• Show
Clear All

Nice sheep!!!!! Congrats

Comment

Way to go guy's! Congrats!

Comment

Originally posted by Atfulldraw View Post
        Congrats on a kick *** stinky goat!

where are you getting that thing taxidermized?

Rob at Hip-O in Alpine does a fine job on the west texas animals......and he's one of the fastest in the business, and it's a good excuse to drive back to pick up your mount and take in some more scenery.

if you're into that...

I'm sure Chance will do the honors, he cusses me otherwise. But in his defense he probably cusses me anyway.

The sheep were properly celebrated...

Now it's time for that long road home.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

So what was the mixup with Treys ram?

Comment

Originally posted by trophy8 View Post
            So what was the mixup with Treys ram?

We were chasing a group of 5 with a big one in it and lost sight of them, found them again and he shot the biggest one. Problem was we had found a different group of 5 and the biggest one was not nearly as big.

Trey was upset but didn't say so to our guide. Our guide called the boss man on his own and they set it right and let Trey kill another, which ended up being a nice mature ram at a little over 29"....at 325yds.

Neither of us could be happier with Dessert Safaris, 1st class operation in every regard.

Comment

Awesome!! When you get a minute send me pricing info on it. I've been looking at doing one out there for a long while.

Comment

Comment

Comment

Comment

Nice work. Great goat.

See any big mule deer?
                      They pull some nice deer off that ranch.

Comment

We were headed for the canyons yesterday, we glasses some stuff on the way and saw a few sheep, but nothing to go after. When we were still always outside Rincon Canyon we stopped to glass the entrance and I first spotted some sheep up above the rim with the binos at maybe a little short of a mile. We could see the ram was nice with the spotting scope, so we closed the distance to about 1000 yds and looked again. We were coming up with a plan when he started moving down into a little side canyon in a hurry.

He was on top to the right in this pic a moved down and left toward that shadowy area. There's a little rim there that doesn't really show in the picture. The ewe and 2 lambs were up above that sheet rock face.

This is from where we parked Aoudad 1.

Comment

Awesome hunt and pics, great animals, congrats

Comment

He disappeared in that shadowy area and we weren't sure if he went down and to the right, or continued over to the left behind that cliff. Come to find out there is a draw that runs up kind of along the edge of that shadow. This is a reoccuring theme in this country, everything is twice as far as it seems, 3 times as rough, 4 times as high, and there always one more draw than you think. The ewe was watching us from above but we just couldn't worry about her.

We first went down through a creek bed and a bunch of that **** white brush up to that rock face to the right and worked toward the entrance to this little bowl to try to peek in there. As we did the ewe, and her lambs disappeared but we were still fairly confident the ram was still in there.

We decided to come back down to the dry creek bed that ran across the opening of this bowl and just glass it a little at a time. We worked our way until we could see everything in there and he was not to be seen. Either he had blown out up the right side of the bowl, or he was tucked in behind that rock outcropping on the left.

Comment

That country is beautiful. Congrats to both of you.

Comment

So we started working our way up toward the base of that rock and slowly easing back in there, the shade was gone by this point. As we got back in there we could see the lambs standing on a ledge up near the rim, and eventually saw the ewe bedded on a rock below them. We stood there for about a half hour or so waiting and classing the rocks and brush looking for the tip of a horn, flick of a tail, anything, and never could find him. We decided to push the matter some.

The guide was gonna ease out to the right putting him in full view of the ewe, I threw my pack over a boulder and had a hell of a shot at their escape route, the plan being to spook them up over the rim and he would surely follow and we'd have him over a barrel. She was 107yds above us.

John eased out into view and she didn't budge, she knew we were there the whole time, but she just kaput watching us. John continued to move further out in the open and look for our boy for the next 15 minutes or so. I just held the scope on the ewe, Trey was to my left glassing. Finally John whistles at me to let me know he had eyes on the ram and motioning for me to get my *** over to him RIGHT NOW! I covered the 30 yards or so over to him with all the grace of a drunken giraffe on ice and he told me to throw my pack on a rock, "he's right at the base of the rim staring at us, kill him". Just as I threw my pack down I heard him blow out. He was inside 90 yards and I'll never forget the sound of hooves hitting rocks and rocks flying. Ol boy wanted out of that place right now, and he was making it happen! He covered the hundred or so yards from his napping spot, across in front of us, and back toward the top center of the above picture, in about 3 seconds.

Comment

Working...
                                X