No announcement yet.

Hiking/camping for beginners

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It all depends on what you are looking to do. To get your feet wet, I would suggest Glenrose (Dinosaur State Park) for camping and hiking. The Wichita Mountains in Oklahoma are nice as well.

There is a major difference in car camping and backpacking. Think home comforts vs bare minimums.

Anvilheadtexas is most like the most knowledgeable backpacker on this site. I used to do a lot of backpacking and climbing and still do it occasionally, but I sadly now enjoy al the creature comforts of car camping with long day hikes.
    My next trip will be to Big Bend again and can never get enough and then this summer the annual pilgrimage to Colorado.

Comment

Take a look at Palo Duro

Comment

Originally posted by TheHammer View Post
        Take a look at Palo Duro
        ^^ This^^
        Heres a pic of our recent trip. Beautiful place.
        Click image for larger version

Name:	palo duro.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	48.5 KB
ID:	24527328

Comment

Originally posted by bakin7005 View Post
          ^^ This^^

Heres a pic of our recent trip. Beautiful place.

[ATTACH]893536[/ATTACH]

I am still getting my feet wet in the hiking and camping, but of all the places we have been this was our favorite

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Ouachita is good because it offers a range of many different levels difficulty and distance. Get a used pack now and remember that the weight is carried by your hips, not your shoulders or back. Start by walking around the neighborhood with an empty pack and great up to 50 pounds or so. Remember to calculate the weight of water you need to take with you. The better tents are lighter and more expensive.

Comment

Texas Outdoor Family (TOF) with state parks might be geared be for the rawest beginners, but its a good program and will only take a short search.
              I personally like Merrell hiking shoes and boots. Lots of choices/gear to think about, as mentioned REI has good information. Don't skimp on socks and shoes!
              Enjoy the research and getting out.

Comment

Fun trip that isn't too awfully difficult is Mckittrick Canyon in The Guadalupe Mtns. Incredible views and backcountry style backpacking.

Comment

Mt Scott up in Oklahoma is gorgeous and has a wildlife refuge right next to it. Absolutely beautiful hiking through the wildlife refuge and if you're up to a climbing hike you can hike up the "mountain"

Comment

I haven't seen anyone say it yet, but buy whatever makes your wife comfortable camping. Not much worse than being stuck in the woods with an angry woman...
                    Start with small day hikes to get used to it, see what you guys enjoy. Work up to more difficult things as you go.

Comment

Ardmore Oklahoma area is close and awesome

Comment

Buy quality, buy lightweight and break in your boots at home before your first long hike. The less your gear weighs the more you will enjoy yourself.

Comment

I am still getting my feet wet in the hiking and camping, but of all the places we have been this was our favorite

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                          If you head that way, don’t skip over Caprock canyons state park, nice vistas, and trails

Comment

Take a look at Palo Duro
                            This^^^^^^^^^ We made a short stop there in December. Beautiful place and I had never been till then. They have some pretty easy trails, intermediate and some tougher ones.

Nice accommodations with a store etc. Going back and want to camp out and do some more of the easy trails.

Comment

Originally posted by Da' Hitman View Post
                              Mt Scott up in Oklahoma is gorgeous and has a wildlife refuge right next to it. Absolutely beautiful hiking through the wildlife refuge and if you're up to a climbing hike you can hike up the "mountain"
                              Love that place. Had some crazy times in Medicine Park over the yrs.

Comment

Check out the Talimena Trail in the mountains of eastern Oklahoma, north of Beavers Bend, Go up 259 to Highway 1. We took our scout troup up there years ago for some shake-down hikes before hitting Phillmont.

Beautiful and you might even see a bear!

Comment

Working...
                                X