Bad luck 2 weekends in a row

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bad luck 2 weekends in a row

It's been a rough couple of weeks for me in my hunting life.

This is my first season to deer hunt and with a lot of lurking and some help from my buddy I was hoping for a good season. I've sat a few times with no luck but the excitement of going out is enough for it to be worth it. The last two weekends though I've had the worst luck.

Last Saturday night when getting my stuff ready for Sunday morning I opened my bow up to find the string had broken, it needed to be replaced but I was hoping to make it through the season. I ordered a new string and it came in this week. Got it put on this morning so wanted to do some final tuning tonight before the morning and I'll be ****ed if 15 arrows in the d loop snapped, sending my arrow over the neighbors fence.

I know this is a marathon not a race but man I need a break to catch!

Sorry for the long post and thanks for letting me vent.

Murphy 's law
    Good thing is the season just started

Comment

was it your only arrow?

Comment

Shtuff happens. Hang tough.

Comment

Glad the stray arrow didn't hit your neighbor. One of my mom's friends had a neighbor's arrow come through her window and hit her in the neck a couple years ago. She survived.

Comment

Originally posted by Javelin View Post
            was it your only arrow?
            Nah just the one I was using at the time. Luckily he was outside (and his kiddos weren't!) So he tossed it back over.

Comment

Bad luck would have been hitting someone, you were lucky it didn't.

You should probably take this as a teaching point, if you can't draw your bow back straight without pointing it up in the air back down on the poundage.

Comment

Originally posted by TexasForever19 View Post
                Nah just the one I was using at the time. Luckily he was outside (and his kiddos weren't!) So he tossed it back over.
                Just a tip...

If I’m shooting in the backyard, first and foremost, I make sure I have a good backstop.

Second, and what I think is most important, when I draw I draw my bow with the arrow pointing towards the ground and then bring it up to the target. This way if something happens like it did to you, your arrow will go straight down into the ground and not in the air. I’ve seen a lot of people draw their bow by reaching up with their arrow pointed in the air and it makes me some kind of nervous!

Keep after it, you’ll catch a break!

Comment

OP, it took me 5 years to get my first deer with a bow. I bought the land 5 years ago, finally connected. Be patient, it will be worth the wait.

Comment

The more you hunt, the more problems you will have. Hopefully learn from them. Years ago I had a Oneida Aeroforce bow. Just a little info, don't ever get one as a hunting bow. The **** things are a pain to tune, basically multiple steps. I got very good at setting it up and tuning it. Most bow shows knew nothing about them, I found out the hard way.
                    The first hunt I took that bow on. We took my buddy's truck, we drove from Corpus to the Aransas Wildlife Refuge. Got to where we were going to hunt, about 6:00 AM. I reached behind the seat to get the bows and found one of his brass pin sights had cut my string almost completely through. I was ******, decided to let him hunt, but he said not, let's go back and see if we can find a string. Oneida's are very long bows and they recommended Zebra strings, which were not that common at the time. We made it to Clydes's The guy working there that day, knew nothing about Oneida's, I did not expect anyone to know about them. The guy found a string that was too long, but he twisted in many times and called it good. I then spend a hour and a half setting the bow up. Then we went back to the refuge to hunt the evening hunt. I think that went bad also. If you don't know the refuge, you have to wear mosquito netting to survive out there. Well I was in my tripod, a 80 lb. pig showed up, and decided to take a nap in a mud hole about 20 yards from me. I drew, released and the **** string wrapped up a bunch of mosquito netting on my left arm. The arrow, went left and stuck in the mud directly in front of the pig's nose. The pig stood up sniffed the arrow and climbed out of the mud and walked off. I then had to unwrap the mosquito netting from the string.

Comment

Another hunt, took the **** Oneida again. Was sitting in a oak tree, over a old dried creek. Had my good cover up sent on. Kept hearing something just out of sight under the oaks, I assumed it was a **** squirrel. But after a while a six point got close enough I could see it. I came straight at me, but from my right and a little behind. Sitting on the big oak limb, I could not turn to make that shot. Well the buck came straight at me slowly. I froze, the buck walked directly under me. I took the **** Oneida and lowed it down, to see if I could touch him, came very close. Then he started walking again. I decided oh, what the hell. He was walking away to my left, giving me a quartering away shot. I could not help it. I drew, aimed and released. Well the upper limb on the **** Oneida hit a heavy oak limb above me. The arrow went up into the wild blue yonder. Jacked the bow up, way the hell out of time. The deer had no idea what had just happened. I stayed in the tree, till he left the area, then climbed down. That was the afternoon hunt. I had about a mile walk back to the truck. My day was over. Would take too long to get the bow set back up, in time and tuned again. I carried everything I needed to get it set up and tuned.
                      Another time, hunting in a ground blind, literally, in a hole in the ground. I had a buck come in very close, probably 10' from me, eating cactus. When he had his head down eating, we were eye to eye. I did not move, he kept eating and slowly walking. I was afraid he was going to start nibbling on the cactus I was using as cover. But he slowly started moving away. When he got about 15 yards away, with a quartering away shot, again. I got up on one knee, drew and released, the **** Oneida again. This time the lower limb struck the ground, sent the arrow into the ground about 5' in front of the deer, made one hell of a loud crashing noise, when it hit the rocks. The deer jumped, ran out to about 30 yards from me, stood there looked around, then back my direction, looked around. Then after a while slowly walked off, he had no idea what had happened. Never saw me. Again, the bow was seriously jacked up, to the point, I could not even draw it. So I just watched. Another afternoon hunt screwed.
                      Last edited by RifleBowPistol; 10-20-2017, 10:53 PM.

