Canning Meat (Venison). My Impressions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MedicineMan7 View Post
    If its been stated before, I apologize, but how long is canned meat good for?? A friend of mine gave me 2 jars a couple years ago and its still in the pantry. Typically, I'll eat about anything and like trying new stuff, but looking at it in the jars, I just couldn't make myself try it out!!

After reading through most of the thread, I'm wanting to try it out, but not sure if it would still be good...
    The Book says between 1 and 1.5 years.
    I have some that is 5 years old and is still good; every year I eat a jar of it just to tempt death. I have one jar left. It still tastes just like all the other meat I can.

As long as the seal is good it should be good. is the clicker clicking? Use your senses; does it look good, does it smell good? please don't taste it though, if it is bad, just a taste could be enough to put you in the hospital.

Again, The book says 18 months, but I think of that as more of a suggestion than law...

Comment

This is one of my go-to's for canned meat.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=thHNJJPnjtc"]"Instant" Venison Carne Guisada - Using Home Canned Meat - YouTube[/ame]
      My Flickr Photos

Comment

LOL! My carne guisada video, which is purely a recipe video with no hunting (other than it uses "venison") was flagged and demonetized as "inappropriate for some advertisers" and may not be appropriate for younger viewers!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
        My Flickr Photos

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
          LOL! My carne guisada video, which is purely a recipe video with no hunting (other than it uses "venison") was flagged and demonetized as "inappropriate for some advertisers" and may not be appropriate for younger viewers!

LOL a mod here is mad because someones post or video was edited because it offended some people.

Just think about what you just said.

Comment

Originally posted by Hunting4fun View Post
            LOL a mod here is mad because someones post or video was edited because it offended some people.

Mad? I LOL'd it...but, point taken. I don't have to like it, but I do have to accept it.
            My Flickr Photos

Comment

Originally posted by Hunting4fun View Post

...kinda new 'round here, huh boy...?

Comment

Originally posted by SaltwaterSlick View Post
                ...kinda new 'round here, huh boy...?

Just wee bit. . .

Sierracharlie out…

Comment

About to can some of the ducks we killed in North Dakota. Never done duck, but everything else has turned out good. Any last second advice? Hopefully will use at a later date for gumbo etc

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post

Just watched the video, it's the pistol on your hip in the vid cooking in the kitchen. Probably don't need that for cooking videos if you want them monetized, easy enough.

Comment

I have been canning meat of all kind for several years, it’s handy to have around for quick meals.
                      With deer, beef and pork I will add beef bullion or Worcestershire sauce with chopped onion, it’s just like pot roast.
                      One night all 3 of our sons just showed up with their families, i Had canned beef,potatoes and carrots, just put it in a pot and heat it up.
                      Nobody left hungry.

Comment

Originally posted by Texas452 View Post
                        I have been canning meat of all kind for several years, it’s handy to have around for quick meals.
                        With deer, beef and pork I will add beef bullion or Worcestershire sauce with chopped onion, it’s just like pot roast.
                        One night all 3 of our sons just showed up with their families, i Had canned beef,potatoes and carrots, just put it in a pot and heat it up.
                        Nobody left hungry.
                        You can the Worcest in with it? It doesn't end up too strong?

Comment

Great thread. Tagging it. Just got a pressure canner myself and intend to try some on the first deer down this year…

Comment

great post, my wife recently bought a canner and the process doesn't sound too
                            intimidating, and reassuring to know this is more edible than anticipated. In a time of hunger it would be as good as a ribeye

Comment

Originally posted by The Insurance Guy View Post
                              Ok I fell for it!!! Ordered my pressure cooker off Amazon. I have cooked 3batches so far arround. 30 jars made. I had to try it so i made a quick Venison? And donut stop later!!!

Which one?

Comment

Interesting. Do you guys think the presto 16qt is too small vs the 23qt? Especially if I want to use it for bone broth too? Both hold 7 qts and I Honestly don’t see myself messing with the baby pint jars too much to double stack.

We have a glass cooktop and I’m not sure if the big 23 qt one is too heavy.

Comment

Working...
                                X