Ashton's 2017 Bosque River Buck

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ashton's 2017 Bosque River Buck

Opening weekend of firearm season found Ashton and I hunting our river grounds in Bosque County. With Ashton’s college schedule, it has limited her hunting opportunities the past couple years and in return she has not had an opportunity to kill a buck since 2014’s Old 7’s harvest. Sitting around our fire pit Friday night reminded me how much I miss both my girls since they have eased off to college but I have to admit, I am a blessed man.

Ashton and I had been trading text regularly regarding trail cam photos I was getting, along with video I had taken of deer during October. A couple mature bucks had perked her interest and she commented that she would be happy with either the Stubby buck or a big 8 point we call Dreamy 8.

Well lucky for Dreamy 8, Stubby eased out of the river and into our lower food plot Sunday morning at 6:22 a.m. Once I finally got a confirmation that it was him, I woke Miss Ashton up and told her that if she still wanted Stubby, he was here. For 16 minutes he played cat and mouse with Ashton. At one point Ashton whispered, “you on him” then “Dad gum it”, he again turned away and fed away. Again I hear, “you on him” then “are you kidding me”? This time a buck we know real well had eased into the plot and I hear Ashton say, “the one on the left has a bigger frame”…… I ease my binoculars around to pick up sight of a 2.5 / 3.5 year old we have named Baby Giant, and man is he pretty. I whisper to Ashton, “he’s a baby and if he makes it he will be a giant”. You know Miss Ashton never even balked nor did she sigh. She agreed and said, get on Stubby. As soon as we relocated her buck, she whispers can you see him…..” BOOM” then the famous words “heart shot”.

Ashton’s buck made one small leap and then down without a twitch. We both breathed a sigh of relief once we were sure he was expired. See, she shot him about 10 steps from the bank of the river, and if he would have made it to the bank and down……….well let’s just say it would have added to the memories…… Ashton and I had to hold tight right at an hour while Baby Giant fed and presented multiple great photo and video sessions.

Ashton’s buck had been on our trail cameras since 2014 and had pretty much stayed true to his short stubby frame with lots of mass. By photos we had him at 4.5 years old, but teeth wear has us now second guessing that, teeth wear show him older. No matter, she is extremely happy, and at this time in my life, that is all that matters to me. Stubby had 11 score able points, 6 on the right and 5 on the left with a neat crown of three on the right.

Ashton did ask a good question while we were watching Baby Giant, “Dad, how are you confident that Baby Giant will even make it to next year?” I paused a minute and replied; I am not sure he will. And honestly the last few years we have had more and more bucks not return. But all I know is that if we kill him, he surely isn’t going to return. So we will see and pray he hides out well.

Ashton has no idea how good it fills that she still wants her old Dad to sit with her while she hunts. I mentioned to her that legally she doesn’t need me to sit with her if she does not want; Lord knows she can judge deer better than most I know. But she laughed and said, "no sir, I enjoy our time and heck, who would wake me up"?………..lol

God bless and hope each enjoyed.

The bottom photos are of Baby Giant after Ashton had killed her buck. You can notice in one of them Ashton’s buck on the ground as Baby Giant fed.

Rwc
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Rwc; 11-07-2017, 07:58 AM.

For all 3 hunts last weekend we were entertained by this grey owl. He hunted every square inch of the lower plot and shame on a bird that tried to pick up a piece of corn. Ashton and I witnessed him slam his self to the ground in an attempt to grab a mouse close to one of our hog traps.

Just goes to show you, no telling what you'll see why in the woods.

Rwc
    Attached Files

Comment

good good good good stuff tight there. whats this i had to wake her up stuff. dang college kids

Comment

Congrats, and great times and memories for sure.

Comment

Congrats Ashton!!! That buck has a TON of character! And Baby Giant is gonna be something else.

It's great she still wants you with her. Definitely a Daddy's girl, and that's a good thing!!

Comment

Originally posted by Krivoman View Post
            good good good good stuff tight there. whats this i had to wake her up stuff. dang college kids
            Son, you will get a taste of it soon enough, if not already. Now how old is that oldest kid???????

Rwc

Comment

Can't beat that for an awesome hunt with your daughter. Great memories for sure, awesome buck for sure and great pics. Congrats

Comment

Congrats to her and you, great write up. I am so excited to hunt with my daughter when she gets old enough.

Comment

Awesome Blossom, congrats

Comment

Originally posted by Bowhuntin_Toona View Post
                    Congrats Ashton!!! That buck has a TON of character! And Baby Giant is gonna be something else.

It's great she still wants you with her. Definitely a Daddy's girl, and that's a good thing!!
                    Yes sir, a real good thing.

Rwc

Comment

Cool buck - congrats to her

Comment

Another year

You know the TBH rules, that deer still had milk on its chin!:-) great buck and congrats to Ashton!

Comment

And that’s what it’s all about!!!

I really enjoyed seeing the story now after receiving the text pics that she got him. Stories like this one are hard to beat.

Well done, Richard and Ashton. Big congrats on a great buck and I know it was a special hunt.

Spending time with the family in the great outdoors is an incredibly awesome gift.

Comment

That's pretty cool. Congrats to y'all.

Comment

Congratulations to your daughter on the buck and to you on the awesome memories made. I imagine there's an extreme sense of joy as well as pride and of course thanks to the Lord in sharing the blind with your college aged kiddo.

I always enjoy your post my friend and thoroughly appreciated the read and pictures.

Comment

Working...
                              X