No announcement yet.

Rutty Meat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Jerky and sausage, summer sausage, snack sticks etc. There's no way to get rid of that smell.

Comment

Originally posted by Sika View Post
      I've had does that taste like this too. The smell is exactly like a bottle of buck in rut scent and it tastes like it smells. Dogs get it.
      I don't know if we didn't get the meat chilled fast enough or what.
      When I first read your post, I swore you posted " I've had [B]Dogs[B] that taste like this too." I had to reread it a few times. LOL

Comment

Thanks for the advice. The backstraps and tenders don’t smell quite as bad as the hind quarters and shoulders. Guess I’ll add some steaks to the freezer and let my lab have a gourmet meal for a while.

Comment

Originally posted by Sika View Post
          I've had does that taste like this too. The smell is exactly like a bottle of buck in rut scent and it tastes like it smells. Dogs get it.
          I don't know if we didn't get the meat chilled fast enough or what.
          New avatar buck? Story please!

Comment

Any dish that uses tomatoes usually takes care of it as well as the milk trick previously mentioned. My brother shot a buck that was so rank nothing worked. When we went to help him load it I could smell the deer before I saw it and it back legs were tar all the way to the hooves. He ended up giving the meat away to some people that had been pestering him for some venison. For some reason they never asked again.

Comment

Originally posted by monsterspike View Post
              slice for frying, marinade in whole milk, fully submerged 8-12 hours, salt, pepper, flour and fry. youre welcome.
              Logan this is what we did. Marinade in Whole Milk or Buttermilk for 12hrs. It works and you get a great meal(s) with nothing wasted.

Comment

A rutting buck that is chasing or tending a doe will be secreting lots of tarsal fluid and pumped full of adrenaline. Meat will generally be tough and tarsal fluid is like skunk scent that permeates everything and don't even have to touch it. Best thing you can do is immediately cut off the tarsals and toss them at least 200 yards away from the deer. Get the hide off that sucker asap or sooner if possible and remove lymph nodes in the flanks and armpits. If you do all these things your dawg will eat it just fine or----------Soak it for a few days in ice water and pour the water off daily. When you cook some just wear a clothes pin on yer nose.
                I hate a stinky deer. I have had a sweet smelling doe hang in a cooler for 3 days with one of those stinky bucks and a rutting boar hog and ruin my good doe. Stunk so bad I couldn't eat it.

Comment

Originally posted by Antlers86 View Post
                  Logan this is what we did. Marinade in Whole Milk or Buttermilk for 12hrs. It works and you get a great meal(s) with nothing wasted.
                  It won’t go to waste. Gunner has a taste for venison! I’m still working on the last bit of 2016 deer and have a Kansas buck and doe from this year still. Hence why I’m not shooting any does!

Comment

Originally posted by Sleepy View Post
                    It won’t go to waste. Gunner has a taste for venison! I’m still working on the last bit of 2016 deer and have a Kansas buck and doe from this year still. Hence why I’m not shooting any does!
                    Lol... It's a good thing my freezer is still full from last season. Looking like Tag Soup for me this year! Checked cams and nothing but Bobcats and Hogs. Hopefully late season they come back for feed.

Comment

brine it(salt water)
                      Salt water will draw the blood out of the meat. The gamey flavor is in the blood.
                      Works on boar hogs also.

At 3lbs of salt per gallon you will be at 120% saturation. Thee additional 20% will draw ALL of the blood out of your meat. It will be looking for something to absorb.
                      Last edited by PondPopper; 11-18-2017, 07:27 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by DRT View Post
                        I brine soak mine and that's not an issue.
                        yeah this works too. good for turtle and gator meat. as mentioned below buttermilk is excellent as well.

Comment

I've had one buck that was a little rank. Dog loved it.

Comment

I always put whitetail meat in my big ice chest and cover with ice. I liberally salt the top of the ice. Liberally as in with the Morton container with the flap open. I drain the water every day and add more ice. I will do this for up to 7 days. You'd be surprised how much better the meat tastes doing it this way. Gets a lot of the blood out.

Comment

i mean, either learn to fix this issue or quit shooting mature deer. you cant cut the gravy off some of them bucks without marinade.

if you light rub some adolphs tenderizer after marinade helps also.

Comment

Killed a big mature buck in the peak of the rut and it was exactly as you said. Smelled it when I walked up. Made the mistake of grinding it for burger combined with another deer, and 10% beef fat added. The whole mess tasted like it. For a while we were cooking it in spaghetti with equal parts ground beef and I finally got tired of it and gave it to someone that thought it tasted great. I'm guessing sausage might cut through the funk but I'll be hard pressed to put the effort in trying to make another one edible.

Comment

Working...
                                X