tanker explosion in gulf

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

tanker explosion in gulf

Coast Guard reportedly working tanker explosion in Gulf.
    Posted: Oct 20, 2017 5:44 AM CDT
    Updated: Oct 20, 2017 6:24 AM CDT
    By Gary AinsworthCONNECT

CORPUS CHRISTI -
    Residents of the Rockport area were shaken awake by some type of explosion around 4:30 Friday morning.

The Rockport police department has confirmed that the Coast Guard is working a tanker on fire offshore in the Gulf of Mexico, near Aransas Pass.

The ocean-going tanker, carrying 140,000 barrels of crude oil, was waiting to cross the sand bar with assistance from a tug boat when the incident occurred.

The Coast Guard says that two crew members are currently unaccounted for at this time.

Prayers for those missing

Comment

Oh no....

Comment

WOW I hope everyone is ok.

Comment

No bueno. Prayers up.

Comment

Prayers up, also concerned about the tbh tuna fishing trip I think those guys are heading out this morning.

Comment

Wow!

Comment

I'm looking at it right now. I looks like it's in the anchorage.
                Attached Files

Comment

Not good prayers up

Comment

whats the name of the tanker?

Comment

Wow bad deal prayers for everyone.

Comment

It either just sunk or they are putting water/foam on it. Smoke went from black to white.

Comment

thanks for the update hog smacker. prayers for those affected.

Residents of the Rockport area were shaken by what witnesses describe as an explosion around 4:30 Friday morning.

The Rockport police department has confirmed that the Coast Guard is working a tanker on fire offshore in the Gulf of Mexico, near Aransas Pass.

The ocean-going tanker, carrying 140,000 barrels of crude oil, was waiting to cross the sand bar with assistance from a tug boat when the incident occurred.

The Coast Guard says six crew members have been pulled away safely and two crew members are currently unaccounted for at this time.

Brothers Ralph and Phil Alvarado, of San Antonio, were fishing when they incident occurred.

Ralph Alvarado said he heard multiple explosions and saw a large mushroom cloud.

Currently the fire is still burning and safety zone has been set up around barge. No traffic is being allowed in or out of the area at this time.

The Coast Guard is in the process of evaluating the fire fighting capabilities while fire fighting boats are on the way to the scene.

The tug boat has been disconnected from the barge and no spillage of crude oil has been reported.

There has been no confirmation of an explosion at this time.

Comment

So, did a tug/tow hit an OGT or reverse collision that caused this?

Comment

Originally posted by thebowhunters View Post
                              Prayers up, also concerned about the tbh tuna fishing trip I think those guys are heading out this morning.

This pic was sent to me from their boat earlier today.

Skinny

Comment

Working...
                              X