Disposing of dead feral hog

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Disposing of dead feral hog

Whats the beat way to dispose of a dead hog? Found an old one too close to the house to let nature take its course. Bury it? Burn it? Or just drag it somewhere hoping the buzzards will comply? Hogs will eat a dead hog won't they?

If it hasn't been dead too long you can drag it off without pulling it apart...other wise dig a hole and bury it. It will stink if you burn it, but probably not as bad if you were to just leave it there...

Comment

I drag or dump my carcasses in one or two spots on the ranch. The buzzards are well fed there, so they know what to expect and they will have it picked clean in a day or two. The yotes usually drag the remaining off.

Skinny

Comment

i had one that took months for buzzards to eat...
        even coyotes wouldnt touch the old stinky boar- and this is in south texas where most anything that dies it gone by the next day

id try to hook its leg and drag it back into a place where the wind wont blow the stench

Comment

Just drag it away. The buzzards and yotes will have it cleaned up in less than 12 hours.

Comment

We drag ours to an old abandoned county road and let the local scavengers take care of em.

Comment

Just do like the hog hunters around Alvin do, just dump them at the entrances of private property.

Comment

we had a couple of hogs in our back pasture, sow got eaten but nothing touched the boar. Read on post above the same thing happened to their boar.

Comment

drag it further from the house....... down wind.

Comment

Open his belly so scavengers can get to him.

Comment

Agree'd - open up the belly and the birds will be done with it in 48 hours.

Comment

We open the stomach and dump them in the same spot.
                        Takes no time for the buzzards to arrive.

Comment

Originally posted by Traildust View Post
                          Just do like the hog hunters around Alvin do, just dump them at the entrances of private property.
                          That's how they do it in Sweeny too.

Comment

I buried one and re-dug the area up almost a year later to plant a peach tree. (thinking it was all bones by then).
                            I nearly passed out from the smell when I broke through the clay and shovel sunk into this black oily mushy sludge that was like no smell I have ever smelled before.

Comment

Cut him open if you want it gone sooner. Cut, drag him off to a gut pile and let him be

Comment

Working...
                              X