When pulling an all day sit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bearintex View Post
    I shot a doe one day that came in from the left side while I was whizzing off the right. Didn't even zip up.

So you've shot a deer with your d*ck hanging out?! Awesome!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Bring TP just in case, never leave camp without it. Its not necessarily what you eat that day, but the night before.

Comment

Originally posted by SnJGuin View Post
        Bring TP just in case, never leave camp without it. Its not necessarily what you eat that day, but the night before.
        Sometimes it's that coffee on the way in!

Comment

I usually carry some snack sticks and a few protein bars. A few bottles of water and don't plan on holding your pee all day because you will probably fail, or dehydrate trying. If you are uncomfortable you are not likely to make it all day and if you do it will be miserable. Refill your empty water bottles, and take them with you, if you are concerned with urine scent.

Personally, I have seen little evidence that deer are afraid of urine, or even understand what species it came from. In fact I have noticed the exact opposite and watched does come up and lick the urine soaked leaves only minutes after reliving myself from above.

I make mock scrapes using urine provided by me, myself and I rather than buying a bottle at Walmart. And it works. You need to make yourself as comfortable as possible to sit all day and holding pee sucks.

As discussed on another thread a good 42 and spades app helps pass the time.

Comment

I read Under the Bleachers by Seymour Butts

Comment

2 dozen little debbies, pound of jerky, gallon of coffee, gallon of sweet tea, bottle of water, some chocolate bars, 7 magazines, two spare phone batteries and a solar charger, half gallon of milk, loaf of bread, some ham, an apple, half an orange, a blanket, pillow, sheet, wet wipes, bucket to sit on when pooping, chips and hot sauce, some kool aid mix for the small bottle of water.

Oh and a gun and a few bullets.

I never see anything on all day sits though so it doesn't help.

Comment

We sit all day pretty often in Kansas. I don’t bring anything to read because I don’t want to be distracted. A bottle or two of water an a small snack. And I’ve sat many a day, sun-up to sun down an never go to the bathroom until I get back to the truck. If I invest that many hours I’m going to do everything I can to increase my odds of shooting a buck by staying focused an not making unnecessary noise or movement.

Comment

Originally posted by SwampRanger View Post
                  2 dozen little debbies, pound of jerky, gallon of coffee, gallon of sweet tea, bottle of water, some chocolate bars, 7 magazines, two spare phone batteries and a solar charger, half gallon of milk, loaf of bread, some ham, an apple, half an orange, a blanket, pillow, sheet, wet wipes, bucket to sit on when pooping, chips and hot sauce, some kool aid mix for the small bottle of water.

Oh and a gun and a few bullets.

I never see anything on all day sits though so it doesn't help.
                  oh and toilet paper.

Comment

For an all day sit you have to think comfort and most what was mentioned is spot on.
                    The water spray bottle is a necessity especially in a popup blind, and you may not make it during the early afternoon if it's hot anyway.
                    If I plan to sit all day, I prefer my setup to be where I can see a lot of territory and longer distances than I would ever shoot, just because of the bore factor.
                    Nothing worse than staring at a feeder twenty yards out, and at a wall of brush. For me, it's just too hard to stay focused and awake, especially if I'm not seeing anything.
                    Seeing a deer, or several deer off in the distance, lets you know they are around and moving, so you are able to stay alert.
                    If you find yourself just not being able to sit, take along a hammock that you can string up between a couple of trees, and take a nap.
                    Usually the only time I'll do an all day sit is during the rut, and that usually means action all day, and no time to get bored.

Comment

deer jerky (to remind me why I'm there, after not seeing anything for 6 hours) loads of coffee, water, apples, and some kind of granola/trail mix with chocolate.

pee outta the tree...do the doo before you even set foot in the woods.

read - sure but it makes me fall asleep so not a good practice when up 15' in a tree.

Comment

I take water, large gatorade, jerky, and granola bars. I've also been listening to audio books or pod casts. I can keep my eyes up unstead of looking down reading.

Comment

Jerky and/or protein bars that won't melt. Sits heavy on my stomach so I'm not tempted to snack as often. Plenty of fluids and a pee bottle. I don't do enough all day sits...I think I'll change that habit this year.

Comment

Originally posted by RS3 View Post
                            I recently read Open Season by CJ Box. It's a quick read and right up an outdoorsmans alley.
                            I'm on book 8 of this series and they have all been good. Good reads while on the stand

Comment

I used to read a lot on stand but in the last few years I've switched to listening to books on tape or podcasts so I can keep my eyes where they need to be. I so seldom see a deer I don't want to miss it if one randomly stumbles by.

Comment

Water and a sandwich. Maybe some granola bars or jerky. Turn the phone on airplane mode so no one can bother me. I don't read in the stand. I like to observe and just day dream when I'm bored.

Comment

Working...
                                X