Announcement

Collapse

TBH Maintenance

Ongoing TBH Website maintenance this evening. Your TBH visit may not be optimal during this service window.
See more
See less

Polaris - What a Crock! Parts Replacement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So, I have a 2014 Polaris Ranger that's been relatively trouble free aside from a fuel pump that needed to be replaced this past Summer ($500). Easy replacement and had her back on the road in no time. Fast forward to this past weekend at the lease. I had just dropped my wife off at the stand and drove the ranger to park a good ways away into the brush. As soon as I turned the ranger off I smelled gas and thought maybe I had over filled the tank and it was coming out the vent and thought nothing of it. After hunting got back in the Ranger, turned the key on and noticed my fuel level was empty when I had just filled it up the evening before. I crawled underneath the Ranger and lo and behold a 1 inch mesquite limb had punctured perfectly through the gas tank between the frame and floorboard. There is no skid plate in this area and makes it very prone for this type of issue to occur which is beyond me after looking at the design. So I headed into town and bought a temporary patch kit and made it through the rest of the weekend with plans of buying a new tank when I got home. I scoured and scoured the internet and all kinds of UTV Parts shops with no one offering a gas tank alone. Everyone from Polaris Direct to aftermarket shops had you having to buy the fuel tank assembly which includes the fuel pump at a cost of $1,000+! Even my local reputable Polaris dealer parts department said that is the only way to replace the tank. So I called Polaris corporate and after getting the runaround they tell me they're going to have to research it and see what can be done but they do not sell just the fuel tank alone. I reinforced my concern with a company that would force a consumer to spend 5 times what the cost should be to replace a part that should be readily available especially considering the poor design to protect the fuel tank. They offer the fuel pump separate so it makes absolutely no sense to not offer the fuel tank separate. It's crap like this that makes me want to go to a different manufacturer that supports their customers just as much as their product. I'm usually not one to run a company through the mud but if they tell me I can't buy that fuel tank alone I'm going to make sure every online Polaris website and forum knows how crappy their service and design is. What makes it really disappointing is the machine has been great for me and my family and I have religiously changed every fluid and maintained the vehicle probably even better than my daily drivers.

I had three of them and finally gave up on them and changed to Kubota - Polaris is horrible

Comment

I've only owned 1 Polaris. It spent more time in the shop then in my possession. After about a year I sold it, should have never left Honda in the first place and will never again.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Comment

what does your tank look like? what model? 800? here is a link below I just found one on ebay, not sure if it will help you out.

Comment

Since I have never owned a UTV other than my Polaris I have no idea about parts for the other manufacturers, their cost or availability. But I do know that Polaris is higher than a cat's back on all of their parts and on their hourly service charges.

I have had few problems with my 800 Crew though but cringed at the cost of replacing boots and the services on the thing.

I seriously doubt that I'll be getting another Polaris when we sell this one in a couple of years.

Comment

Have a buddy who loves him some Polaris. Of course he is a service tech and says if it weren't for them, he would go broke

Comment

Man, I hate to hear it. I have 2010 Polaris Ranger Crew and in the 7 years I've had, I havent spent any money on it except for batteries and maintenance.

Comment

We had a local fab shop make a Aluminum Tank to replace the one from Polaris. Same issue you have cost was about $350 and took about 2 weeks.

LWR2

Comment

Originally posted by Sackett View Post
                  So, I have a 2014 Polaris Ranger that's been relatively trouble free aside from a fuel pump that needed to be replaced this past Summer ($500). Easy replacement and had her back on the road in no time. Fast forward to this past weekend at the lease. I had just dropped my wife off at the stand and drove the ranger to park a good ways away into the brush. As soon as I turned the ranger off I smelled gas and thought maybe I had over filled the tank and it was coming out the vent and thought nothing of it. After hunting got back in the Ranger, turned the key on and noticed my fuel level was empty when I had just filled it up the evening before. I crawled underneath the Ranger and lo and behold a 1 inch mesquite limb had punctured perfectly through the gas tank between the frame and floorboard. There is no skid plate in this area and makes it very prone for this type of issue to occur which is beyond me after looking at the design. So I headed into town and bought a temporary patch kit and made it through the rest of the weekend with plans of buying a new tank when I got home. I scoured and scoured the internet and all kinds of UTV Parts shops with no one offering a gas tank alone. Everyone from Polaris Direct to aftermarket shops had you having to buy the fuel tank assembly which includes the fuel pump at a cost of $1,000+! Even my local reputable Polaris dealer parts department said that is the only way to replace the tank. So I called Polaris corporate and after getting the runaround they tell me they're going to have to research it and see what can be done but they do not sell just the fuel tank alone. I reinforced my concern with a company that would force a consumer to spend 5 times what the cost should be to replace a part that should be readily available especially considering the poor design to protect the fuel tank. They offer the fuel pump separate so it makes absolutely no sense to not offer the fuel tank separate. It's crap like this that makes me want to go to a different manufacturer that supports their customers just as much as their product. I'm usually not one to run a company through the mud but if they tell me I can't buy that fuel tank alone I'm going to make sure every online Polaris website and forum knows how crappy their service and design is. What makes it really disappointing is the machine has been great for me and my family and I have religiously changed every fluid and maintained the vehicle probably even better than my daily drivers.
                  Find a plug that's bigger than the hole. Drill it out , install new drain plug. Bingo, now you can drain your gas tank easy if you ever need . eBay will have some used ones for sale. No way I'd buy a new one.

Comment

Originally posted by LWR2 View Post
                    We had a local fab shop make a Aluminum Tank to replace the one from Polaris. Same issue you have cost was about $350 and took about 2 weeks.

LWR2
                    This sounds like a great solution, and while they are at it make a skid plate for it.

Comment

I don't understand the Polaris brotherhood. There have been more threads than I can possibly remember about various breakdowns and repairs. Every once in awhile someone will post they have had one a few years with no problems but that is the exception.

I hope you find a reasonable fix to your gas tank.

Comment

Originally posted by Brett C View Post
                        Find a plug that's bigger than the hole. Drill it out , install new drain plug. Bingo, now you can drain your gas tank easy if you ever need . eBay will have some used ones for sale. No way I'd buy a new one.
                        this.. ive made drain plugs on trucks that sit and it works great, just install a threaded fitting with a ball valve

Comment

Had a Polaris Sportsman 500 growing up and nonstop issues.

Comment

One word... HONDA...

Comment

Originally posted by LWR2 View Post

LWR2

Great idea right here.

You’ll have to excuse my absence, I’m heading outside to replace the TBAP sensor wiring harness on my Ranger right now[emoji51].
                              New master cylinder was yesterday’s chore.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                              Last edited by DaveC; 10-17-2017, 11:24 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X