Deer not eating the corn

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by EastTx View Post
    I know nothing about the habitat out West so forgive me for a stupid question...Are all of the oaks the same kind of tree? That would be really tough if they are.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
    I would bet not. And even if they are deer will still have their favorites. Either because of adjacent cover or soil type.

Comment

Originally posted by SwineAssassiN View Post
      What's wrong with that? Makes the deer fat and healthy.. see mature deer and harvest deer every year over acorns. Unless you're a die hard feeder camper..
      Where I hunt there are NO acorns.. I was just posting as to why the deer have left the corn.

Appreciate your tips.......

Comment

Deer not eating the corn

I know nothing about the habitat out West so forgive me for a stupid question...Are all of the oaks the same kind of tree? That would be really tough if they are.

The trees I mentioned above are all live oaks. I could add another 10K+ in smaller shinoaks but didn't. The pic posted above by Damon J is what you see all over on a big acorn year like this year. Believe me if it wasn't a crapshoot we'd give it more shots.

That being said... we do have high deer pops so they get them picked up fairly quickly. We also have some goats that will help. They are usually a tough hunt now through late October/ early Nov if we have a good crop.

Originally posted by Etxnoodler View Post
        I would bet not. And even if they are deer will still have their favorites. Either because of adjacent cover or soil type.

You would lose that bet I'm afraid. The trees I was referring to are all live oaks. I could add another 10K pin oaks to the mix but I left those out too.

Favorite trees? [emoji848]. This isn't East Texas where they have 5 oak trees amongst 1,000 pines. The whole 2400 acres.... well 4100 total is covered in oaks, with cedar and mesquite mixed. Throw in high deer populations and picking the one tree tree within a 40 yard circle that the deer you are looking for will be at to set a tree stand in is a crap shoot. Not to mention trying to set up on a wind when deer come from all directions.

It's easy to sit under a pine and tell folks to set up on an certain oak tree from so far away but I'm telling you it's nothing like what you are used to. I wished we had 15-20 white oaks only to chose from on our property. It might be doable.
        Last edited by Smart; 09-27-2017, 07:02 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Etxnoodler View Post
          I'll never understand people worrying about acorns messing up sitting at corn. Get out there and actually scout around and don't just sit at corn.

Come on brother, it aint hunting if you don't park 100 yards from a box blind and hop out with a cooler of beer.

Comment

I had some deer during the dry time of Summer, but now its puro javeline near Kingsville. I set up a random cam on a trail and got 3 bucks together crossing. It was like counting sheep/deer one minute apart on my game cam. Feeders were nearby. Javies are licking me clean, even sleeping under one feeder...Typical for this time of year

Comment

Originally posted by Smart View Post
              The trees I mentioned above are all live oaks. I could add another 10K+ in smaller shinoaks but didn't. The pic posted above by Damon J is what you see all over on a big acorn year like this year. Believe me if it wasn't a crapshoot we'd give it more shots.

That being said... we do have high deer pops so they get them picked up fairly quickly. We also have some goats that will help. They are usually a tough hunt now through late October/ early Nov if we have a good crop.

You would lose that bet I'm afraid. The trees I was referring to are all live oaks. I could add another 10K pin oaks to the mix but I left those out too.

Favorite trees? [emoji848]. This isn't East Texas where they have 5 oak trees amongst 1,000 pines. The whole 2400 acres.... well 4100 total is covered in oaks, with cedar and mesquite mixed. Throw in high deer populations and picking the one tree tree within a 40 yard circle that the deer you are looking for will be at to set a tree stand in is a crap shoot. Not to mention trying to set up on a wind when deer come from all directions.

It's easy to sit under a pine and tell folks to set up on an certain oak tree from so far away but I'm telling you it's nothing like what you are used to. I wished we had 15-20 white oaks only to chose from on our property. It might be doable.
              A ridge I scouted this afternoon running along side a creek bottom had White Oaks, Chinquapin Oaks, Red Oaks, Water Oaks, Willow Oaks, Overcup Oaks, and a few Post Oaks at the top. I can see how it would be hard to pick a specific tree in your situation.

Comment

Originally posted by Smart View Post

Great explanation! Lots of acorn hunting experts out there.😂 I have the same problem as you. 500 acres of live oak thicket. Piles of acorns under all. The mature deer all move deep in the thickets. I guess I could just walk in there with my longbow and climb a tree. That thought never crossed my mind.

Comment

Originally posted by speck1 View Post
                  Great explanation! Lots of acorn hunting experts out there.😂 I have the same problem as you. 500 acres of live oak thicket. Piles of acorns under all. The mature deer all move deep in the thickets. I guess I could just walk in there with my longbow and climb a tree. That thought never crossed my mind.

We are all experts on our own hunting grounds..

Really though I was just trying to explain its not as easy as just putting a blanket statement on how to do things in all places. I try not tell folks how they should hunt nor tell them "what is hunting and what is not". It just isn't that easy. Same thing with folks saying to not waste your money on scent free products and just hunt the wind. I could see the same deer come from four different places with the same wind in a weekend...hunting the wind helps sure if all the deer would come from in front of me....but just because you are upwind with the wind in your face of your feeder or trail doesn't mean there aren't ten deer behind me that aren't going to blow or snort if I am stinking up the place. Different strokes for different places/areas.

Comment

A ridge I scouted this afternoon running along side a creek bottom had White Oaks, Chinquapin Oaks, Red Oaks, Water Oaks, Willow Oaks, Overcup Oaks, and a few Post Oaks at the top. I can see how it would be hard to pick a specific tree in your situation.

Yea my example was more for illustration. I'm sure yall have your way of doing things to be successful in that scenario.

Comment

Originally posted by tanto View Post
                      Add another tbsp of vanilla
                      never heard this how do you add it? to your corn or under feeder

Comment

Lots of big acorns in Menard this past week. Sounds like a hail storm as they fall onto the campers. All our live oaks are full.

Comment

Originally posted by tanto View Post
                          Add another tbsp of vanilla
                          Add don't forget the pea gravel

Comment

Originally posted by DamonJ View Post
                            Where I hunt there are NO acorns.. I was just posting as to why the deer have left the corn.

Appreciate your tips.......
                            You said I hope you guys aren't dealing with this, just pointing out not everyone sees that as a problem, my response wasn't directed solely towards you. Congrats on having NO acorns

Comment

Originally posted by rbarnes View Post
                              never heard this how do you add it? to your corn or under feeder
                              Never heard of it and you've been a member for how long? lol something is only mentioned about vanilla on a daily basis

Comment

They never do when the acorns are falling.

Comment

Working...
                                X