X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by shaft_slinger00 View Post
    I replace batteries when they die.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Me too, and it usually happens when I'm in the middle of nowhere.

Comment

I replace mine when they need to be replaced. Waste of money and resources to replace it before.

Comment

I just replaced mine on my 2013 F150. My remote start stopped working, which tipped me off that it was time. I got it in Jan 2013 and had right at 45K miles on it.

Comment

I've never had one last more than 5 years. Anyone use Optima ive never bought anything other than Interstate or Delco?

Comment

Take your truck to an auto parts store.

They can test your battery with a load tester (more thorough than just a voltage tester)

Make your decision from there.

I don't replace mine until they are beginning to fail. Typically I get at least 5 years out of any battery (I don't buy crummy batteries, but I don't waste my money on Optima either)

Comment

Originally posted by gonehuntin68 View Post
              If you drive basically every day, a battery will typically let you know right before it needs to be replaced by being sluggish to start the vehicle. .
              This is when I replace as well. I'd rather lose a few months of use from a dieing sluggish battery and not have to deal with the *** whipping that is getting somebody to get me to the store (wife or friend)to get a new one when it dies or coming to get me when stranded.

Comment

I use a battery tester and a hydrometer (to test specific gravity) to test all my batteries. I replace them when they start to get weak.

Charge the battery for about 24 hours, let it set for about three hours (to get rid of surface charge), check specific gravity, then load test.

I use an EZ-Red hydrometer and a load tester I bought from my local auto parts store. This will let you know when to change the battery, no guessing.

Comment

Auto parts stores will typically test them for free. If you're worried stop by one when you have a little time and ask them to check it. Takes a lot of guesswork out of it.

Comment

All batteries are not created equal. Most people don't replace with a 7 year battery, which is what comes on new vehicles. Unless you get a good 7 year battery, your old one my be as good as the one you replace it with.

Comment

Just make sure you have jumper cables or one of the jump boxes in the car. In Texas your lucky to get more than about 3-3.5 years of life out of your battery. I just swapped mine after and nearly made it 4 years on the factory one. The wife's lasted exactly 3, went with Interstate batteries best price was at Costco for us.

Comment

Working...
                      X