Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Lifetime Transmission Fluid. That's one I've never experienced.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tighter tolerances,better fluids=longer service intervals.Same with spark plugs.100,000 miles is pretty much standard now.

DJ

Comment

I'm more concerned about the electronic power steering

Comment

I would be willing to bet its because they use better, longer lasting material in the friction plates like they have done with brakes. I dont know who uses what, but now they have semimetallic, kevlar etc friction plates rather than the old school organic like in my '75 and '85 chevys. With less wear there is less foreign material to filter out. Cleaner fluid and less clogged filter mean longer life.

Comment

Had an 08 Mustang with no dispstick and the 12 Lincoln mkx has no dipstick for trans. Run it till it blows.

Comment

BTW, speaking of spark plugs above. Around ( roughly ) 100k on my wifes 2008 Tahoe I changed the plugs for the first time ( recommended 100k mi ). They all looked brand new. There was one that is super hard to get to unless you pull the wheel. I ran out of time so left it. I figured I would get to it when I had time, wasnt too worried since the others looked so good. Of course I never got around to it. Sold it at 249,000 mi and it never missed. Original factory spark plug.

Comment

Yea, Dodge has been sealing their transmissions since around 2009, I believe. It drives me crazy, because I want to check it. LOL. If it starts slipping you have to take it to a dealer to get it checked. I do like these on top of the motor oil filers dodge has been using. Easiest filter I have ever changed. First time the auto parts place gave me a filter, I though they were crazy.

Comment

Originally posted by eradicator View Post
                I'm more concerned about the electronic power steering
                I like the way they handle, but with Dodge's historical electrical problems, it does worry me. I love how responsive my New Challenger is.

Comment

Just changed my transmission filters on my 12 ram. Sucked to do but went 120k on stock filters and stock oil. Still looked perfect color so hoping to get a good while longer on it.

Comment

Aoto Tranny

I always wondered why they don't have a changeable spin on filter on AT..it would be so easy on line that goes to Radiator

Comment

Originally posted by crawdaddct View Post
                      Yea, Dodge has been sealing their transmissions since around 2009, I believe. It drives me crazy, because I want to check it. LOL. If it starts slipping you have to take it to a dealer to get it checked. I do like these on top of the motor oil filers dodge has been using. Easiest filter I have ever changed. First time the auto parts place gave me a filter, I though they were crazy.
                      I sure wish mine was on top. I had to take my 16 Ram for its first oil change the other day. First time I haven't changed my oil EVER.

Comment

Originally posted by crawdaddct View Post
                        Yep. My wifes Jeep GC has the 3.6 in it, and the filter is on top. Easiest oil changes ever. My 2014 Ram 1500 with the 5.7 has it underneath on the passenger side, and in a bad spot. I can never get it out of there without oil dripping all over various parts under it. I have resorted to putting a piece of aluminum foil over the components so it drips on the foil, and then carefully trying to fold it up without the oil going off the sides. I usually end up still cleaning some oil off various items. My first Dodge 1500 (2003) had the 4.7 in it. The filter was under the truck on the drivers side, and it had a little ramp under it for the oil to drip down into a pan once you pulled the filter. I liked that design. But the top-of-the-engine filters are awesome. Wish they would do that with the 5.7's. (or do they now?)

All the best,
                        Glenn

Comment

Originally posted by cva34 View Post
                          I always wondered why they don't have a changeable spin on filter on AT..it would be so easy on line that goes to Radiator
                          A lot of trucks do now. Along with spin on fuel filters.

Comment

If it's a ZF, I'd change the fluid anyway at 60k intervals. BMW tried to do this with the ZF 6HP transmission, until ZF stepped in and posted that the fluid should be changed every 60k.

I also changed my 4Runner's fluid at 100k. I don't do "lifetime fluid".

Comment

I've read that the lifetime transmission "designation" gets the manufacturers out of some fees/taxes associated with replaceable fluids and the environmental impacts. My Toyota FJ had lifetime transmission fluid. It developed a shutter at certain speeds. Online forums mentioned a change of the lifetime transmission fluid as a solution. Many people went and got new transmissions to fix the problem. I had my lifetime fluid changed on mine and it solved the problem.

Comment

Originally posted by eradicator View Post
                                I sure wish mine was on top. I had to take my 16 Ram for its first oil change the other day. First time I haven't changed my oil EVER.
                                It's not that bad on a 16 cummins, gallon zip-lock over the oil filter contains all the oil when you drop it. Easy breasy no mess.

Comment

Working...
                                X