Youth weekend... makes me sick

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by sambo73 View Post
    I took my 14yo daughter Saturday evening, she shot a doe. Took my 7yo son Sunday evening. He missed a doe 3x, then missed a buck 1x. We saw the buck he missed Friday evening checking cameras. I am gonna tell you, id be happy to shoot him! he stopped Friday and I could've shot him. wasn't season, so didn't. I could've easily killed him yesterday evening, but what would have that accomplished? it would've shown my son that if he can't kill it, dad will kill it for me. was I frustrated that he didn't kill one, yep. but you know what, he had a big time and is ready for next weekend.
    Oh you could have? Even with the wrong shells?

Comment

Originally posted by AgHntr10 View Post
      Oh you could have? Even with the wrong shells?

Touche’[emoji23]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by zztex View Post
        Classes to shoot a rifle? Put crosshairs on it and pull the trigger. Real hard😂. Oh and make sure it ain't too far
        Make sure it's far enough!!

Comment

My kid had a coach, was on a team, had uniforms, went 3 times a week- it was worse than watching golf. Shot 25 and 50 ft. He was good but lost interest- so yea there are classes, schools, teams, and coaches. Every one of those kids could outshoot me. Kinda glad he quit as it was not an enjoyable spectator event

Comment

My beef? Why isn't youth weekend the first weekend of general season and not during bow season?

Comment

I definitely get more out of my girls hunting than I do myself anymore. Buck fever comes back for me when they are shooting like it did when I was young. It makes it exciting again.

The reason they need a youth weekend is because I don't want my kids around most of the adults in camp on most leases. Now that I have a place to myself they get all the weekends.

Comment

Originally posted by dustoffer View Post
                My beef? Why isn't youth weekend the first weekend of general season and not during bow season?
                I wasn't a fan when anyone could use crossbows. Or special muzzle loader seasons, but those who do not shoot bows may think it's bs to have archery ahead of general. The youth hunt always made we skeptical about people like that who use it against rules to shoot early and use kids tags to take additional deer.

"The history of the bow and arrow is the history of mankind."

Comment

Youth season is not about the Youth. It is about Dad getting a jump on everyone else. I have never understood why a special weekend is necessary. Texas has almost 100 days of Deer Season. If Daddy can not find time to take the kids hunting during that time then he is living his life wrong.
                  I personally know of several deer taken by Dad on Youth Weekend. Sad situation.

Comment

un-elected officials making parenting laws. #nannystate

Comment

Originally posted by TnTexas View Post
                      Youth season is not about the Youth. It is about Dad getting a jump on everyone else. I have never understood why a special weekend is necessary. Texas has almost 100 days of Deer Season. If Daddy can not find time to take the kids hunting during that time then he is living his life wrong.
                      I personally know of several deer taken by Dad on Youth Weekend. Sad situation.
                      And not turning them makes you look bad as well sir don't matter if there kin or best pal do the fight thing

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Anvilheadtexas View Post
                        I agree with your thoughts , but why on earth would it be okay for 6 year old to kill anything?

6 year olds can kill plenty of stuff!!! He's 8 now but he's gonna be back in the blind at Thanksgiving!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

How did we go from a jackwagon shooting a deer during youth only weekend to "kids shouldn't be rifle hunting earlier than anyone else who uses a rifle" wanna make it fair? Let everyone hunt all of the same dates with what ever weapon they want to

okay, pile on

Comment

Originally posted by TxDispatcher View Post
                            How did we go from a jackwagon shooting a deer during youth only weekend to "kids shouldn't be rifle hunting earlier than anyone else who uses a rifle" wanna make it fair? Let everyone hunt all of the same dates with what ever weapon they want to

okay, pile on
                            Ok, so here's off topic... instead of antler restrictions, just close season for 3 years and have boom in deer populations and add lots of 4 and 5 year old bucks for next open season.

Comment

Originally posted by bjsexpress View Post
                              Ok, so here's off topic... instead of antler restrictions, just close season for 3 years and have boom in deer populations and add lots of 4 and 5 year old bucks for next open season.

That was an alternative they kicked around in the original 6 AR counties in 2002, closing buck season for certain years but not 3 seasons in a row.

Comment

Originally posted by Smart View Post
                                I am a landowner and have never shot a deer during youth season. Why hate on landowners.

Comment

Working...
                                X