No announcement yet.

Edwards/Real Counties Hunting Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Congrats on the rams! Those are both nice ones!

One of the hunters we had out counted 112 shots by 12:00 noon on Saturday morning. Sounded like WW3 out there.

Friday morning was 29* when I woke up, and felt every bit of it. I noticed on the drive home that the hill country looks like Fall now, what was green on Wednesday was brown on Sunday.

I shot a doe with my rifle on Sunday morning. Acorns are still loaded in a lot of trees and fall with a little shake of the limb; I also noticed a lot on the ground with boring holes in them however.

It sure has been dry out there the past 2 months though. Could use a week of slow and steady rain.

Comment

This is what those mineral licks start to look like, took this picture on Friday.

Also found an awesome perch that I had never climbed up to that overlooks an area we don’t hunt hard but is an oak-mott filled pasture. Built a shooting bench of sorts and can see a long ways.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Patton View Post
        Congrats on the rams! Those are both nice ones!

One of the hunters we had out counted 112 shots by 12:00 noon on Saturday morning. Sounded like WW3 out there.

Friday morning was 29* when I woke up, and felt every bit of it. I noticed on the drive home that the hill country looks like Fall now, what was green on Wednesday was brown on Sunday.

I shot a doe with my rifle on Sunday morning. Acorns are still loaded in a lot of trees and fall with a little shake of the limb; I also noticed a lot on the ground with boring holes in them however.

It sure has been dry out there the past 2 months though. Could use a week of slow and steady rain.
        You are right about how brown the pastures are. Our animals are hungry! Usually they don't touch alfalfa until late season but they are devouring it and every kernel of corn every feed. I just doubled the feed times on my corn feeders too keep the animals around longer.

That aoudad had been living in my area and coming to the feeder every morning and evening for the past few days before I shot him. Usually, they are more sporadic than that. He must have been really hungry. Another of our guys stayed to hunt until today and he missed a shot at an aoudad ram Sunday evening and saw a bunch of ewes too. I think the hunting is only going to get better and better as the season continues and the animals get hungrier and hungrier. Now I need a big axis to slip up!

Comment

Originally posted by Patton View Post
          Patton, I want to add a timed protein feeder to my setup to try and keep the exotics passing through as much as possible. I am thinking about the All seasons pro evo timed 2000lb model. I expect it to hold up to Aoudad better than the trough style. I am hoping to be able to fill it and have it last months between fills. I’d probably feed no more than 10-20 lbs a day. But I’m concerned about the pellets absorbing moisture and clogging if they sit that long.

Based on your posts, you seem to be doing something similar in a similar climate. What have your experiences been in this regard? How long does it sit in your feeders before completely cycling through? Does it ever clog? I plan to feed a mix from Speer ag of either corn/pellets or corn/pellets/soybean. Maybe the corn and beans will help it flow well over time.

Comment

Edwards/Real Counties Hunting Thread

I can't speak to the All Seasons feeders, but we haven't had any issues at all with protein clogging up. The newest protein stand we have added- the animals don't seem to hit as hard yet for one reason or another. I've seen the tubes totally filled up twice but no issues with clogging (yet). I could see a sideways rain really screwing things up maybe; and we have had some of that but again no problems yet.

We haven't been feeding protein for that long, but the difference is already noticeable in the # of animals that are hanging around.

One thing we have changed is added 'aoudad bars' because they will sit there and slam their heads on the tubes to knock down a few bits of protein. Had one tube totally break, and these are well put together feeders with heavy duty material.

That All Seasons Feeder looks like it would do a good job holding up against aoudad. We learned from the beginning that anything on legs is just an invitation to bend and break them. After walking up on 3-4 tripod feeders that were destroyed, we switched away from anything that wasn't ultra heavy duty.

Aoudad Bars supporting the feed tubes.

Might need to become a sponsor and start advertising free range aoudad hunts!
            Last edited by Patton; 11-07-2019, 11:49 AM.

Comment

Y’all have plenty of aoudad!

Comment

Killed my target buck yesterday afternoon
                377 and cr 440 western Edwards county

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Nice one!

Comment

Great buck, man. Congratulations!

Comment

Nice buck.

Comment

Hunted Saturday morning north of 41 at Hackberry Rd. Saw 9-10 does/fawns. No bucks.

They are eating the heck out of alfalfa, a bale doesn’t last a week.

Comment

It was busy this weekend. Polished off a bale per stand in 2 days.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Comment

Nice one Jones!

I took this weekend off from hunting, been at it just about every weekend/week since the start of September and needed a little break. Will probably head out sometime this week. Cold front coming tonight.

Comment

I am headed up to my lease this weekend. I am curious to see if the bucks are chasing the doe yet. Looks like the weather is going to be pretty nice also.

Comment

Originally posted by Fordnandez View Post
                                I am headed up to my lease this weekend. I am curious to see if the bucks are chasing the doe yet. Looks like the weather is going to be pretty nice also.
                                The young ones were chasing but the does wanted no part of it. My older bucks would give a half *** chase if a doe was close but that was about it.

Comment

Working...
                                X