No announcement yet.

2017-2018 East Texas Hunting Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well the deer have recently started hitting my hand corn in the daylight. Right now I’m not sold on the idea of slipping in before daylight because they’re also there between 6 - 6:30 AM. That’s ok because I had a definite shooter at my feeder Friday and Saturday morning. I’m hunting a different stand this afternoon but will be there well before daylight in the morning. It looks like the bucks are cruising some, but they’re also still in small bachelor groups.

Comment

This is my third year hunting with a bow, and I have to admit, I was starting to wonder if I'd make through yet another October without success.

Yesterday morning, I figured it was time to start spreading the estrous around. So, I broke out the VS-1 and started marking up the trees and stumps. Then, at about 2am this morning, I got a picture of a deer that I'd never seen before. I had him on a mission.

I climbed into my tree stand, broke out my new Extinguisher call, and started with the estrous bleats about every 30 minutes. Ten minutes after one of my attempts, I hear steps coming from my back left. I turned to look, thinking it was another darn squirrel, and the buck fever went full throttle. As soon as he had his back to me, I grabbed the bow from the hanger, and remembered I'd been having problems with this stand creaking when I stand up. So, I stayed seated, waited for him to turn, then drew back. My heart was beating so fast, I couldn't keep the bow from shaking! Breathe...breathe...squeeze... Aimed for the sweet spot, and then hit him in the neck. He dropped, so I'll take it! I nocked another arrow to put one in his chest, and put it in the dirt. Calm down...nocked another, put it right through the sternum, and then I did a little dance 22 feet up.

What an awesome experience. I've been rifle hunting since I was a kid, but this has to be the most exciting out of all of them.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
      Last edited by MedikDave; 10-15-2017, 03:59 PM.

Comment

Congrats

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by MedikDave View Post
          This is my third year hunting with a bow, and I have to admit, I was starting to wonder if I'd make through yet another October without success.

Yesterday morning, I figured it was time to start spreading the estrous around. So, I broke out to VS-1 and started marking up the trees and stumps. Then, at about 2am this morning, I got a picture of a deer that I'd never seen before. I had him on a mission.

I climbed into my tree stand, broke out my new Extinguisher call, and started with the estrous bleats about every 30 minutes. Ten minutes after one of my attempts, I hear steps coming from my back left. I turned to look, thinking it was another darn squirrel, and the buck fever went full throttle. As soon as he had his back to me, I grabbed the bow from the hanger, and remembered I'd been having problems with this stand creaking when I stand up. So, I stayed seated, waited for him to turn, then drew back. My heart was beating so fast, I couldn't keep the bow from shaking! Breathe...breathe...squeeze... Aimed for the sweet spot, and then hit him in the neck. He dropped, so I'll take it! I nocked another arrow to out one in his chest, and put it in the dirt. Calm down...nocked another, put it right through the sternum, and then I did a little dance 22 feet up.

What an awesome experience. I've been rifle hunting since I was a kid, but this has to be the most exciting out of all of them.

Cool story congrats!

Comment

Awesome!! Congrats on the buck!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Congrats!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

Can’t say I’ve never arrowed one through the jugular. Hey whatever works. Congrats!

Comment

Congrats!

Comment

Man that is great. Still wanting for mine!

Comment

Getting to be that tie of the year. Man is that front going to feel good tomorrow morning!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Hey MedicDave, congratulations on a fine buck! Love the color of those antlers!

I got up Saturday morning, but it sure was hot... I went anyway... Since it was so calm, I just waited until my feeders went off and put a stalk on the first one... Dang thing didn't go off... I somehow knocked a lead off the battery when I checked it last weekend
                        On to #2... Same thing, nada... Motor was fried on this one... It went under during the flood, but seemed to work OK when I got it going again... 0 for 2 and on to #3... nothing there, but the corn had already been cleaned up. I likely spooked whatever was there... Got to #4 and found hogs bedded down UNDER the feeder!! When I got to within about 25 yards, I raised my bow and picked out the biggest one that I believed to be a good sow... then... I started to think about how hot it was, and how nasty it was going to be tracking that sucker through all the briers and mud that she'd likely run off into... well, I lowered my bow and started the video camera and shot 'em all with it instead... Got to within 15 yards of 'em before they woke up... They cleared a little brush getting out of there... I coulda but didn't... I was "deer" hunting Could not get myself psyched up to shoot a hog... maybe when it cools of a bit.

Comment

I saw the pic of a 162 recently killed near Moscow by a bowhunter. It was entered in Burris farm and feed’s big buck contest in Corrigan.

Comment

Originally posted by MedikDave View Post

Yesterday morning, I figured it was time to start spreading the estrous around. So, I broke out the VS-1 and started marking up the trees and stumps. Then, at about 2am this morning, I got a picture of a deer that I'd never seen before. I had him on a mission.

I climbed into my tree stand, broke out my new Extinguisher call, and started with the estrous bleats about every 30 minutes. Ten minutes after one of my attempts, I hear steps coming from my back left. I turned to look, thinking it was another darn squirrel, and the buck fever went full throttle. As soon as he had his back to me, I grabbed the bow from the hanger, and remembered I'd been having problems with this stand creaking when I stand up. So, I stayed seated, waited for him to turn, then drew back. My heart was beating so fast, I couldn't keep the bow from shaking! Breathe...breathe...squeeze... Aimed for the sweet spot, and then hit him in the neck. He dropped, so I'll take it! I nocked another arrow to put one in his chest, and put it in the dirt. Calm down...nocked another, put it right through the sternum, and then I did a little dance 22 feet up.

Congrats buddy! Nice buck

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Quackerbox View Post
                              I'd say the front has arrived. It's cooler leaving at noon than it was when I went to the stand. Wish it would have had got here a day earlier

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
                              2 days earlier would have been nice. It was downright miserable yesterday evening

Comment

Originally posted by TxDispatcher View Post
                                2 days earlier would have been nice. It was downright miserable yesterday evening
                                No kidding. I wanted to hunt a tree but opted for t shirt and shorts in a ground blind for the evening.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                                X