No announcement yet.

Edwards/Real Counties Hunting Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Appreciate the information. I'm not sure where the Moody Ranch is. I am right next to The Navajo Ranch (5,000 acres) off off 2523 then left on CO 650 and all the way to the end. Any suggestions on hunt camp set up? It is rugged and nothing going on as far as cleared areas except for where I will put camp. I was going to put on 1-2 ASF feeders with cameras in a spot to have a blind near by. Was also going to toss around some protein and Alfalfa on a few old ranch trails and the dry creek (that is wet during season) that runs through the property.

Comment

Originally posted by Txhuntr2 View Post
      Sounds like you are not too far from me. We in Kinney Co not far from the river. Are you anywhere near the Moody ranch? Its GIANT and spans both counties.

As for the hunting, we have killed WT, axis, fallow, aoudad, and blackbuck. Sitka have been spotted and someone once got a glimpse of what could have been an elk or red stag etc. Our whitetail are average hill country deer but we have some really nice axis and aoudad. The other exotics are fewer and farther between but they're there.

The exotics really roam. You'll have resident WT that you might see in certain areas throughout the season. But the exotics will come and go. If you see one you like, shoot it bc you might never see it again. The axis are twice as wild as the WT and the Aoudad are wilder than that.

They all love protein and they really hit the alfalfa hard late season.
      All of the above is accurate. Shoot every Aoudad you see!!

Comment

Were just south in Concan. Our aoudads tend to stick around area(We've been trying to get a one horned ram for 3 years now), and we have a group of red deer that hang out in the area(between a few different properties, my neighbors and I share pics). The Axis, and Stikas are a hit or miss... We hardly ever see the same groups, and they tend to stick to the river side of our property.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by TXARMY View Post
          Appreciate the information. I'm not sure where the Moody Ranch is. I am right next to The Navajo Ranch (5,000 acres) off off 2523 then left on CO 650 and all the way to the end. Any suggestions on hunt camp set up? It is rugged and nothing going on as far as cleared areas except for where I will put camp. I was going to put on 1-2 ASF feeders with cameras in a spot to have a blind near by. Was also going to toss around some protein and Alfalfa on a few old ranch trails and the dry creek (that is wet during season) that runs through the property.
          We're looking at a place off of 650 to buy. Let me know what you end up seeing.

Comment

Great thread. Think if I were ever to buy a hunting property in Texas it would be somewhere in this general vicinity. Love the variety of all the exotics.

Comment

Nice pics hef, that one horned ram is pretty cool. I went out this past weekend with some buddies and of course it was extra warm weather. Glassed up two young bull elk, they should be shedding their horns any day, and was able to shoot 3 pigs. Don't know how to upload the videos directly to TBH so below are the instagram links (don't need an account to view).

Double Kill

270 yard Kill

Comment

Nice job Patton.

Curious what Auodad like besides corn/protein? I have been putting out some Trophy Rocks and they seem to like those.
                Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Kdog View Post
                  Nice job Patton.

Curious what Auodad like besides corn/protein? I have been putting out some Trophy Rocks and they seem to like those.
                  Yup. Mine like the trace mineral blocks also. You can buy a 50lb rock at the feed store for cheaper than the Trophy Rock.

Comment

Headed out to the lease this weekend. Looks like the weather is going to be awesome.

Hopefully the deer have started hitting my protein feeders.

Comment

Originally posted by Fordnandez View Post
                      Headed out to the lease this weekend. Looks like the weather is going to be awesome.

Hopefully the deer have started hitting my protein feeders.
                      Not awesome for turkey hunting if you hearing gobbling birds, but it may be productive for pigs and axis.

Comment

Had a really good trip this weekend. The wind was brutal though. Deer have started hitting the protien and cotton seed hard. Spent the majority of the trip getting cameras up and running and installing new spinners on some of the feeders that we have had issues with.

It was pretty cold there this morning for late March.

Comment

Looks like the counties got a little rain from yesterday. When I was at my lease a few weekends back it was very green and we even had a few blue bonnets. Hope this steady rain continues.

I am going up next weekend. Hope the deer continued to hit the protein and cotton seed hard.

Comment

Ready to get back out there. I got a nice Axis during spring break that was in velvet.

Comment

We got a 1/4" early Saturday morning near Carta Valley. It's really green out that way.
                              Not much protein consumption the last month or so. Pigs everywhere..

Comment

Originally posted by chrigging View Post
                                We got a 1/4" early Saturday morning near Carta Valley. It's really green out that way.
                                Not much protein consumption the last month or so. Pigs everywhere..
                                We have been seeing a bunch of pigs as well. Deer have been hammering the protein which we are excited about. They have taken to the cotton seed pretty hard also. Last year they were slow to get to it but this year they are all over it. Country Boys has 40 LB sacks for $10 and Priour Varga has 50 LB sacks for $12 in Rocksprings for cotton seed. It is about the same price as protein but it doesn't go bad when it gets wet and the hogs don't seem to eat it. I wish it was a little cheaper than protein since cotton seed doesn't have as many nutrients but it is what it is.

Comment

Working...
                                X