2017-2018 East Texas Hunting Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by EastTexan View Post
    Oh believe me...I know the muley G2 gene is in this area!

I know ya'll all think I'm crazy. If I was looking at somebody else's pics, I'd agree with every one of you. Don't look at the horns in this picture...just look at the deer's face. I'm telling ya'll...it's him.
    I had your deer at 150. I had Joogers deer at 162.. They now appear to be the same deer. Im going with 160 inches of buck!

Comment

Im going out on a limb here with a prediction. i may post it on my Pressured deer thread as well.

Prediction..... One of my mature bucks will meet an arrow between now and noon on saturday.

Comment

I know ya'll all think I'm crazy. If I was looking at somebody else's pics, I'd agree with every one of you. Don't look at the horns in this picture...just look at the deer's face. I'm telling ya'll...it's him.
        Yep, this clears it up, you're crazy for sure.

Comment

Originally posted by GarGuy View Post
          I had your deer at 150. I had Joogers deer at 162.. They now appear to be the same deer. Im going with 160 inches of buck!
          I posted him in another thread for score. Couldn't believe all of the "140-142", "143", "mid 140s", "NO WAY he goes 150".....lol...I have NO IDEA what those people are looking at?!?! This deer could break a G2 and still go 140.

Comment

Originally posted by sweldo73 View Post
            Yep, this clears it up, you're crazy for sure.

Comment

I posted him in another thread for score. Couldn't believe all of the "140-142", "143", "mid 140s", "NO WAY he goes 150".....lol...I have NO IDEA what those people are looking at?!?! This deer could break a G2 and still go 140.
              You cant hold it against them. Most folks are used to seeing central tx deer and dont realize the size difference. On another note, I realize i suck at scoring other folks deer from pics as well.

Comment

Lol you gave him 26.5" beams to get 160. They look long but the side profile shows they curl really quick and don't extend to the nose. I think his frame isn't quite where you are thinking with the average mass. I'll be surprised if his beams go even 23". Hope I'm wrong though. Won't be the first time. Post up more pics if you get them. I agree he looks bigger in the daylight but stretching him to the max I still only get 150

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Post up what you think his measurements will be. We can have a little scoring party when he gets shot.

Comment

Originally posted by Tshelly View Post
                    Lol you gave him 26.5" beams to get 160. They look long but the side profile shows they curl really quick and don't extend to the nose. I think his frame isn't quite where you are thinking with the average mass. I'll be surprised if his beams go even 23". Hope I'm wrong though. Won't be the first time. Post up more pics if you get them. I agree he looks bigger in the daylight but stretching him to the max I still only get 150

Thats right where i was from Etx pics. I had seen other pics of the deer before and had him in the 60s. now I find out its the same deer. hmmmmmm

Comment

Originally posted by Tshelly View Post

I agree that I might be a little long on the beams. I originally had them shorter, but I've got a 153 that he DWARFS when you place them side-by-side. That buck had 23s. Granted, the 153 had beams that came out over his nose, but they didn't turn in-and-up. I adjusted the beams up when I adjusted the mass down (I had the OMG he's just an 8 point moment), so I'm not exactly objective. I think he's scares 160 even if he doesn't quite make it.

Curl puts so much more on the tape. That's where I think most people miss it.

Comment

Do you have a side pic of last year's dear? It looks like his main beams go way forward while this years deer already bends end right after the g2. Without putting pen to paper, I would think last years deer was bigger. Either way, someone needs to lay that joker out so we have some LDPs.

Comment

Originally posted by Smokey911 View Post
                          Took this main frame 10 with kickers on Sunday evening between Barnes and Chester in Polk County. Just got back from taxidermist and he rough scores 161", 3 1/2 year old and has 16 scoreable points. Shot him at six yards. This deer was smelling rutty and hocks were getting dark. Deer are really healthy this year. GarGuy, thanks for your advice in the past!
                          I totally missed this post yesterday. What a fine deer. Its great to know i helped.. Last year i had at least five folks PM and thank me for helping them take their best deer. Sometimes i think im wasting my time sharing.

Now on age... I have a hard time calling that deer three. Jaw aging on east tx deer is proven to underestimate age.

Comment

I agree that I might be a little long on the beams. I originally had them shorter, but I've got a 153 that he DWARFS when you place them side-by-side. That buck had 23s. Granted, the 153 had beams that came out over his nose, but they didn't turn in-and-up. I adjusted the beams up when I adjusted the mass down (I had the OMG he's just an 8 point moment), so I'm not exactly objective. I think he's scares 160 even if he doesn't quite make it.

10-4 I'm not knocking him. He is a beautiful deer, just in reference to him getting 160 and the beams and overall frame was just shorter than he looks in my opinion. I tend to lean with you because you have seen so many pictures of him and should have the right feel for how big his body is. You probably suffer from what most of do when hunting a big deer... and tend to think about they are bigger when YOU have a chance at killing him lol. I too am hunting a deer with a lot of history. I generally average him about 5" bigger than my buddies when scoring him out

Comment

Post up your 153"er. Officially scored?? Same area? Not trying to call you out or anything. Just trying to see what you are seeing. I do agree that those tines with curve and beams with curve add inches that aren't readily seen. It looks like last years buck has more mass and tine length though. Better get on him before Jooger!

Comment

This is what I Use to judge his beams and spread. The comparison photo isn't great, but it's an 18 3/4" wide buck that had 23" beams and scored 153. The live buck doesn't come out as far before he makes the sweep, but he still looks quite a bit longer.
                                Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                                X