No announcement yet.

Best DSLR Camera for the Family

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

For the money, the Cannon Rebel series is hard to beat. You can get decent kit deals at Sams or Costco. I think it's a great balance between a starter camera and something that has the capability of doing a lot more. You can always upgrade bases further down the road if you really get into photography.

Something like below. Nikon has a very similar bundle. Black Friday specials are a great time too. For being well below the $1K price point, these cameras are pretty good.

Comment

I'm a Nikon fan, but to you can't go wrong with Nikon or Canon. Like others have mentioned look for used equipment. Just like archery gear, photographers are constantly upgrading to the newest models creating a great used market.

Comment

I have a Canon with multiple lens, but bought a Canon SX60HS for a trip to Maine and whale watching and use it it all most all of the time. I'm try to decide if I will keep my DSLR or sell it with all the lens.
        The SX60 is a 16.1 mega pixel with a 65x optical zoom, that makes it equal to about a 1500 mm lens. It also connects to my phone using it's own wireless.

Comment

Originally posted by Casey View Post
          I'm a Canon user. I don't think you can go wrong with Canon or Nikon. A lot of people are going mirrorless. Consider Sony for that type.
          Originally posted by Legdog View Post
          For the money and dual purpose, it's hard to beat a smart phone these days. I shoot Nikon but Canon, as mentioned, is equal to the task. If you insist on DSLR, start with a 50mm prime lens. They make inexpesnsive versions that are under $200 that work really well.

Here's a good place to educate yourself.

https://www.dpreview.com
          Originally posted by Casey View Post
          Don't be afraid to buy used. People trading up frequently has created a great used market.
          Originally posted by wsteffen View Post
          I have a Canon with multiple lens, but bought a Canon SX60HS for a trip to Maine and whale watching and use it it all most all of the time. I'm try to decide if I will keep my DSLR or sell it with all the lens.
          The SX60 is a 16.1 mega pixel with a 65x optical zoom, that makes it equal to about a 1500 mm lens. It also connects to my phone using it's own wireless.
          I agree with all of these posts. One thing to consider and this is in reference to the last quote is maybe a really nice point and shoot until you decide if changing lenses is something you want to do and if you want to invest in multiple lenses. The Canon mentioned is one that just came on my radar along with the Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX400 which was mentioned in another thread. I have known of the Nikon P900 for sometime and have held it out in the field. Super zoom on it. These are three good high end P&S choices to see if you want to take it farther with DSLRs. I personally shoot Canon (2 different bodies) and bought my wife a Sony A7 earlier this year so we are fully DSLR here. Just something to consider.

Originally posted by Axe Man View Post
          I have an older Canon that still takes great pics. I would like a newer version mainly for the video features. The glass you put on the camera is really more important than the body itself and I'll never be able to afford great lenses.
          This is true to a point.

Comment

Nikon d5600 and I love it
            Attached Files

Comment

Ended up going with an Olympus Pen (mirrorless) w/ a 14-150mm lense

Thanks again for all the feedback!

Comment

Working...
              X