Tropical Storm Irma - now Hurricane Irma

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by stykshooter View Post
    That's good news, I'm positive we don't have power. I have steel shutters that can be opened & closed by an app... but unable to open. I do have a camera pointing out so once power is restored I'll open the shutters & be able to see outside..

I'll head back to SoBe when power is restored

I have a nephew who works for Boeing in Jacksonville they were getting hit hard this morning
    That sounds like a sweet setup!

I have wondered, why homes in hurricane prone areas don't have shutters as a normal feature. Seems logical and would save you having to rush out to buy a bunch of plywood you won't need later

Comment

Shutters have been around a long time -- back to ancient Greece, where marble shutters were used to protect against Mediterranean tropical storms. Shutters were used similarly in old plantation homes -- especially in coastal areas subject to storms.

In a bizarre turn, saw a story where one apartment complex in West Palm Beach was reported to have had storm shutters on hand for residents, HOWEVER, management locked the shutters away and said their corporate offices told them not to allow the use of shutters for this storm.

Comment

Originally posted by tradtiger View Post
        Shutters have been around a long time -- back to ancient Greece, where marble shutters were used to protect against Mediterranean tropical storms. Shutters were used similarly in old plantation homes -- especially in coastal areas subject to storms.

In a bizarre turn, saw a story where one apartment complex in West Palm Beach was reported to have had storm shutters on hand for residents, HOWEVER, management locked the shutters away and said their corporate offices told them not to allow the use of shutters for this storm.
        I know they aren't a new invention, was wondering why they are not as common.. probably not common for the same reason I live in tornado alley and do not have a basement or cellar

Comment

Not suggesting any lack of shutter knowledge on your part, Playa. Simply, throwing out a little background on the topic (as a former newspaper guy). By implication, I second your wonder at the lack of current usage, given their well-established historical value.

I know that when my parents built a home in Baton Rouge in about 1980, they insisted on having shutters that were operational. (Most were apparently merely decorative, due to added expense.)

Comment

Originally posted by Playa View Post
            That sounds like a sweet setup!

I have wondered, why homes in hurricane prone areas don't have shutters as a normal feature. Seems logical and would save you having to rush out to buy a bunch of plywood you won't need later
            My mom and dad have a home in Florida and it has hurricane shutters. I think they can add quite a bit to the cost of the home but not real sure. Their house came with them.
            Last edited by Kdog; 09-11-2017, 02:04 PM.

Comment

Working...
            X