Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Dale pretty much covered day 2 already. It was a long and hot. We took a pretty good beating from the sun day 1 and luckily had brought sun screen along for day two. It was a sore sight watching those rams run over the ridge after waiting up there 4 hours baking in the sun. Such is sheep hunting I suppose. Dale and I pretty much tried to nestle our way in the rocks small bushes for any piece of shade we could find. Our guide just sat there up top in full sun like it was no big deal. The one part he left off was we actually got back on those sheep sorta. Once we got back to the vehicle we decided to circle back around the mountains we were just on and see if we could find out where they went. One of the roads made a big loop around after about 30-45 mins in the vehicle we made it to area where the rams had fled. I’m riding up top and as we turned the corner I could see 4 of them on a dead run about 100 yards or so up in front of us. They guide said to hold on and threw it into 3rd and possibly 4th gear. The rams crossed over the road to our left. We were hauling and almost made it up to parallel with them when we had to make an emergency stop before we barreled into a severely washed out road. They kept going back in the high ridge area of the ranch. At first I thought we may have run them off the property until the guide pointed to a far off peak and said this ranch went past it. It was unbelievable to watch those sheep cover that ground that fast. I’ve seen it watching video of survey’s and drone footage but to watch it in person was crazy.

Comment

makes me want to book a hunt!

Comment

Day two before we lost all the morning shade.

Comment

Day 3 it all seemed to come together. I think we both had a better grip on what it was we were doing out there. Glassing was easier and we were able to find the sheep without having to rely on the guide to spot them first. It was an awesome sight to see that ram bolt out of cover directly in front of us and Dale laying down the hammer just before topped the ridge. The guide had me stalk in with them in case there was another good ram. My one regret was not putting down the rifle and taking some video. I watched the whole thing go down in my crosshairs. Walking up on Dale’s ram there was no question he was mature trophy ram and the reason we made this trip. It was a blessing to witness and won’t be forgotten.

Comment

Nice!

Comment

Couple of pics on the way back from Dales ram. Also found out during the haul out guide had a broken foot and a metal plate in his boot.

Comment

After taking Dale’s ram back to the lodge and caping him out we had a bite for lunch and headed back out to Horse Thief for my redemption. Spirts were up after Dale connected. I was a bit jealous watching him drink cold dudes on the ride back out but I still had work to do. We followed our normal routine and glass the ridges and valleys as we drove in. Saw a few nice rams on the way in but they were way off and wound have been a long and difficult stalk. We kept moving. As we were coming up to one of the coolest areas of the ranch we’d seen we came up one of the many protein feeders. As luck would have it there were two sheep feeding under it. I grabbed my rifle as we watched them quickly exit and run over a small ridge. There was a huge sheer cliff another 300-400 yards over the ridge they ran over. The guide said he’s seem large groups feed in that area. We drove up another 75 yards or so and just as we were getting to the ridge a young sheep appeared directly in front of us at 60 yards. I jumped up in the high rack about the time she saw looked up and saw us. We did the stare down thing for a few minutes and decided we needed to sneak up to the ridge and peak over to see what else was there. About that time the one staring at us turned and ran back behind the ridge. It wasn’t a full out sprint but it was enough to put all the other sheep on alert. We made it to the ridge as about 20-30 sheep started to move out to our left. I threw down my pack and tried to find a rest in the rocks. I believe there were several good rams in the group but was only looking through my scope. The guide picked out a shooter and I was luckily able to locate it. I think the first yardage he gave me was 270ish but don’t recall exactly. There was no clear shot at the time. The target ram and several others had grouped up under a cedar tree. It seemed like forever and every time they’d move there was another ram in front or back or a bush or something that wouldn’t allow for a clear shot. As they all slowly filed out around a point I was basically down to one last shot window. The guide gave me 325 yards. That was not ideal distance for me but I had a solid rest and was surprisingly steady. The ram finally made a move thru my shot window. I aimed top of his back above the front shoulder and let her rip.

Comment

I'm not sure this will work but Dale was behind me shooting video. I don't believe you can see the actual ram but I'll never forget the sound of that shot echoing down the side of that cliff.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. Posting of objectionable material in text, attachments or embedded links is grounds for immediate suspension.
                    I AGREE, PLAY EMBEDDED VIDEO

Or maybe this...

Last edited by Treylog; 10-17-2017, 02:35 PM.

Comment

After the shot I tried to get back on him but could only see dust in the scope. I racked another shell but the sheep had all cleared the ridge and could be seen running over the top of the next ridge over. The guide kept watch as they cleared that next ridge and only saw a few of the larger rams clear it. Unsure of the shot the emotions set in once again. Was it a clean miss? Did I hit low? Why was there so much dust? Did I force the shot? I had just recently practiced at 300. What they hell was I thinking at 325?

We gave it a few minutes and then started to hike over. No blood. According to our guide this is not uncommon with these rams as they have large chest cavities that can hold a lot of blood. We slowly rounded the point in the direction the sheep departed. Stopping every 15 yards are so to glass. In my mind I kept hoping for the guide to say “he’s down” but he never did. After searching awhile we turned back. I was feeling really low at this point. We had another day to hunt but I was pretty beat down both mentally and physically. It was about that time the guide whispered “there he is” pointing down the hill. I quickly started looking down the hill a few hundred yards not seeing anything. I looked over at Dale and asked him if he saw him. He points directly in front of us downhill about 50 yards. The ram had bedded down behind a bush as we came in and apparently stood up as we came back. He was slobbering all over the place didn’t appear ready to make a run for it. I tried to quickly put him down and successfully did but the shakes took over as soon as I shot. I sat there a few moments in complete unbelief of what just happened.

Comment

After high fives and congrats we headed down to him. The first shot was a little far back and was likely due to him to taking a step or two and apparently slightly quartering away. Either way I was extremely excited and proud we got him down.

Comment

Nice ram! Awesome hunt!

Comment

The trip back to the lodge was bittersweet knowing it would be the last time we would venture back into those mountains. Hopefully we can make it back sometime in the future.

Sorry if I got long winded but I feel like I'm always on here following everyone else's hunts and want to contribute. As Dale already said I can't say enough about the outfitter, guide, cook and accommodations. If this is on your bucket list I highly recommend them. Everyone should get a chance to experience this country at least once in their lifetime.

Comment

Awesome hunt, congrats!

Comment

Great sheep and even better recap. Congrats!

Comment

Working...
                                X