No announcement yet.

Moonlight hunting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have not hunted yet this year- I going tonight after learning about a Full Beaver moon

Comment

Sunset this evening is 6:50 Moonrise is 6:56 For the record I begin hunting hogs at 7:20.

Comment

Originally posted by 60 Deluxe View Post
        November 4th
        Full Beaver Moon 1:23 am

December 3rd
        Full Cold Moon 10:47 am

The hunters moon was in October. Tonight is the full beaver moon.
        Almost correct. Beaver Moon is also called Hunters Moon. October was Harvest Moon.

Comment

I hunt until dark. It gets darker in the woods much faster than the typical sunset time. When I get out of the woods, and into the open, theres still a few minutes of daylight left

Comment

Other than being off by a month, care to share some hunting stories about hunters moon hunts?
            I have lots of good hunting stories. But I'm not sure your ready to hear them.

Comment

Originally posted by Dudley View Post
              Almost correct. Beaver Moon is also called Hunters Moon. October was Harvest Moon.

Comment

Just wow

Comment

It's a skill that takes years to prefect.

Comment

So thirty minutes after sundown my hunt turns from a deer hunt into a pig hunt. Easy enough. Do I have to get out of the blind and do something to make it an official change of game? Go get my green lens flashlight or something? Maybe I had better take down those solar powered lights that I have mounted around the perimeter of my feeder pen. They turn on about ten minutes before dark. Or I suppose that I could just think to myself that the deer hunting is stopped and the hog hunting has started. The game warden is really going to be confused when I explain all this to him.
                    That made me laugh out loud. Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by Dudley View Post
                      Not according to National Geographic or the Old Farmer Almanac. September is the full corn moon or harvest moon. October is hunters moon November is full beaver

January Full Wolf Moon This full Moon appeared when wolves howled in hunger outside the villages. It is also known as the Old Moon. To some Native American tribes, this was the Snow Moon, but most applied that name to the next full Moon, in February.
                      February Full Snow Moon Usually the heaviest snows fall in February. Hunting becomes very difficult, and hence to some Native American tribes this was the Hunger Moon.
                      March Full Worm Moon At the time of this spring Moon, the ground begins to soften and earthworm casts reappear, inviting the return of robins. This is also known as the Sap Moon, as it marks the time when maple sap begins to flow and the annual tapping of maple trees begins.
                      April Full Pink Moon This full Moon heralded the appearance of the moss pink, or wild ground phlox—one of the first spring flowers. It is also known as the Sprouting Grass Moon, the Egg Moon, and the Fish Moon.
                      May Full Flower Moon Flowers spring forth in abundance this month. Some Algonquin tribes knew this full Moon as the Corn Planting Moon or the Milk Moon.
                      June Full Strawberry Moon The Algonquin tribes knew this Moon as a time to gather ripening strawberries. It is also known as the Rose Moon and the Hot Moon.
                      July Full Buck Moon At this time, a buck’s antlers are in full growth mode. This full Moon was also known as the Thunder Moon, because thunderstorms are so frequent during this month.
                      August Full Sturgeon Moon Some Native American tribes knew that the sturgeon of the Great Lakes and Lake Champlain were most readily caught during this full Moon. Others called it the Green Corn Moon.
                      September Full Corn Moon This full Moon corresponds with the time of harvesting corn. It is also called the Barley Moon, because it is the time to harvest and thresh the ripened barley. The Harvest Moon is the full Moon nearest the autumnal equinox, which can occur in September or October and is bright enough to allow finishing of all the harvest chores.
                      October Full Hunter’s Moon This is the month when the leaves are falling and the game is fattened. Now is the time for hunting and laying in a store of provisions for the long winter ahead. October’s Moon is also known as the Travel Moon and the Dying Moon.
                      November Full Beaver Moon For both the colonists and the Algonquin tribes, this was the time to set beaver traps before the swamps froze, to ensure a supply of warm winter furs. This full Moon was also called the Frost Moon.
                      December Full Cold Moon This is the month when the winter cold fastens its grip and the nights become long and dark. This full Moon is also called the Long Nights Moon by some Native American tribes.

Note: The Harvest Moon is the full Moon that occurs closest to the autumnal equinox.

Comment

Originally posted by Robert View Post
                        It's a skill that takes years to prefect.
                        Seeing that I like to turn in about nine o'clock, I will never be any good at it.

Comment

I looked at my phone when I pulled the 4 wheeler into the barn this evening. 7:20 on the dot. Totally legal hunt. I figured that my old eyes would keep me legal.

Comment

Originally posted by glen View Post
                            I have not hunted yet this year- I going tonight after learning about a Full Beaver moon

Lmao! I just choked on my vape. [emoji23][emoji12]

Skinny

Comment

But I will still use the hunt until I can't see to shoot method to determine quitting time. I don't wear a watch. I'm not going to look at my phone to check the time as it blinds me. With my old eyes I'm probably legal anyway. If I'm off by a couple of minutes no one will know, including myself.
                              Unless you shoot a 271" deer, then everyone will know.

Comment

That depends

Originally posted by bossbowman View Post
                                ...how long have you been deer hunting?
                                During the day or after dark!!! 😳😳😳. Hahaha

Comment

Working...
                                X