No announcement yet.

Broadhead tuning - at my wit's end!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Make sure your draw stops on the cams are both hitting at the same time.

Comment

it could be the bow itself? I had similar experience

I shoot a QAD setup on Hoyt Defiant 28" 70lbs and I could not get slicktricks to fly (which is a first for me). My setup shoots great and the arrow flies true from what I can tell out to 60 yards. I just cant get fixed broadheads to hit with field points. That being said, my fixed blade broadheads group tight and hit the same place everytime, which is about 2" left of my field points

I think it could just be weird nock travel or something with the Defiant series of bows. maybe cam lean or cam timing issue?

Comment

Originally posted by Sika View Post
        This one has me and my pro shop stumped.

Set up is Hoyt Defiant - 26.5" draw @ 46 lbs.
        Arrows are Gold Tip XT Hunter 400 spine (I've tried 500 also) cut to 26.5"
        100 grain field point with 50 grain weighted insert. Total arrow weight is 375 grains. Rest is QAD drop a way.
        Broadheads are 100 grain slick tricks.

At 30 yards, my broadheads are consistently impacting 6" low relative to field points. At 20 yards, still low but only by a couple inches.
        I have tried moving the rest up. No change. I have gone from 500 to 400 spine arrows...no change. I have tried different broadheads..even worse.

Now I'm seeing what appears to be color transfer from my vanes in the "U" of the rest.

I'm at the point of wanting to start completely over with a different arrow rest. I've had QADs before on other bows and have never had this problem. The pro shop recently checked cam timing. Arrows made good tears through paper. I haven't re-checked paper tuning since I messed with the rest.

Outta ideas...what say you green screen?
        I had the exact same issue. String stretch so just adjusted nock, rest, paper tune. Issue resolved.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by rocky View Post
          Your arrows are contacting your rest.
          This can be a rest timing issue, or a cam timing issue.
          Confirm that your cams are in time, then run your static cord thru your cable and draw the bow to set your rest timing. Throw the clamp away.
          The QAD is a good self timing rest, so no need to try and manipulate timing.
          If your cam timing is right, this sequence will get broadheads very close.
          Originally posted by oktx View Post
          Good to see you post.
          x1,000,000

Comment

Originally posted by noflyzone View Post
            it could be the bow itself? I had similar experience

I shoot a QAD setup on Hoyt Defiant 28" 70lbs and I could not get slicktricks to fly (which is a first for me). My setup shoots great and the arrow flies true from what I can tell out to 60 yards. I just cant get fixed broadheads to hit with field points. That being said, my fixed blade broadheads group tight and hit the same place everytime, which is about 2" left of my field points

I think it could just be weird nock travel or something with the Defiant series of bows. maybe cam lean or cam timing issue?

I ordered my Hoyt Defiant with 55-65lb limbs and I shoot mine maxed out at 65lbs. I think I was riding the lighting on a spine issue. My fixed blades were shooting a few inches off compared to field tips.

All I did was switch to a 350 spine arrow and problem solved. My sorted box of fix blades hit exactly the same as my field tips. It’s an incredibly accurate bow.
            I killed my Big 8 opening morning with a 3 blade Muzzy.

I’m guessing most of the time it just may like a stiffer spine arrow.

Comment

Forgot to mention I’m using a Limbdriver Pro V though.

Comment

Working...
              X