Announcement

Collapse

TBH Maintenance

Ongoing TBH Website maintenance this evening. Your TBH visit may not be optimal during this service window.
See more
See less

Saskatchewan Whitetail - LIVE!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Today's the day!

Comment

hope you got something! and your father too.

I am wheels up for saskatoon with my dad in the morning. Headed up to carrot river to hunt with Rob Nye and Canadian Trophy Quest. Went with them 2 years ago and got at the time my biggest buck yet, a 10 pt 145". Looking to hold out for something bigger. Not great great chance for that but will def see some deer and have fun.

Comment

Hope you're getting the LDPs ready to post.

Comment

Hoping today was a good day!

Comment

No luck for us this year! We are on the road and headed to Jamestown, ND. Unfortunately, the only buck I killed this week was the one I hit with my truck about 30 minutes ago.

Will write up a more detailed review tomorrow.

Comment

Originally posted by Buckley99 View Post
              No luck for us this year! We are on the road and headed to Jamestown, ND. Unfortunately, the only buck I killed this week was the one I hit with my truck about 30 minutes ago.

Will write up a more detailed review tomorrow.
              I really thought youd tag out the big buck that came at dark. Prayers for safe travels.

Comment

Outfitter / Trip - Full Review

Thankfully, after inspecting my truck this morning, it doesn’t look like I have any major damage from hitting a young buck at 70 mph last night. For the several of you who have texted/PM’d me for a review of the outfitter, below are my thoughts...

Pros :

- even though we didn’t tag out I am very confident there are deer there and that the quality of deer is world class.

- Our individual guide (Wayne) might be one of my all-time favorite guides. My dad and I have hunted/fished with dozens of guides and Wayne might top the list as my favorite. He worked as hard as anyone we’ve ever had and was one of the most enjoyable people I’ve ever been around. Had it not been for Wayne, our experience would have likely been much different.

- The blinds were quality and the hunting spots were well thought out. They had blinds for every wind direction, blinds for guns, blinds for bows, blinds in open fields, blinds in the woods. You want to hunt a specific setup, they had it.

- The cabins were great and Virginia’s food was exceptional!

- The daily process/schedule was executed perfectly and there weren’t any hiccups.

Cons :

- while Brad (the outfitter) has zero control of weather and deer movement, I felt that given the unusually dead week he would have been more present. We spoke with him when we arrived to camp and didn’t see him again for the rest of the week (even though he was staying in one of the cabins). Now, my guess is that he believes that people come for the deer and they return for the deer. If I could give him one suggestion, it would be to spend a few days with Chris Martin, and his team, at Bay Flats Lodge. Chris provides world class fishing and hunting but what Chris does that is unmatched (IMO) is all of the ancillary offerings. He’s an exceptional host. The food is outstanding. He creates an environment to get to know the other people in camp. The little things that he does serves as an insurance policy to the things he can’t comtrol (ex weather and fish/birds). I have no issues with Brad as a person (he’s actually the reason I booked the trip in the first place) but I think he underestimates the value of the little things that fall outside of a hunter’s time in the blind.

If this is a trip you are seriously considering, and would like to discuss in more detail, just shoot me a PM.

Lastly, thank you for following along and for the added motivation. It went a long way in subzero weather! And, if you are ever headed to the Southern part of DFW, PM me.

Comment

Have a safe drive the rest of the way back. We're you hunting sunrise to sundown each day?

Comment

Originally posted by 16ncs View Post
                    Have a safe drive the rest of the way back. We're you hunting sunrise to sundown each day?
                    Yes sir. 11-hour sits.

How have you been? How’s the golf game?

Comment

Originally posted by Buckley99 View Post
                      Yes sir. 11-hour sits.

How have you been? How’s the golf game?
                      I'm well and working on the game. The weather has been perfect in Alabama for a couple of months so we have had a lot of golf days. I have been piddling around with a couple of different sets of irons so by the next TBH Open I may have something new. I will be ready.

When are you and your Dad getting back in? Post some more photos if you have them. The aurora photos were good. Did you have any insulated ground covering in your blind? Was your Dad hunting from the same type of blind?

Comment

Saskatchewan Whitetail - LIVE!

Originally posted by 16ncs View Post
                        I'm well and working on the game. The weather has been perfect in Alabama for a couple of months so we have had a lot of golf days. I have been piddling around with a couple of different sets of irons so by the next TBH Open I may have something new. I will be ready.

When are you and your Dad getting back in? Post some more photos if you have them. The aurora photos were good. Did you have any insulated ground covering in your blind? Was your Dad hunting from the same type of blind?

Drove from Candle Lake, SK to Mansfield, TX in a day and a half! New paradigm set for how much ground you can cover in a day if you are motivated. ND to TX the last day.

Blinds varied for me. Day 1 - a make shift blind made up of 1 1/2 inch tree limbs, wire and covered with a thick felt like material. Nice and comfortable. Shot distance 40 yards.

Day 2,3 and 4 - a standard pop up blind. Roomy. Only one window to open. All others covered with foliage. Shot distance Day 2 and 3 was 150 yards, Day 4 was 40 yards.

Last day - pop up blind made to look like a bale of hay, Tons of room to move around. I could even stand up if need be and I am 6’ 4”. Shot distance was just a tad over 200 yards. They sure had a lot of faith in my shooting skills!

All blinds were modern, in good condition, roomy and well camouflaged with additional foliage to blend in well.

Hope that helps?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

glad you all had a great trip, Will you be going back?

Comment

good luck. Big body deer up there

Comment

Enjoyed following along, thanks for sharing.

Comment

Great story...I just got back from my yearly Alberta hunt. Did a whitetail and mule deer combo. Killed a good mule deer but came home empty for a whitetail. Went too early this year. Funny that you were interrogated. I was questioned for 30 minutes by Alberta Fish & Game when going through customs at the Edmonton Airport this year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                                X