Scent control explained- long read

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Smart View Post
    I am a tryer of vanilla back before East Texas made it cool circa 2007-2008 and did not have good results.

I still dont understand how a deer can get a nose full enough of this new stuff out in the wide open 25 foot in a tree or sitting in a box to affect a body part of an animal. It would seem to have to be ultra concentrated

Well Ima trying it when it comes in, I'll let y'all know what I think.
    Heck I've tried it ALL already (except ozonics) so another $20 thrown at it is nothing new to me.
    Heck I already have a can of Nose Jammer in my case I haven't tried yet either. (Those podcast guys -Wired to hunt- kept saying great things about it so I bit on that too) Same principle as what this other stuff is claiming.

What I do know, is what works on my Splendora lease doesn't translate to working well on my Menard lease and visa versa.

And no, I don't stink extra bad and know how to play the game, I kill my share and pass on numerous every year.
    Just looking for an added edge- especially for the Splendora deer- I swear they can smell downwind of their position sometimes.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by DaveC View Post
      Well Ima trying it when it comes in, I'll let y'all know what I think.
      Heck I've tried it ALL already (except ozonics) so another $20 thrown at it is nothing new to me.
      Heck I already have a can of Nose Jammer in my case I haven't tried yet either. (Those podcast guys -Wired to hunt- kept saying great things about it so I bit on that too) Same principle as what this other stuff is claiming.

What I do know, is what works on my Splendora lease doesn't translate to working well on my Menard lease and visa versa.

And no, I don't stink extra bad and know how to play the game, I kill my share and pass on numerous every year.
      Just looking for an added edge- especially for the Splendora deer- I swear they can smell downwind of their position sometimes.

Sounds like a plan. Keep us updated. I'd like to know how strong it is on your clothes as well... might give a better sense of how a deer can get a good enough whiff of it.

Comment

Originally posted by Smart View Post
        My regular feeder deer were seemingly ok with it. I'm assuming since I put it on a shirt and tied it to the legs as directed and put it on the corn. New and mature bucks new to the feedpen we're not fans. They would walk to the pen smell and turnaround. Had that happen several times on new deer while in the blind not seen on my camera in 2008. 2 were shooter bucks. I can't risk that happening to keep my regular feeder deer happy. It's a foreign smell to new deer as I see it.

To each their own
        Exactly that. I hunt highly pressured public land deer where no feed is allowed, those things smell anything out of the ordinary and they run to the next county. I swear they'd smell corn and bolt lol.

Comment

Flyby...Thank you for posting this. Very very helpful information...and I was reading as I watched two deer come in downwind, licking their noses and bust out once winded. The ground disturbance part surprised me.

God bless working dogs and their handlers.

Comment

Originally posted by Smart
            We get it. You are a Scent Thief pimp. That's the only reason somebody would bump a thread 18 hours later out of the blue for a product promotion....

PM Mary to pay your sponsorship dues and pimp all you want.[emoji1303]
            I had a dream about scent thief in my sleep, must be some new hypno therapy sales pitch

Comment

Scent control explained- long read

Well guys I had my first experience with the Scent Thief today.
              I hunted a stand where the wind wouldn't be perfect so I could provide results for this test.

Splendora - 64*, slight breeze out of the north that turned to east.
              I had two dink does come out at sun up somewhat down wind. They nosed around the edge of the feeder throw area and didn't care for the hand corn I had thrown under it (they never do here , I need to stop using it at feeder stands). They went back and forth into the brush then out again and were joined by another doe after about 5 minutes of this.
              The new doe was a smidgen larger, but still a runt as far as poking holes in them goes.
              This third doe did the smell my steps and walk my path to where she was practically under my stand. This is when the feeder went off and she booked it behind me out of sight- but never blew as she left.

I can say the smell didn't spook them, but they knew it was a foreign smell and were trying to locate its source.

The scent thief smell is an odd one.
              It smells like 2 smells to me-1. a juniper minty cedar or pine of some sort and 2. crawfish boil- or one of the seasonings in crawfish boil anyways .

So , for now - it's a weird cover scent that didn't spook these does, but didn't settle them down either. I'll be giving it another shot tomorrow morning on a different stand.

Comment

Originally posted by DaveC View Post
                Well guys I had my first experience with the Scent Thief today.
                I hunted a stand where the wind wouldn't be perfect so I could provide results for this test.

Splendora - 64*, slight breeze out of the north that turned to east.
                I had two dink does come out at sun up somewhat down wind. They nosed around the edge of the feeder throw area and didn't care for the hand corn I had thrown under it (they never do here , I need to stop using it at feeder stands). They went back and forth into the brush then out again and were joined by another doe after about 5 minutes of this.
                The new doe was a smidgen larger, but still a runt as far as poking holes in them goes.
                This third doe did the smell my steps and walk my path to where she was practically under my stand. This is when the feeder went off and she booked it behind me out of sight- but never blew as she left.

I can say the smell didn't spook them, but they knew it was a foreign smell and were trying to locate its source.

The scent thief smell is an odd one.
                It smells like 2 smells to me-1. a juniper minty cedar or pine of some sort and 2. crawfish boil- or one of the seasonings in crawfish boil anyways .

So , for now - it's a weird cover scent that didn't spook these does, but didn't settle them down either. I'll be giving it another shot tomorrow morning on a different stand.

People around these parts ( TBH ) say all the time that introducing a new smell to an area will have the deer high tailing it to the next county

Comment

Hey

Comment

I placed the first smell this am while spraying down- vicks vapor rub.
                    At least my sinuses will be clear while on the stand.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Cool... Thanks for sharing the info... Keep us posted on how it works for you.

Comment

flyby, I am pretty interested in the nuances of scent as it relates to hunting, especially when it does not contain a product name. I appreciate the info.

No offense meant to Bowman01. I appreciate the sharing of what works for you.

I'm betting on the pooch though.

Comment

Originally posted by Bowman01
                          Scent Thief will shut down the dogs ability to smell anything. As well as all animals and humans. It is a must see to believe it.

Originally posted by flyby
                          If you're in the DFW area send me a PM. Would love to try it out sometime. Can do it with a track and area search. Bet my dog will find you in both situations.
                          I wish this would happen... with video... I wanna see this.

Comment

Oh and this thread has made me laugh... A LOT...

Comment

good write up.

going to order some scent thief, I've spent money in worse ways.

Comment

Comment

Working...
                                X