No announcement yet.

2017-2018 East Texas Hunting Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Save the bottom jaw and send a front tooth here.

Preparing and shipping deer teeth. Call (512) 756-1989 for Forensic Cementum Annuli Deer Aging. Wildlife Analytical Labs gets it right.

I posted this for other people as well. 2 years ago we sent 10 deer in. The oldest was a doe at 13.5 and the oldest buck was 10.5, my wife shot a 9 point that teeth wear showed 3.5 and came back 4.5 from the lab. Another 2 bucks showed 4.5 tooth wear and came back 5.5... the teeth wear vs the lab work was 50% success rate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Tshelly View Post
      Save the bottom jaw and send a front tooth here.

Preparing and shipping deer teeth. Call (512) 756-1989 for Forensic Cementum Annuli Deer Aging. Wildlife Analytical Labs gets it right.

I posted this for other people as well. 2 years ago we sent 10 deer in. The oldest was a doe at 13.5 and the oldest buck was 10.5, my wife shot a 9 point that teeth wear showed 3.5 and came back 4.5 from the lab. Another 2 bucks showed 4.5 tooth wear and came back 5.5... the teeth wear vs the lab work was 50% success rate.

I wish I would have talked to you a little sooner, but taxidermist caped him with me there yesterday and threw the jaws in the trash.

Comment

Originally posted by Smokey911 View Post
        I wish I would have talked to you a little sooner, but taxidermist caped him with me there yesterday and threw the jaws in the trash.

10-4 now everyone knows for their next deer! Congrats on a great deer by the way!!!

Comment

You should get him scored TBGA, he will be way up in the region for a bow kill and honestly that was the coolest banquets I've ever been too. So many big deer from east Texas at last years banquet up in lufkin. I can point you in the direction of a few scorers is need be

Comment

Originally posted by U.S.ArmyRetired View Post
            AWESOME Buck. What advice did GarGuy give you? Because I want some of the same advice.
            Hunt early and late in the season, on the edge of a thicket. I reset my three stands early this last Spring, just on the edge of the thickets and creeks. I also put cameras out and scouted after last season to see what would show up. The deer at my place don't have to move much. They have all they need without having to get in the open.

Comment

Let 160???

I had to stare at this picture for over an hour before I would believe this is my avatar buck. He was late to show-up this year, put on about 4" in width, and got freaky.

Let 'Em Walk!!!

160???
              Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by EastTexan View Post
                I had to stare at this picture for over an hour before I would believe this is my avatar buck. He was late to show-up this year, put on about 4" in width, and got freaky.

Let 'Em Walk!!!

160???
                I'm not saying your wrong, you know your deer better than me. But I don't see anything that makes me think that is the same deer.

Comment

Let 'Em Walk

I have been obsessed with this deer for a few years now. I took a LOT of grief for letting this deer walk last year. I think he was real close to 150. I wanted to put my dad on him in gun season so bad. (Coincidentally, Dad chewed me out all year for not shooting) I watched him at 20 yards with the wind in my face.

The buck always disappears in November, and last year was no different. What was different was that he didn't show again at the end of season, and he was late to get here this year. I checked all the pictures from the BGA thinking somebody might have killed him....nothing.

He is back, and after PATIENTLY watching him, protecting him, and letting him grow......IT'S ON!!!! I am excited to hunt this deer with the green light brightly lit. =)

The pictures below are the age progression through last year. The post above shows how he "freaked" after reaching physical maturity and putting all of the nutrients (in a really good year) into antler growth.
                  Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by AgHntr10 View Post
                    I'm not saying your wrong, you know your deer better than me. But I don't see anything that makes me think that is the same deer.
                    Dorsal stripe on his face is prominent in pics of this deer....and I've got HUNDREDS of pics of this deer. Additionally, right eyeguard is typically a little longer, expected BOTH G2s to be forked this year, and he is finally mature at 6 1/2 (possibly 7 1/2) with no protein supplements.

I can understand you disagreeing. I didn't believe it, either....until I kept staring at pictures of his posture from other years. I'm hoping more current pictures will solidify the case. If it's him, he'll be a regular for another 3 weeks or so.

Comment

Acorns

What kind of oaks are folks seeing with a large acorn crop this year? I'm having trouble finding them in my spots in Angelina county.

Comment

you never know with deer, I had a buck on camera few years ago that I killed and a week or so later I had his ghost show up on camera. I mean must have been his twin brother exactly the same look.
                        That looks like different but very closely related deer to me ,which would be a good thing then you might have two bruisers on the place ,LOL !

Comment

Originally posted by AgHntr10 View Post
                          x2. brows and main beams are different. usually those are similar from one year to the next.

Comment

Let 'Em Walk!!!

160???
                            I don't think it's the same deer. I've had this deer on camera the previous two seasons, and all year long. This is one of the only deer at my place that doesn't leave for the whole season. I let him walk three times last year. He also has a double throat patch. He has to dry out for a month, but the taxidermist I use is an Official SCI Scorer. He taped right at 161" yesterday. I did not think he would score that high. I currently have a 136", 141", 150", and 174" on the wall from the panhandle. I was comparing the racks, and he is up there.

Comment

Dorsal stripe on his face is prominent in pics of this deer....and I've got HUNDREDS of pics of this deer. Additionally, right eyeguard is typically a little longer, expected BOTH G2s to be forked this year, and he is finally mature at 6 1/2 (possibly 7 1/2) with no protein supplements.

I can understand you disagreeing. I didn't believe it, either....until I kept staring at pictures of his posture from other years. I'm hoping more current pictures will solidify the case. If it's him, he'll be a regular for another 3 weeks or so.
                              I gotcha, I have a hard time with nighttime blk/white pictures. Daylight pics really help me tracking deer from year to year from markings like you mention. For your benefit I hope it isn't him and you have two giants walking around this year!

Originally posted by JeffK View Post
                              x2. brows and main beams are different. usually those are similar from one year to the next.
                              That's exactly what's throwing me off. Location of the brows and main beams look off to me.

Comment

Originally posted by Smokey911 View Post
                                I don't think it's the same deer. I've had this deer on camera the previous two seasons, and all year long. This is one of the only deer at my place that doesn't leave for the whole season. I let him walk three times last year. He also has a double throat patch. He has to dry out for a month, but the taxidermist I use is an Official SCI Scorer. He taped right at 161" yesterday. I did not think he would score that high. I currently have a 136", 141", 150", and 174" on the wall from the panhandle. I was comparing the racks, and he is up there.
                                I don't think he was questioning your deer. He had a PDF attachment in his post of a deer on his place that he believes is the deer from his avatar pic.

Comment

Working...
                                X