No announcement yet.

2017-2018 East Texas Hunting Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looks like it going to be warm for the gun opener next weekend, my weather app is showing high 70's - low 80's. I was hoping it would be cool so I didn't sweat like crazy but I'll just be happy to be in the woods

Comment

Originally posted by Etxbuckman View Post
      I ran one off my feeder today at 11:30 when I went to top it off.

My cameras have indicated better deer movement at times when it's downright hot outside. It just makes no sense. Maybe it was too dadgum cold for these TX deer this weekend?
      Deer moved all day Saturday and Sunday........but didn't start until 9:30.

Comment

Originally posted by Quackerbox View Post
        Yeah but I'm getting greedy. I wish I knew if the neighbors were on the same page.

I posted his pics last year. His body made some improvements this year for sure. Light on mass but stretching 17 wide and nearly that tall. He's impressive in the early light

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
        Stay strong! Doesn't matter what the neighbors will or won't do, you're the one who will regret killing him.

Comment

Originally posted by EastTexan View Post
          Deer moved all day Saturday and Sunday........but didn't start until 9:30.
          Well as bright as the moon is/was that made sense. I'm sure they moved all night.

Comment

Originally posted by Etxbuckman View Post
            Well as bright as the moon is/was that made sense. I'm sure they moved all night.
            It was cold!!! 31 Sat and 28 Sun. Jack Frost everywhere. The deer layed up until the sun warmed 'em.

Comment

Hunted a stand of white oaks in thick cover and saw 22 deer in 3 sits this weekend. Daylight-11:00 and 2:00-dark on Saturday, and daylight-1:00 today. Hardly an hour went by without seeing at least one deer. The 7 other guys on the lease hunting feeders saw few if any deer all weekend. I LOVE a great acorn crop!!

Comment

Great Job to all the youth this weekend! I know there are some happy poppa's out there! I had a great hunt Saturday morning in Anderson Co. Saw lots of deer just not one of the target deer. They were chasing and running all over the place though!

Comment

We had decent movement during all 3 sits. Dad's been eyeballing a buck who would have been great. Mature, chocolate horns,one drop and a split kicker. That's on the side that's not broke off at the brow!! He's been broke since end of Sept.

Comment

Originally posted by EastTexan View Post
                    It was cold!!! 31 Sat and 28 Sun. Jack Frost everywhere. The deer layed up until the sun warmed 'em.
                    This I believe. May have been too cold for them to be up early. From what I've observed, they don't move as early when it's cold, and will move to feed late morning and early afternoon. Of course, I thinkthey feed every few hours when it's cold, so maybejust a coincidence.

Comment

Going out this evening for one of these fellas. Must stick one before the neighbors start blasting cannons. Which will score better?

Last edited by dataxman; 10-30-2017, 08:46 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by GarGuy View Post
                        vid smoke a huge bodied 8 with a little kicker. Hes a seven yr old stud that has never amounted to a lot score wise. Happy kid
                        Awesome and congrats...in for the pic

Comment

Originally posted by Quackerbox View Post
                          Well the deer i named Copenhagen due to the knot on his jaw is no more. I saw him this morning and couldn't make him 13. Must need contacts cause he's 15 1/2. My boy put the 6mm on him this afternoon on his first solo rifle hunt. Deer went 30 feet. Guess my little hunting buddy is officially grown up

Congratulations!! I bet you are one proud papa right now, and he was surely a story tellin' fool at school this morning.

Comment

Only action I saw this weekend involved my 2 boys plus 70+ other cub scouts at Huntsville State Park. It was worth it. I'll be back in the stand Wednesday afternoon to get some bow time in before the guns come out on Saturday.

Comment

Originally posted by dacento View Post
                              This I believe. May have been too cold for them to be up early. From what I've observed, they don't move as early when it's cold, and will move to feed late morning and early afternoon. Of course, I thinkthey feed every few hours when it's cold, so maybejust a coincidence.

Agree

Comment

Originally posted by dataxman View Post
                                Going out this evening for one of these fellas. Must stick one before the neighbors start blasting cannons. Which will score better?

Heck with the score.

DOUBLE THROAT PATCH!!

Comment

Working...
                                X