Announcement

Collapse

TBH Maintenance

Ongoing TBH Website maintenance this evening. Your TBH visit may not be optimal during this service window.
See more
See less

9 Days to Kill in Kansas!!! Live!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Way to go, congrats thats a great buck!!!

Comment

Originally posted by lmartin5 View Post
      Looks like a great set up! From what direction do you approach this stand?
      I’ll draw it out in the story. Bare with me.

Comment

Nice

Comment

congrats

Comment

Wow!
            What a week! I’ve logged 56 hrs in a deer stand from Sunday @ 3:00 till today @ 2:10 when I let the arrow fly.
            I’ve had some great hunts this week and some not so great hunts. Today was my best hunt and one that I will never forget.
            This was only the 2nd time I have hunted this property. Tuesday was the first. I love the layout and it didn’t hurt that I stumbled upon a 150” 8 point while scouting for a tree.

So I saw deer pretty regular most of the day, up until 11:00. From 11:00 to 2:09 the only deer I saw was the Doe bedded down 40 yards behind me.
            I’m texting my buddy Clark to get an update and comment on how slow it was. I literally put my phone down and look up thru the timber, across the CRP and I see a buck walking the opposite woodline. Seems to have a nice frame and I want a better look.
            I hit the grunt call fairly loud and this dude throws his head up and heads straight to me like he is on a string. As he enters the timber I see the long G2, the kicker, the G4 and then I see the split drop tine. Yep, droptine. I’ll take him.
            I draw on him, while he is at 20 walking directly to me. I attemp to stop him. Meeeh! He keeps walking. 10 yards. MEEEHH! Pays me no attention. At 5 yards. MEEEEEHHHHH! Not stopping. At this point he is behind some limbs. It’s now or never. I find a spot, bury my pin and THWACK!!! Perfect shot, double lung. Blood everywhere!
            I watch him run off down the river edge tail tucked & blood dripping.
            Then the texting starts. As I’m updating everybody, I think to myself, I better go ahead and look for him Incase he went into the river. I pack everything up climb down and get on the blood trail immediately. Blood everywhere. Until I get to the river.
            I walk down to the river and hear a splash and I watch the deer take his last breath standing on the edge of the river, fall in and float down stream.

I can’t reach him. I’m panicking. Looking for a stick. I finally find one but still can’t reach him. 50 yards down stream I empty all my pockets jump in and make it to him as he is sinking under water.
            If I had waited 2 more minutes I may have never laid hands on him.

After I got him to the bank, shivering, I managed to say a prayer thanking God for blessing me with what I worked for all week.
            It took some work getting him out of the river bed, but I got it done with the help of some great friends.
            I want to thank everybody that has followed my hunt and for all the positive feedback and congrats. This is a trip I look forward to every year and I enjoy doing the live hunts.

I’m gonna add a photo of my entrance to the stand.

Comment

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

congrats again on getting it done! Dang fine buck you are bringing home this year!

Comment

Wow! Awesome!

Comment

Awesomeness! Congrats!

Skinny

Comment

Congrats! It's been fun following along.

Comment

Congrats! Great story

Comment

Congrats! Thanks for letting us tag along all week.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

congrats on your hunt and write up!

Comment

Awesome buck congratulations

Comment

Way to go man! I love that set, thanks for posting the pictures as I wondered how you approached as well. Were the deer you were seeing crossing the river nearby or just cruising the edges parallel to it?

Comment

Working...
                                X