Neighbor wants us to help pay for his high fence

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BrianL View Post
    Seems fairly resonable to me. OP runs cattle, and needs a fence for those cows, but not a high fence. Existing fence is must be in need of something because OP agreed to 1/2 the cost of a new low fence. If fence is built on property line both neighbors have use of fence, and saves the OP 1/2 the cost of building his own 5 wire fence for cattle.

HIgh fence will be there either way, but for a $1 a foot he will have a new fence and rights that he can tie off of corners. If HF guy builds fence 10-30' off the property line the OP still has to build new or repair his extisting fence at twice the cost.
    yep

Comment

Save him some money and have him high fence you property in with his then you will still have deer to hunt

Comment

Originally posted by bbqfan5909 View Post
        I'd pay half the cost for a low fence, the rest would be on him.
        Exactly.

Comment

Originally posted by F0WL_LIF3 View Post
          Literally posted above the post you quoted....

just to name a few

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I'm surprised by how all over the map most of the responses are. We went through this last year at our Menard County Pasture. Our neighbor high fenced his place at the time we were replacing all of our fences. We did not want to contribute to the high fence costs but we did share the cost for one-half of what the standard fence cost was. Done.

Comment

My wife has a Wildlife Biology degree and Every time I get riled up about high fences she tells me they will jump the fence if you've got better habitat on your side. Maybe the answer isn't to hate the high fence but to improve the habitat on your side of the fence so much that they don't want to be on the neighbor

Comment

You guys are missing a great opportunity.

1. Pay for whole fence on neighbors border along with the remaining side. Gives you 175 acres high fenced.
                2. Wait a couple of years
                3. Cut whole in high fence on neighbors side
                4. ????
                5. Profit

Comment

Me ... Hell, why don't I just pay for all of the high fence between our properties?

Him ... Really, that'd be fantastic!

Me ... No, nostradumbass, I just wanted you to see how ridiculous you're being!

Comment

Originally posted by Backwoods101 View Post

Nice try but not buying it

Comment

Originally posted by Quanah11 View Post
                      Legal consequences??
                      Texas is a fence out state. If you don't want something on your land then you have to fence it out. It isn't the owner of whatever's problem to repair the fence or build one for that matter. You could build a brand new fence as far away from the property line as you want and if a big bull goes over there and jumps through it. Then it's your job to fix the fence or build a better one. Not the owner of the bull. Look it up. I think it's called free range state or something like that. He should pay half of a low cattle fence and that's all . We have done the same on the ranch I run.
                      Not exactly. Back when the fence law was put into place, the counties were given the option to be "fence out" or "fence in". You actually need to check and not assume what your county opted for. The county sheriff or county judge should know.

I would be a good neighbor and reluctantly pay one half of typical low fence cost or probably in the neighborhood of $6000 per mile.

Comment

Originally posted by TxAg View Post
                        Nice try but not buying it
                        Wow, there was only 26 post prior to my comment and a couple after it saying to pay half, of the regular fence but ok

Comment

Tough situation, I think I may be inclined to try to sell out to him if that is an option. Best of luck.....

Comment

If you pay half tellem you want a gate put in it so you can open your half !

Comment

Working...
                            X