Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Fellow TBH'er killed possible state record????????

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Michael View Post
    Forgive my ignorance, but is there an official TPWD position on tracking/dispatching a wounded deer after dark? I've never thought about it, but I'm guessing more than a few have had to do the same. I suppose technically, unless specifically stated otherwise, it would be illegal.
    from TPWD

no person may possess a shotgun and buckshot or slugs while in the field with dogs on another person's land during an open deer season in Angelina, Hardin, Jasper, Nacogdoches, Newton, Orange, Sabine, San Augustine, Shelby, and Tyler counties.

It is unlawful to use dogs to trail a wounded deer in the counties listed above.
    Not more than two dogs may be used to trail a wounded deer in counties not listed above. A "wounded deer" is a deer leaving a blood trail.
    I don't see why it would be a problem to use a dog day or night in Grayson county

Comment

Originally posted by Rack Ranch View Post
      What are these Bow Only counties being mentioned? I didn't know there was such a thing in Texas. Edumacate me...

Some counties are bow only. Class dismissed.

The Outdoor Annual is your homework

Comment

All that I can say is that TP&W is not fond of "gray areas". Remember the guys who took the state record gator a few years ago on the Trinity River got dragged through the mud, and, after much gnashing of teeth and legal wrangling, they were exonerated. Killing a large animal under legal but questionable circumstances comes with a price.

Comment

Originally posted by Rack Ranch View Post
          What are these Bow Only counties being mentioned? I didn't know there was such a thing in Texas. Edumacate me...
          Grayson, Collin, Rockwall....and maybe Galveston?

Comment

Originally posted by duckmanep View Post
            how much would the restitution charge be on a deer like this if it were taken illegally?
            according to a link to another deer killed that was 170 or above it would be
            10K or more

Comment

Originally posted by SFAbowhunter View Post
              Grayson, Collin, Rockwall....and maybe Galveston?
              Dallas

Comment

Originally posted by flywise View Post
                from TPWD

no person may possess a shotgun and buckshot or slugs while in the field with dogs on another person's land during an open deer season in Angelina, Hardin, Jasper, Nacogdoches, Newton, Orange, Sabine, San Augustine, Shelby, and Tyler counties.

It is unlawful to use dogs to trail a wounded deer in the counties listed above.
                Not more than two dogs may be used to trail a wounded deer in counties not listed above. A "wounded deer" is a deer leaving a blood trail.
                I don't see why it would be a problem to use a dog day or night in Grayson county

He wasn't asking about a dog, but about dispatching the deer, I think. Dogs are fine in counties that allow them. It's the weapons used to finish the deer that could be a problem
                Last edited by AntlerCollector; 10-11-2017, 01:35 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Fishndude View Post
                  Dallas
                  Dang it, FND! I knew I missed one!

Comment

total waste of time this thread many called it on about page one or two.

Comment

Originally posted by AntlerCollector View Post
                      He wasn't asking about a dog, but about dispatching the deer
                      Crap...my bad

Comment

Originally posted by ultrastealth View Post
                        All that I can say is that TP&W is not fond of "gray areas". Remember the guys who took the state record gator a few years ago on the Trinity River got dragged through the mud, and, after much gnashing of teeth and legal wrangling, they were exonerated. Killing a large animal under legal but questionable circumstances comes with a price.
                        But if the deer comes from behind a huge fence nothing happens.

The man is keeping low fence hunters down

Comment

Originally posted by ultrastealth View Post
                          Yea. He's a regular poster here as well lol

Comment

Originally posted by flywise View Post
                            from TPWD

I don't think a dog was ever mentioned..........until now.

Comment

Originally posted by duckmanep View Post
                              how much would the restitution charge be on a deer like this if it were taken illegally?
                              $100 per inch

Comment

Legal hunting hours are 30 mins before sunrise and 30 mins after sunset. I never understood seeing a hunter track a wounded animal on hunting shows with a bow or gun in hand after legal shooting light. You can't legally shoot it if you found it. So what's the point of carrying a weapon on an after dark recovery. Best to just back out and come back the next morning. Great if you recover it dead, but if not hope for another chance at it during legal hunting hours. Just something that has always bothered me.

Comment

Working...
                                X