2017-2018 East Texas Hunting Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by tex21 View Post
    the top 2 are for sure on the list and the 3rd one is on the bubble.
    holy sheet!
    Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by AgHntr10 View Post
      holy sheet!
      Haha this is on our family land.

Comment

Originally posted by sqiggy View Post
        Well, I just got back from our place in Panola County. We got HIT BAD!!! Had one heck of a storm come thru over a month or so ago. Knocked over trees that 2 grown men with their arms wrapped around the trunk and not be able to touch each other are on the ground. Lost 3 feeders and 2 stands and out of 15 stands, only can access 5 of them. After 3 days of chainsaw'ing, can get to all but 3 now. It will take YEARS for this bottom to get back to what it was. Been hunting this place for almost 30 years and never seen anything like this.
        Same thing happened to our 40 acres last Spring in Harrison County. Hardwood bottom looked like an atomic bomb leveled it. And right before hunting season the pipeline crew was in there cleaning the pipeline and another guy was in there hauling out as much hardwood as he could get. Didn't see any deer.

It is very heavily hunted pressure all around our 40 acres. What I decided to do was let it all grow up into a thicket except I do mow the fence rows and some right of ways and I am running 2 feeders straight corn. Don't know if it will help but I am thinking thicket = sanctuary hopefully.

Comment

Originally posted by Tex21 View Post
          Aren't we all family on this site!!!

Comment

Is that Angelina County?? Just curious but is this place high-fenced? Not judging but my goodness you just don't hardly see 1 free range buck like that in east TX, let alone 3.

Comment

Originally posted by sqiggy View Post
              Aren't we all family on this site!!!
              Right? We're all brothers and sisters here.

Comment

Great bucks man, good luck!

Comment

My 2 targets for the year. Maybe I'll get lucky and see one in the daylight. I had another group of 4 but since they've broken up, these are the only 2 that still show up.
                  Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Etxbuckman View Post
                    Is that Angelina County?? Just curious but is this place high-fenced? Not judging but my goodness you just don't hardly see 1 free range buck like that in east TX, let alone 3.
                    Yes its Angelina county on 250 acres and not high fenced. The closest HF i know of is about 10-12 miles away and we have owned this property since I was 14(now 28). I am not sure where they came from but we have only shot 2 8 point in the 14 years that we owned it.

Theres been some 120-130 inch deer killed with trash on properties surrounding us but nothing compared to these. The first buck and the last buck were for sure on us last year but the 2nd I cant match up.

Comment

Yes its Angelina county on 250 acres and not high fenced. The closest HF i know of is about 10-12 miles away and we have owned this property since I was 14(now 28). I am not sure where they came from but we have only shot 2 8 point in the 14 years that we owned it.

Theres been some 120-130 inch deer killed with trash on properties surrounding us but nothing compared to these. The first buck and the last buck were for sure on us last year but the 2nd I cant match up.
                      That is impressive. There are definitely some great deer up that way but I can't help wonder if someone's missing their breeder bucks. LOL Hey either way they're fair game now.

Good luck getting on 'em.

Comment

Great bucks guys! I have a 3.5 8 point and a 3.5 spike showing up constantly so far. I know the spike will probably get an arrow because he was a spike last year and didn't grow hardly at all other than gain possibly a point on his right side but I doubt it makes the inch requirement. The reason I know he's the same deer is the unique throat patch. If you have a deer that stayed a spike two years in a row would y'all run an arrow through him? Polk county also if that means anything.

Comment

Originally posted by 97JeepGuy View Post
                          Great bucks guys! I have a 3.5 8 point and a 3.5 spike showing up constantly so far. I know the spike will probably get an arrow because he was a spike last year and didn't grow hardly at all other than gain possibly a point on his right side but I doubt it makes the inch requirement. The reason I know he's the same deer is the unique throat patch. If you have a deer that stayed a spike two years in a row would y'all run an arrow through him? Polk county also if that means anything.
                          I refuse to shoot 1.5 old spikes, but spikes over 2.5 are almost always fair game in my book. 3.5 he definitely needs to die.

Comment

Originally posted by 97JeepGuy View Post
                            Why yeah! Sho would

Comment

Originally posted by Etxbuckman View Post
                              That is impressive. There are definitely some great deer up that way but I can't help wonder if someone's missing their breeder bucks. LOL Hey either way they're fair game now.

Good luck getting on 'em.

Na, deer are just big this year. Although, about a 2 decades ago, we shot one on Tower Club that was a tagged buck off the Lowery place. He made quite the trip.

Comment

What time of the year do yalls bucks start showing up on cameras?

All I've had so far is a 7 point. They're usually active by now. I don't feed protein but typically start putting out corn around the first of August to get the does coming back in regularly. I hand corn and have one feeder for when i can't make it to put out corn.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                                X