Going on an Elk Hunt!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by PapaBear View Post
    Well guys, today was two different places. I walked about 10 miles all together. Didn't see any thing on my walks. My Granddad and I saw 2 mule deer bucks, 1 good one about 700 yards away up on the divide. The second walk as mentioned was uneventful until the drive out. We literally missed the opportunity at two different Bulls by a minute or two as we were driving out. I couldn't get the gun out for a running shot before they were in the trees. If we would have been a hair earlier we would have seen them and they may not have spooked. The timing will line up sooner or later. On a bright note we have seen a bull every day and the guy who shot the one in front of me yesterday gave me his cow call. He was native American so it's got to be legit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Best of luck to you! I hope you get it done tomorrow.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by drwilliams View Post
      Best of luck to you! I hope you get it done tomorrow.

Me too. If my legs will let me, I think I may try gold bar or back up to crystal and see if those two Bulls are around.

Comment

In! Can't wait to see pics of a big dead bull Elk.

Comment

Me too. If my legs will let me, I think I may try gold bar or back up to crystal and see if those two Bulls are around.

Id stick with the two you seen already I bet they didn't go far. Get into the timber walk slow and keep your eyes open.

Comment

Originally posted by drwilliams View Post
            Id stick with the two you seen already I bet they didn't go far. Get into the timber walk slow and keep your eyes open.

I am leaning that way. My only concern is they were running pretty hard and didn't seem to slow down when they hit the timber. I miss my 30 acres with a feeder on it lol less options ha ha. I am doing everything I can to take all this in.

Comment

Good luck guys! What weapon are you using?

Comment

I am leaning that way. My only concern is they were running pretty hard and didn't seem to slow down when they hit the timber. I miss my 30 acres with a feeder on it lol less options ha ha. I am doing everything I can to take all this in.

It's one of the hardest and funnest hunts I have ever been on. I'm not sure how many times I said pi$$ on this i won't ever do this again. Well here I am 19 days away from heading back that way.

Comment

Originally posted by flinger View Post
                  Good luck guys! What weapon are you using?

Browning A-bolt Hunter 30-06. I hope to continue the legacy of killing an elk with it as my granddad who gave it to me did twice. Also shooting a custom load zeroed at 200 yards with ballistics trajectory out to 500

Comment

Good Luck! Stay positive!

Comment

Originally posted by DUKFVR View Post
                      Good Luck! Stay positive!

Thanks and that is easier said than done lol but dad gummit we are trying lol

Comment

Public land hunting is tough. You are doing awesome if you are seeing bulls. Stay after it. I hunted 4 days two seasons ago on a public land cow hunt before connecting. Keep grinding and stay prepared- it can happen quick.

Comment

Originally posted by basschump View Post
                          Public land hunting is tough. You are doing awesome if you are seeing bulls. Stay after it. I hunted 4 days two seasons ago on a public land cow hunt before connecting. Keep grinding and stay prepared- it can happen quick.

Thanks for the encouragement. We will keep our noses on the grind stone until we get it done or run out of days!

Comment

Just a few landscape pics

Comment

You've got some good cold weather coming on Thursday. A dusting of snow is good tracking snow. The cold should get them feeding a little later in the morning or earlier in the evening. The wind may have them bedded up until it dies down a bit though. Watch out for those standing dead trees.

Comment

Not sure what part of unit you are hunting but I have a couple of places that have been reliable for us in the past and are fairly easy access. If you are interested send me a PM and would be happy to share.

Comment

Working...
                                X