2017-2018 East Texas Hunting Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SaltwaterSlick View Post
    Got three of my set ups going today. Also checked camera cards... thousand pics on three cameras in a week... All hogs... not one deer pic...
    They ball up like cottonmouths, float around and end up with 3X as many after floods.

Comment

Man those are all studs. If that don't get you pumped up for the season you need to be doing something else! We are thinking going archery only on 200 acres unless maybe it just gets to late season and we need some steaks. Do y'all think this is beneficial if everyone around us is gun hunting?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by SaltwaterSlick View Post
        Got three of my set ups going today. Also checked camera cards... thousand pics on three cameras in a week... All hogs... not one deer pic...
        I've been having the same problem. Today was the first time I've had deer on camera. A 4 point, and what looks like a 2-3 year old doe. It's a start...I'll take it, and hope it progresses.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Comment

Steve, I'm glad you posted pics now let's hope that folks can respect ALL of TBH'ers who enjoy your posts, and leave you alone for a change

I'm not on a lease this year, and the farm flooded and I lost everything there. I was able to save the frame for my feeder, and rebuilt it today. But I've been doing hurricane victim assistance every free minute since Harvey hit, so I didn't get to the farm until today to clean the feeder out and rebuild it. Man, that sucker was NASTY! �� But at least it's up, and I'll be keeping my fingers crossed that some deer show back up by youth weekend. I'm trying to get my boys their first bucks this year, that's about all I'm even gonna focus on. So I'm gonna follow your season like a crazy stalker always love seeing yours and Joogers seasons play out

Comment

Next weekend I'm going to try to put out a food plot with oats, peas, and maybe some chickory and/or clover. And may sit in the stand after and throw out some corn and see if I can't shoot one of those dang pigs that have taken over.

Haven't seen hardly any deer on camera yet but maybe if I can knock out a pig or two they'll start showing back up.

Comment

Quick question. This is my first year hunting out of a tripod, and I only have it 6 ft up as my buddy wasn't sure where he had the leg extensions.

Have any of y'all ever tied your tripod to t posts, similar to a feeder? There are pigs all over the place I am at.

Comment

Originally posted by NewBallCoach View Post
                Quick question. This is my first year hunting out of a tripod, and I only have it 6 ft up as my buddy wasn't sure where he had the leg extensions.

Have any of y'all ever tied your tripod to t posts, similar to a feeder? There are pigs all over the place I am at.
                At 6' I wouldn't do it. Mine's 16' and not tied off.

I'm always afraid I'm gonna slip and fall and get impaled by one. You hear it happening to guys every year.

Comment

Originally posted by Etxbuckman View Post

I'm always afraid I'm gonna slip and fall and get impaled by one. You hear it happening to guys every year.

Thanks, I never thought of that

Comment

Ran into a few of these this weekend.

Still nothing impressive on cameras. And we had several bucks survive. Sure hope they're laid up in the heat. Got plenty pigs though

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by NewBallCoach View Post

Originally posted by Etxbuckman View Post

I agree you shouldn't need to do t-post especially at 6ft.

However if you do them on your stand or feeder, drive them in the ground at the same angle as the legs that way they aren't sticking straight up. Much less likely to impale you if you fall.

Comment

Well we just got the boot. Sold our place a week before season lol. Going To pick up our stuff today. Anybody want to buy some feeders or ground blinds?

Comment

Originally posted by jbhunting39 View Post
                          Well we just got the boot. Sold our place a week before season lol. Going To pick up our stuff today. Anybody want to buy some feeders or ground blinds?

What kind of ground blinds?

Comment

The age of these buck are tricky for sure I have a bunch of bucks that are way older than you would think to look at them, and I think a large portion will get a certain size antlers and not get bigger no matter how much age they get. I mean +or- ten B&C. but that 120 isn't going to be 160 next year. Most of the time.
                            And one more thing if you have a lesser buck hanging around ,He needs to be taken out because they will run the other bucks away, Horn size really has nothing to do with dominance.
                            Sometimes you have to shuffle the deck,Lol

Comment

Well, I just got back from our place in Panola County. We got HIT BAD!!! Had one heck of a storm come thru over a month or so ago. Knocked over trees that 2 grown men with their arms wrapped around the trunk and not be able to touch each other are on the ground. Lost 3 feeders and 2 stands and out of 15 stands, only can access 5 of them. After 3 days of chainsaw'ing, can get to all but 3 now. It will take YEARS for this bottom to get back to what it was. Been hunting this place for almost 30 years and never seen anything like this.

Comment

The top 2 are for sure on the list and the 3rd one is on the bubble.
                                Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                                X