2017-2018 East Texas Hunting Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Johnny View Post
    Where about in Montgomery County? I hunt in between Montgomery and Conroe.

Fairly uneventful for me this morning. Hanging feeder didn't go off so when cows moved in on me a bit ago, I got out to run them off and checked feeder. It was clogged up. [emoji848] I got it back up n running and just kicking back in the stand enjoying the morning.

The rest of today and tomorrow it's gonna get down right warm so going to lay off hunting till the front comes thru Monday night...get back after it Tuesday morning. Still waiting on our first real good fall front of the season.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

I’m between porter and Conroe off 1314

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Pineywoodkiller View Post
      I’m between porter and Conroe off 1314

That's right, I think we talked about that before. Good luck to ya!

Comment

I've been waiting for a front but couldn't stand it any longer, gotta get in the woods even if it is 90 in the shade! Heading North!

Comment

Originally posted by AgHntr10 View Post
          I've been waiting for a front but couldn't stand it any longer, gotta get in the woods even if it is 90 in the shade! Heading North!
          Yeah I was gonna go this afternoon but just can't get motivated with this heat. Kinda wishing I had now though.

Comment

Originally posted by Quackerbox View Post
            Dad always said never judge them from the rear. He looked like a much better deer in the pic from the tree.

Gonna be a long tined sucker in a year or two. Already working on mass and good symmetrical rack

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
            That front pic doesnt show his width nor how far forward his beams sweep because of how they wrap in. Gonna be a whopper down the road. hes 16 inside now.

Comment

Originally posted by GarGuy View Post
              That front pic doesnt show his width nor how far forward his beams sweep because of how they wrap in. Gonna be a whopper down the road. hes 16 inside now.
              Our deer have that wrapping in at the front gene also. Looking at 5 deer on the wall now and they all got it. The biggest one had 23 and 24 inch beams but I bet his tips aren't 9"apart

Comment

Originally posted by Quackerbox View Post
                Our deer have that wrapping in at the front gene also. Looking at 5 deer on the wall now and they all got it. The biggest one had 23 and 24 inch beams but I bet his tips aren't 9"apart

Yep. Ol Cripple Horn(153 in 8pt) had 25 inch beams on a 17 spread and the tips are 4 inches apart. he looks narrow from the front every time.

Comment

Originally posted by Johnny View Post
                  That's right, I think we talked about that before. Good luck to ya!

Yes sir. You too. Remember I have a couple pups if you need a track job.

Comment

Man I'd love to be out there Tuesday morning and evening, high of 79 where I'm at. Good luck to you guys who can make it out, should be nice

Comment

I suck at hunting. WSW wind should have been good for the spot I hunted yesterday but got winded by a group of does at about 6:15. They still kept trying to come to the corn pile for over 30 minutes but knew something was off.

Of course the buck I am after was all over my corn pile at 8:15 Saturday morning while I was in bed......

Comment

I suck at hunting. WSW wind should have been good for the spot I hunted yesterday but got winded by a group of does at about 6:15. They still kept trying to come to the corn pile for over 30 minutes but knew something was off.

The Culprits
                        [ATTACH]876502[/ATTACH]

Of course the buck I am after was all over my corn pile at 8:15 Saturday morning while I was in bed......

The target
                        [ATTACH]876500[/ATTACH]
                        [ATTACH]876501[/ATTACH]
                        pics added
                        Attached Files

Comment

Yea same thing happened to me at 530. They tried twice and finally wasn't having it. Not sure what was going on with that.

Comment

I was lazy the first part of the weekend and only made it out last night. Sweated my butt off until about 6. At 6:15 a sounder showed up at my feeder... My feeder is positioned about 100 to my NE. I hunt a little opening and hand corn.

Hogs went to my feeder about 6:15 and something spooked them so they ran back to the W and circled in on me. I could see them coming straight in from about 75-100 yards out. Drew back while they were behind a few trees and brush and the piggies made it to about 20 before momma grunted and everyone stopped. She was the one I was wanting and gave me a good broadside shot at 40.

Let her fly and I thought the shot looked decent. I thought I hit dead center but maybe a bit back in he liver area but still good.

I get down and inspect the arrow... Not a good sign. Just hair and some fat tissue. I'm thinking I may have just clipped her as she did start to move once it was in the air. No recovery and not even a sign of blood anywhere. I would have bet some decent money I made a kill shot before inspecting the arrow.

How long till y'all think the hogs come back? This was the first time they've been shot at from this spot and they didn't look real spooked after the fact but trotted off. I hate to say it, but I kind of want them to come back in. That would have been my first bow hog and first animal I hit with a bow but didn't recover. Now I'm bummed about it and will be shooting all week long.

Another question, what nocks do y'all run? I've been using the nockturnals but I'm not having good luck.. Seems like a one time use for me as I never can get the things to shut off and the battery dies down.

Comment

Originally posted by Ryan81 View Post
                              I was lazy the first part of the weekend and only made it out last night. Sweated my butt off until about 6. At 6:15 a sounder showed up at my feeder... My feeder is positioned about 100 to my NE. I hunt a little opening and hand corn.

Hogs went to my feeder about 6:15 and something spooked them so they ran back to the W and circled in on me. I could see them coming straight in from about 75-100 yards out. Drew back while they were behind a few trees and brush and the piggies made it to about 20 before momma grunted and everyone stopped. She was the one I was wanting and gave me a good broadside shot at 40.

Let her fly and I thought the shot looked decent. I thought I hit dead center but maybe a bit back in he liver area but still good.

I get down and inspect the arrow... Not a good sign. Just hair and some fat tissue. I'm thinking I may have just clipped her as she did start to move once it was in the air. No recovery and not even a sign of blood anywhere. I would have bet some decent money I made a kill shot before inspecting the arrow.

How long till y'all think the hogs come back? This was the first time they've been shot at from this spot and they didn't look real spooked after the fact but trotted off. I hate to say it, but I kind of want them to come back in. That would have been my first bow hog and first animal I hit with a bow but didn't recover. Now I'm bummed about it and will be shooting all week long.

Another question, what nocks do y'all run? I've been using the nockturnals but I'm not having good luck.. Seems like a one time use for me as I never can get the things to shut off and the battery dies down.

c
                              I bet you made a killing shot. A fat hog will ocationally wipe the arrow clean in the fat layer on the exit side. i have had perfect shots on hogs and the arrow just have a white coating on it.

Comment

Im headed in tomorrow morning for a big eight. wind should be perfect just before dawn with the front rolling through. Two big target eights but i have three other post mature deer coming to the stand so first fully mature deer dies.

Comment

Working...
                                X