Announcement

Collapse

TBH Maintenance

Ongoing TBH Website maintenance this evening. Your TBH visit may not be optimal during this service window.
See more
See less

Anyone made a snake box?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Texastaxi View Post
    Does it help to use all pine? I know it will ignite pretty easy, without gas or anything.
    Lol!

I only use the boxes to store them in. When hunting I Carry a light weight trash can. Deep enough so they can't crawl out and light enough to lug around.

Comment

Originally posted by okrattler View Post
      A buddy of mine has one he made a frame for kind of like a screen door and wrapped it in chicken wire for the flip lid. The only problem I can see with that is if it slid around in the back of the truck and busted the wire then you'd have some get out. He's never had any problems with that happening but it could.

I still like my totes or the ice chest since it's easier to move with one guy. Depending on how many you're gonna put in there and how big the box is those boxes are hard to move around by yourself. In the field a bucket is easier to get a few in and dump them in the box after you get some piled up in the bucket. But a wooden snake box doesn't necessarily have to be huge either for larger individual snakes if you have trouble getting them in the bucket.

Just make your frame and nail the pieces of plywood on except the one your hinges are on since it'll flip open. Put you a latch on the end that flips open so you can lock it then drill some holes in the box so they can breathe and two in both ends to run pieces of rope through for a handle. That's pretty much it.

Oh and if you decide to use a bucket get a screw on lid. That way your hand is always behind the lid when you go to put it on. That's what I have on mine. It's a lot better than picking them up and dropping them in a pillow case. I know a guy that used to do that a lot........lol

Totes, ice chests & trash cans all concern me because it's too easy for lid to pop open if you get in a wreck

Comment

Originally posted by bboswell View Post
        Totes, ice chests & trash cans all concern me because it's too easy for lid to pop open if you get in a wreck
        The ice chest I've seen were modified in a way. They had latches and stuff to keep them from being opened. I guess I did see one guy that uses bungee straps on his. The totes I have,have the deals on the side that snap the lid shut. I used to use the ones that the lid just snapped shut but I bring the snakes in the house or put them in my truck if it gets cold so I didn't trust those as much.

Never had one get loose except one I had in a bucket with a flip lid. He was under the drivers seat in the pickup. I lost a bunch this year....not from getting out. I had them in my garage and had over 50 then it snowed. It was too cold in the garage and the ones that crawled to the bottom of the pile to stay warm suffocated or got crushed.

I never had any trouble keeping them alive before that but it's a good reason to have more than one box.

If I catch a really good one I keep it seperate from all the other snakes too so nothing happens to it. I've had them bite and kill each other before too so if I'm gonna enter a big snake contest at a roundup he gets his own box.
        Last edited by okrattler; 10-19-2017, 01:38 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Fang6130 View Post
          And you want to keep it alive why ?
          exactly!

Comment

Where can I get that guys vest?

Comment

Thank you guys for all of your input. I appreciate it.

Comment

Lets see this big rattlesnake you had trouble getting in a bucket if you have a picture of it. It's always interesting to see what other people catch..

Comment

Working...
                X