using slick tricks. They only make a head up to 150gr. So i can't go heavier with the broadhead without switching to another brand. Thats why the 2 brass inserts are on my mind.

Comment

Working...
                    X