No announcement yet.

Neighbor wants us to help pay for his high fence

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So are you going to fence off the rest of your property when it's all said and done? 175 acre high fence ranch could be sweet.

Well would you just look at thaaat!!

Comment

Originally posted by Wampuscat View Post
      I'd tell him if he wants a high fence ranch, he can pay 100% of the cost, especially since you don't want it anyway. It'll stop all of the deer traffic across the fence line in/out of your property changing forever your hunting. If he wants his own 1000 acre hunting oasis, let him foot 100% of the bill. I don't see high fences as "the neighborly thing", to me they are the ultimate FU to a neighboring land owner who is a hunter.

I know some on here won't agree with me, but this is America.
      I see it pretty much exactly the same way.

Comment

I'd tell him if he wants a high fence ranch, he can pay 100% of the cost, especially since you don't want it anyway. It'll stop all of the deer traffic across the fence line in/out of your property changing forever your hunting. If he wants his own 1000 acre hunting oasis, let him foot 100% of the bill. I don't see high fences as "the neighborly thing", to me they are the ultimate FU to a neighboring land owner who is a hunter.

Comment

Yep and that means the landowner can do whatever he pleases with his land. Doesnt mean you have to pay for a dime of it just say no thanks and move on. Not sure why this is such a big deal to some.

Comment

Like others have said, price out a regular barbed wire fence and cut him a check for half of that and be done with it. I'd try and talk him out of it though.

Comment

Why is everyone saying to cut him a check for half of what it would cost for a regular barb wire fence? The only way I would do that is if that was what was being built. No way in hail would I contribute a dime of my money to him standing up a high fence.

Split the cost of a low fence if a low fence is actually built. If he wants to go the high fence route then that's all on his dime.

Comment

Originally posted by Truckville View Post
                Ha. I guess it costs nothing to ask.
                LOL, I would tell your neighbor to pound sand.

Comment

Heck no, I wouldn't give him a dime. That's his decision.

Comment

Originally posted by Throwin' Darts View Post
                    Why is everyone saying to cut him a check for half of what it would cost for a regular barb wire fence? The only way I would do that is if that was what was being built. No way in hail would I contribute a dime of my money to him standing up a high fence.

Split the cost of a low fence if a low fence is actually built. If he wants to go the high fence route then that's all on his dime.
                    Where did you read that? I haven't noticed anyone recommending to pay half of the regular fence....

Comment

Originally posted by Backwoods101 View Post
                      Where did you read that? I haven't noticed anyone recommending to pay half of the regular fence....
                      It has been mentioned numerous times throughout the thread

Comment

Originally posted by Backwoods101 View Post
                        Literally posted above the post you quoted....

just to name a few
                        Last edited by HunterU; 08-16-2017, 11:53 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by F0WL_LIF3 View Post
                          Literally posted above the post you quoted....

Comment

Tell him ok but your property will be included inside the high fence!! You will help manage the property

Comment

Originally posted by Throwin' Darts View Post

Seems fairly resonable to me. OP runs cattle, and needs a fence for those cows, but not a high fence. Existing fence is must be in need of something because OP agreed to 1/2 the cost of a new low fence. If fence is built on property line both neighbors have use of fence, and saves the OP 1/2 the cost of building his own 5 wire fence for cattle.

HIgh fence will be there either way, but for a $1 a foot he will have a new fence and rights that he can tie off of corners. If HF guy builds fence 10-30' off the property line the OP still has to build new or repair his extisting fence at twice the cost.

Comment

Originally posted by bbqfan5909 View Post
                                I'd pay half the cost for a low fence, the rest would be on him.
                                I would consider this.

Comment

Working...
                                X