Comment

Here is some more fun stuff. Hunting one of my favorite areas again. I hiked a couple of miles back to one of my favorite placed to sit. Got there, sat down, went over everything to make sure everything was good. Everything looked good, then about 15 minutes later, I looked at my pin sights, four of my five pins were broke clean off. I had pushed my way through some heavy brush. Cleaned off all but my 40 yard pin. Same area on another hunt, hiked back to the same spot. Got there, went to sit down and realized I had no arrows on my quiver. I got there well before sun up. Was thinking ****ing yay, great. Now I get to back track. So I did, eventually found all of the arrows I started off with. I have done that about three times over the years. I like to push my way through some very dense brush, I keep finding my archery gear, does not like that dense brush as much as I do. I have broke pins on at least two occasions, if not three or four. Only once, did I clean all but one.
                        I have had all types of things come loose on my bows over the years. I have had knocks moved on the string. had the rest come loose and hang way low.

Comment

I'm rooting for RifleBowPistol to now post up a happy moment. Otherwise... you're just jinxed and I'm scared your voodoo might rub off on me

Comment

My first shot I ever took at a deer with a bow, I was about 15 years old. Had a old Ben Pearson Compound, very long bow. One day walking down a ranch road on a ranch outside of Falfurrias, that place was all sand and oaks. Well it was a cool day probably 50s raining, over cast, a bit of fog. Really odd day for October. The deer were running around acting crazy. I saw a couple of bucks in with the doe running around. I walked up in the brush. It was all large oaks with no underbrush or grass. Just oak leaves and sand under the big oaks. The deer never noticed me, they were running back and fourth past me. I walked in slowly, then noticed one of the bucks heading back towards me. I had my Ben Pearson, aluminum Easton arrows and Bear broadheads. This buck came running towards me. I knelt down, drew, the buck came around a large oak and stopped about 20 yards from me, looking right at me. Like what are you doing here? I had my 20 yard pin on his chest, released, I saw the arrow heading straight for his chest, then about 15 ft. in front of the deer, there was a **** little oak sprout sticking up out of the ground. About 1 1/2 ft. high. Just one little limb sticking up. The Bear broad head caught that little limb and turned and went straight into the ground. The buck stood there looking at me for a few seconds, then took off.
                            Years later, I was hunting outside of Big Wells, had a tripod set up on the edge of a old well clearing. Probably a well from 15 years before. Mostly grown up with huisache. Many of the huisache had been torn up by at least one buck. I decided to hunt the area. Most of the morning, before the sun came up, I was hearing hogs, squealing behind me, sounded like they were only 15 to 20 ft. away many times. I could not see anything even after the sun came up. Later when the hogs had moved farther away, I got down to see if I could figure out where they had been. Turns out they had dug basically trenches all through the **** cactus. No wonder I could not see them. They had been as close as 15 ft. away. So I went for a walk, did not make it 30 yards and I hear squealing and grunting again. I went to knock a arrow, right as I pulled a arrow from the quiver, seven hogs came into the opening heading straight for me. I froze, they froze. I knocked the arrow, they heard me knock the arrow. They ran off into the brush. The lead pig, was a huge sow, she ran off in the brush, about 10 yards in the brush and stopped. When she stopped, her shoulder was directly behind a hole in the brush. The hole was about 8" in diameter. I thought, Oh, this is perfect. I drew, released and the arrow nailed her directly on the shoulder. It hit the bone in her shoulder, and bounced back out, hovered for a second and dropped. That was a Beeman carbon fiber arrow, show from a bow set at 72 lbs. The pig jumped squealed and ran off squealing. So that morning hunt was done.
                            Last edited by RifleBowPistol; 10-20-2017, 10:48 PM.

Comment

If it can go wrong, it has probably happened to me at one point or another. I do my best to never forget past problems. I could write a book about problems I have had when hunting.

Comment

Working...
                              X