No announcement yet.

Fall Food Plots...what you planting?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've tried just about everything in the past. Nothing now but bob oats for me.

Comment

My neighbors fields in Iowa. Corn, beans, alfalfa/clover. These fields were planted in early May.

We help him maintain his fences, let him cut hay off our place and he grazes some cattle on our place. He lets us hunt his ground.....pretty good trade.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Iowa Corn (Small).jpg
Views:	1
Size:	145.0 KB
ID:	24510053

Name:	Iowa bean field (Small).jpg
Views:	2
Size:	163.1 KB
ID:	24510054

Name:	Iowa field (Small).jpg
Views:	2
Size:	140.4 KB
ID:	24510055

Comment

Ordered the Fall Deer Mix from Turner seeds today. Plan to plant late September.

Comment

These are two of the best fall blends out there in my opinion. Some friends of mine are putting in 60 acres of the Rack'em & Rut'em at Junction right now. Bamert Seed has been around for a long time. They are great people and great to do business with.

Comment

Certified winter wheat
            Buck Forage Oats
            Elbon cereal rye
            Crimson clover
            Ladino clover
            Forage brassica aka rape seed
            Purple top turnips
            Chuffa
            Chicory

Various plot mixes from above based on soil and terrain ranging from 1/2 to 2 acres. All total about 15 acres.

Comment

Originally posted by BrandonA View Post
              We plant 10 acres. This year we are doing oats and turnips. In my opinion the most important factor is adding enough fertilizer. We fertilize 200lbs per acre.
              Originally posted by dbaio1 View Post
              Certified winter wheat
              Buck Forage Oats
              Elbon cereal rye
              Crimson clover
              Ladino clover
              Forage brassica aka rape seed
              Purple top turnips
              Chuffa
              Chicory

Various plot mixes from above based on soil and terrain ranging from 1/2 to 2 acres. All total about 15 acres.
              I love this combo..minus the turnips lol

Comment

What do you guys do about planting if there is no rain in forecast? And what about fertilizing? I need to fertilize the ground - but there hasn't been rain in a week or two and there is no rain in the 10 day forecast - but I need to get them in the ground before October hits us.. Any thoughts?

Comment

Originally posted by jondraper View Post
                  What do you guys do about planting if there is no rain in forecast? And what about fertilizing? I need to fertilize the ground - but there hasn't been rain in a week or two and there is no rain in the 10 day forecast - but I need to get them in the ground before October hits us.. Any thoughts?
                  My suggestion is wait for cooler weather and rain. You do NOT have to plant, you just want to then.

Wait unless you want to risk your plots being dried up or eaten by worms. I would rather wait and have it ready middle/end of October personally

Comment

I had a borrowed tractor available for 2 days, so planted my 3 acre plot last night w/ 500# of a 50/50 oats/wheat mix.

Then lightly disked the seed in, so it should be covered well. Soil is powder dry now.

Currently no rain in the 10 day forecast, so I am hoping the next rain will be a soaker associated with the next cold front.

My plot is really sandy soil in NW Parker County.

If it doesn't work, I will try and re-seed and drag with my 4wheeler in early October.

Comment

We won't plant until probably first of October. We fertilize and plant at the same time.

Comment

I've planted dry ground so many times I can't remember, just did yesterday and Saturday in fact. About to do it again this weekend. If you don't have enough moisture to germinate, the only risk is birds eating the seeds. If they're covered well enough, you're safe there. When you get a rain, it will come up. I didn't have the luxury of waiting on rain for most of my planting in the past, and I learned that planting in dry ground will still be successful. Good luck !

Comment

Thank you guys for all your replies..

I planted some Clover a few weeks back. A week or two after planting, I took a photo of the clover coming up everywhere (we had a really small and short rain) and then I went back the next week after a long, hot, and dry week - and they were all gone. Will the clover come back again after the next rain? Or did it die off because they didn't establish well enough?

Comment

Whats a good clover to mix with oats?

Comment

Originally posted by Drycreek3189 View Post
                              I've planted dry ground so many times I can't remember, just did yesterday and Saturday in fact. About to do it again this weekend. If you don't have enough moisture to germinate, the only risk is birds eating the seeds. If they're covered well enough, you're safe there. When you get a rain, it will come up. I didn't have the luxury of waiting on rain for most of my planting in the past, and I learned that planting in dry ground will still be successful. Good luck !

What about fertilizing when it's dry and no rain?

Comment

So I scrapped my idea to use my buddies seed for fear it would be too much rye and unsure if it's elbon rye. I'll go back to my original plan of buck forage oats, Austrian winter peas, elbon rye and a fall blend from MSB. I'll put down 125lbs of fertilizer per acre before we drag over the seed. After the initial growth I may go back over with more fertilizer from 50-100lbs depending on weather and growth conditions.

Comment

Working...
                                X