Tropical Storm Irma - now Hurricane Irma

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Comment

my dad lives on miami beach and has a flight out of there booked for Friday at 5:30pm - I'm worried he's cutting it too close and that flight will be cancelled - thoughts?

Comment

Originally posted by JBT View Post
        my dad lives on miami beach and has a flight out of there booked for Friday at 5:30pm - I'm worried he's cutting it too close and that flight will be cancelled - thoughts?
        I would think he would still be fine to get out weather wise, but it just depends on when the Airport decides it's going to close. I'd guess that they would probably close the airport mid-day Saturday or so based on current forecast. If possible to get an earlier flight, it would be the safe move but I can imagine that might be tough at this time.

Comment

But what about Katia?!

Comment

Originally posted by Buck Slayer View Post
            But what about Katia?!
            Recon going to investigate it today, but models bury it into Mexico. Probably the least interested I've been in a tropical system in the Bay of Campeche in quite some time.

Comment

I was on a Destroyer during Hurricane David in September of 1979. My first underway trip!!!! We had waves that were 45-55 feet. Our Destroyer's foc'sle (pointy end of ship) went under water all the way to the top of the 5/54 gun with 25 degree rolls. Talking about some sick folks. Of course I was on mess duty at the time. I never ever got sea sick after that first time underway.

Comment

Originally posted by ccbluewater View Post
                I would think he would still be fine to get out weather wise, but it just depends on when the Airport decides it's going to close. I'd guess that they would probably close the airport mid-day Saturday or so based on current forecast. If possible to get an earlier flight, it would be the safe move but I can imagine that might be tough at this time.
                Thanks for the reply, unfortunately his wife and mother in law are h*** bent on staying and he obviously won't leave them so they have cancelled their tickets they are going to ride it out and head to the hospital as a last resort Saturday morning if it's still looking like a direct hit

Comment

Thanks for the reply, unfortunately his wife and mother in law are h*** bent on staying and he obviously won't leave them so they have cancelled their tickets they are going to ride it out and head to the hospital as a last resort Saturday morning if it's still looking like a direct hit
                  Idiots. I'd do anything possible to change their mind, but it's probably impossible to get another flight at this point.

Comment

Oh my. Not sure why anyone would risk a direct hit from a CAT 4 or 5 hurricane.....unless they didn't have any other options. Sounds like they had options. Hope everything works out for your folks.

Comment

Man I just do not understand this mentality

Comment

From what I have been reading on another site, it sounds like maybe they had been watching local weather coverage that was starting to show the latest "spaghetti plots" this morning, and almost sounding an all clear for SE Florida. People started to return supplies/generators, etc. The 06z models had shifted east, but ALL of them have basically zeroed in right on Miami Sunday morning again in the 12z suite. At this point, if the NHC cone and plot is anywhere close to you, it is not good!

If things verify, BEST Case, you're without power and limited on supplies for weeks.. Worst case - Who knows. I hope they will reconsider, and can re-book travel out of there.

I personally still can't believe I have a cousin in St. Thomas right now. They are hunkered up in their hotel basement, and from watching some live streams I can see they are getting it from Irma right now.

Comment

To put this hurricane into perspective, it has winds equal to an F3 tornado (wind gusts are as high as an F4). However with tornadoes, even with the largest ones, you are looking at being a mile wide and are over in a minute or so. Imagine an F3 tornado parked over your house for a few hours. That is how strong this hurricane is.

Comment

Cat 4/5 Right up I-95. Worst case scenario, and puts a Miami, Ft Lauderdale, Palm Beach, etc in right front quadrant.

Comment

And who in the heck puts a nuclear power plant HERE?

Comment

I would have kissed my wife bye and headed for the airport. Prayers for your dad.

Comment

Working...
                                X