Air tank expiration date

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Air tank expiration date

I’m currently cleaning up an 8 gallon air tank that I bought new about 15 years ago. Well, come to find out it has an expiration date on it! Discard after 9-2008 is what it says. Has anyone seen this before? The tank only had minor surface rust that has now been cleaned up. So before I give it a fresh coat of paint, what do y’all think about this? Toss it or keep using it?

i would toss it. being carbon steel your not sure of what the inside is like after years of condensation. it is probably ok. but with 150psi in it its a bomb, not worth the risk

Comment

I know when I used to play paintball, we would have to get our air tanks hydro tested every 3 or 5 years or something like that. Honestly, I wouldnt risk it, theyre cheap enough where its not worth having a ticking time bomb.

Comment

Originally posted by 91cavgt View Post
        I’m currently cleaning up an 8 gallon air tank that I bought new about 15 years ago. Well, come to find out it has an expiration date on it! Discard after 9-2008 is what it says. Has anyone seen this before? The tank only had minor surface rust that has now been cleaned up. So before I give it a fresh coat of paint, what do y’all think about this? Toss it or keep using it?
        Don't risk using it. They have a specific amount of time they can be static tested, but they all expire eventually

Comment

100 to 150 psi isn't that much, I would keep using it, but wouldn't carry it inside a vehicle. My truck tires hold 80 psi. Now the 1000-4000 psi tanks are a differenct deal.

Comment

If I use it, it will be piggy backed in my garage to increase my current air tank capacity. My current air compressor only runs up to 120 psi.

Comment

On a 150 psi tank I would keep rocking and rolling with it. We have been using our tanks on our compressors since the 70s and have a new compressor that rides in the back of the truck that is at least 10 years old and still going strong

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

My scuba tanks are rated to 3500-3000 psi. They get hydrostatic testing every 5 years and visuals every year. I would use that tank with no worries

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Working...
                X