No announcement yet.

Family Inheritance Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mom's place, mom's rules. Not enough land to tussle over anyways.

Comment

I think the problem is people that "bank" on an inheritance for their retirement. I've told my folks time and time again to not leave my brother and I a dime, they've worked hard to earn their money so they need to go enjoy it. I remember before my great grandmother passed she would always say she didn't want to do or buy something because that wasn't "her money", it was my moms. My mom would try to explain the same thing to her.

You see people's true colors when money is involved, unfortunately it has torn too many families apart.

Comment

Originally posted by Rack Ranch View Post
        I would just sell him my one ac. that I stand to inherit and walk away. Whats one ac. to fuss over?

This is what I was thinking.

Skinny

Comment

Originally posted by 2014FusionM View Post
          This is how I see inherence, which I think separates me from these millennials stereotypes, "It was not mine to begin with, so if I receive nothing I will not be upset if I receive something then I will be thankful!"
          This!

Comment

My kids will know early on that I plan to spend my last dime as I take my last breath. Sayonara suckers!

Comment

Originally posted by Throwin' Darts View Post
              My kids will know early on that I plan to spend my last dime as I take my last breath. Sayonara suckers!
              HA- LMFAO- See you at Xmas - bring some of that dam elk and maybe porkchop and I will be nice to you... Aint the www great

Comment

Yep Mom's call. She can stipulate that anyone contests gets nothing. Problem solved about the other siblings. I hate to see land divided between siblings. We will have the same issue in my family with my dad's property. I have told him to pick 1 kid and give it all to him or her. I would hate to have to buy out any brother or sister who just wants the money. I have at least 3 siblings who have no interest in land and at my dad's passing would want me to buy them out!

There is also a beneficiary deed that when one dies the land goes straight to those listed and does not go thru probate.

Comment

1 acre not worth dividing a family.

Comment

after moms stroke dad sat us 5 siblings down and just went at it, you get this and you get that. Me and my two brothers split up the 3 ranches with each ranch having a really nice ranch house on it , then each of the two girls got almost brand new houses in town, and we split the mineral rights and bank accounts in 5 equal shares. Moral of the story is better to split things up when your parents are still alive. no bickering amongst us siblings dad said if we didn't like it he would then split it in among the 4 remaining siblings. that shut us up quickly.

Comment

Just the perspective from a 24 year old who has heard seen 1000s of acres lost to family inheritance squabbles. I would rather receive nothing and keep the place whole then have it split up. To hell with fair. You have to think of the heritage and history behind a place. Better for land to leave it all to one and keep the legacy going than split it as then it just turns into ranchettes and subdivisions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Just be greatful and hope the day never comes that you will actually inherit it.

Comment

Originally posted by Acameron52 View Post
                          I think the problem is people that "bank" on an inheritance for their retirement. I've told my folks time and time again to not leave my brother and I a dime, they've worked hard to earn their money so they need to go enjoy it. I remember before my great grandmother passed she would always say she didn't want to do or buy something because that wasn't "her money", it was my moms. My mom would try to explain the same thing to her.

You see people's true colors when money is involved, unfortunately it has torn too many families apart.
                          This reminds me of my old neighbors story..85 yrs old at the time.His son,and sorry *** wife bought 3 acres next to me..Said they were saving to build...When the old man turned 95 His punk *** kid,60yrs old said his 44yr old wife was tired of waiting to build her dream home..They figured he would'a been dead by then.He knew that was their plan the day they purchased the land,and told me so...I treated he,and his fake old lady like crap everytime I saw em..The old man gave 'em 400k..His son told him,"dad,I'm gonna get it anyway".
                          Didn't mean to sidetrack,but man it burns my *** when people squabble over what's not theirs.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Comment

My sister, brother, and I just settled an estate with no problem. Bring in an appraiser and value everything whether it be land, equipment, cars etc. Other than that have a public auction.

Comment

Whatever your Mother wants is what should happen but as has been said, make sure she has that in her will.

I know a guy whose sister was dying of cancer. She asked her parents if she could have her inheritance before she died so she could leave her husband in a good position money wise.

Her parents reminded her that they were still alive and hoped to be so for quite some time so she told them the reasoning for her thinking.

She could not stand the thought of her little brother inheriting 100% of a sizable estate and her not getting anything.

Some people are just greedy.

Good luck with this.

Comment

Originally posted by Sleepy View Post
                                Inheritance can break a family in a heartbeat. I wouldn't feel entitled to anything and if I receive anything, consider it a blessing.

Amen. Even if it was given to a 5th cousin - no one has the right to complain or comment on someone's will. Point is to respect the deceases wishes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                                X